Trigger finger fail...

This is a discussion on Trigger finger fail... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Bad news for the trigger finger. Late Friday night, the Marshal called me and asked me if I could fill in a shift that one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Trigger finger fail...

Senior Moderator

Trigger finger fail...

Bad news for the trigger finger. Late Friday night, the Marshal called me and asked me if I could fill in a shift that one of our Deputys was supposed to cover.

As I have done many times in my life during the high school days when I worked as a farm hand, that Deputy was picking up bales of hay, the square bales. Like I have done many times before, he had put the truck in low gear and walked beside it placing the hay bales in the back until it go tall enough that you couldnt reach the top of the stack. In a long field, this was a common thing to do back in the day. The low gear was slow enough that walking beside the truck was no issue. When you got to the end of the row, you just jumped in the truck, wheeled it around and started the next row. No big deal right?

Normally it is not. Except this time, as he wheeled the truck around he left the door open and with his left leg hanging out, he wheeled it around like he had done a hundred times before and in the middle of the turn he hit a hay bale that promptly and with force...slammed the door right on his leg. You know that had to hurt. Anyhow, he went to the ER and it was determined that he had bruised the bone, lost about 15% of blood inside his leg, which made it easily twice the size that it normally was. Naturally, he spent the rest of the day and night at the hospital.

So thats where I come in. The next morning, covering the 7-3 shift. I must have been thinking about it and been distracted, because when I parked my truck beside the patrol car to move my gear bag from the truck to the car, got everything unloaded and into the car, I closed the door to my truck...right on my tigger finger, that was laying right where it didnt need to be.

Needless to say, it hurt. Not only did it hurt, but I immediatley broke out into a sweat even though it was oonly 58 degrees. Here I was with the trigger finger of my gun hand stuck in the LOCKED door. Luckily I had the key fob in my hand and after a couple of dozen unsuccessful attempts to unlock the door using the one of two buttons, I finally got the right button, unlocked the door and pulled my badly bleeding finger out of it.

Not only was I hurt, I was mad as heck for being stupid enough to let that happen. I walked into the Marshals Office leaving an easy to follow blood trail, right into the bathroom where I stuck my finger underneath the faucet to clean it out and assess the damage. Now generally, I have a pretty high pain threshold, but when I stuck that finger underneath that stream of warm water, I must admit to letting out some expletives that I normally dont use. Now the water has the blood flowing freely and whole sink is turning a bright pretty red. I had to so something to stop the blood flow, as everything I was touching was leaving blood all over the place, which is totally unacceptable.So, I grabbed a paper towel, wrapped it around the finger, folded it over, and secured it was scotch tape. It worked great..for awhile...until is was soaked with blood. When I started leaving blooding fingerprints on the steering wheel, I went back to the office and redid it. I washed it off again, and the blood flow seemed to ease up. I actually thought about getting a few stitches in it, but I got a shoplifter call that I had to go to and that took awhile to take care of.

I got done with that call and had another, and another and another, and before you know it, what I had stuck on my finger had bled through again. Lucky for me I am left handed, so writing info for a report wasnt an issue, but I did get some awfully wierd looks from some of the people that I was dealing with.

Realizing I had to do something, I stopped in the Ambulance Office where the two EMT's were watching TV. I walked in and asked them if they could spare a minute. One of them spotting my blood soaked bandage, said," Hey! Your finger is bleeding!" My first thought can not be repeated here. My response was, "hey... thanks for the tip... do you think we could do something about it?".

The EMT lead, being a woman, grabbed my hand and removed my "field dressing". She made a few comments about it and asked me what happened. Not wanting to sound like a total dork, I lied to her. I told her that I got in a big fight and that a crackhead bit me. She gave me one of those looks that only a woman can give when she busts you in a lie and said, " I dont think so". Me, trying not to cringe and tear up at the same time as she washed it with a substance that reminded me of chicken blood, replied " How do you figure?".She informed me, "because we would be taking him to the ER if that actually happened".

"OK..you got me", I said. I actually slammed it in my car door when I came on shift. "What is it with you guys slamming doors on yourself,"
    she quipped. I just shrugged.What else could I say?

So her partner got some of that flesh colored guaze stuff that sticks to itself and he is wrapping my finger. And wrapping it, and wrapping it some more. He must of caught me eyeballing it, because he told me he didnt want it to "bleed through". If I didnt know him any better, I'd think he was being sarcastic and enjoying this little bandaging exercise way to much. I repsonded that I probably didnt have enough blood left in me to bleed through it.

Ya know...its amazing how many things we touch with our fingers and never even realize it. Now that I could count my hearbeats in the end of my finger, it became painfully apparent just how often it touched something.Its one of those things that you never think about or appreciate, until something brings it to your attention.

So I made it through the shift. I got home, took off my duty belt, pulled my Glock 21 out of the holster, unloaded the mag, jacked the bullet in the chamber out, catching it with my left hand and layed the gun on my dresser while putting all of my stuff away. Just on a whim, when I was done, I checked the chamber as I do everytime I pick the thing up and tried to stick my finger in the trigger.

Thank God I didnt have to use that gun. My finger was wrapped up so tight and big that I could even get the finger in the tigger guard. Thats right... I couldn't have shot that gun if I needed it. I could have used my third finger to shoot, but I might not have had the time to figger that out if I actually had to clear leather.

There's a lesson learned right there...and I removed that bandage, stuck a big bandaid on it and called it good. At least I can pull a trigger now if I needed to and yes it would hurt like heck, but I reckon it would be the lesser of two evils if I had to shoot.

Live and learn. It's a lesson that I'll never forget.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

Sorry to hear about your injury, but glad that greater problems did not arise.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Your story is pretty much exactly what happened to me two months ago. I didnt slam my finger in a door, but I dropped a weight on it at the gym. I split it wide open on the palm side, right across the top joint. Went to the EMS station across from my precinct and got it wrapped up. (That "sticks to itself" stuff is awesome!!).

I lucked out that it was not my trigger finger, or even my primary gun hand for that matter. Finger injuries still hurt like a monster though. I ended up with a broken finger, a gaping gash (took 2 days to stop bleeding, and after two months its still not healed) and probable nerve damage. I have no feeling in my finger, and it sucks.

Keep that sucker clean and well padded so it'll heal. Krazy Glue works miracles for stuff like this by the way... Drip a bunch onto the wound area and it'll seal it, keep it from opening, and even give you a hard protective barrier.

I wish you a quick recovery. Hand and finger wounds take a long time to heal. You are absolutely right. You dont realize how much you rely on all 10 digits to get you through the day. I think my showers got longer by about 5 minutes, and doing the dishes turned into a real PITA.

....that said, misery loves company! Welcome to the club!

To tell you the truth if you had to use your gun I'm willing to bet you wouldn't feel anything til it was over
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

OUCH! Man I bet that did hurt. I've never shut a digit in a car door, but I have smashed one with a hammer, and oh boy does it hurt.

I'm with "dukalmighty" on this one. If the need for the pistol would have presented itself, I'm sure you would have reacted with little thought given to the sore trigger finger.

But hey, any day that you can work a shift where the pistol stayed holstered has got to be a good one. Hope the finger heals up quickly.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    FYI: You can get "that sticks to itself stuff" at sporting goods stores. I got some to wrap my daughter's foot sprain recently. She is too small for a normal brace to work and ACE bandages get so big. I was able to wrap her foot and she was still able to wear her socks and shoes.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I wish you a speedy recovery sir. I'm actually surprised it didn't break it as well. I "locked" my index finger in a car door about 45 years ago... (back when it took a key to unlock a car door) I still remember the pain.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    My finger hurt just reading that. 'Wish you a speedy recovery.

VIP Member
    I once had both hands slammed in an oven door (not hot at the time) and I had to wait abut 10 minutes until somebody came and helped me. I feel your pain, but to be honest your injury sounds more painful than mine was afterwards. OUCH!
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Administrator
    Whose going to pick your nose for ya?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    About that trigger finger...you ought to try using the left clicker on a mouse to see exactly how many times that trigger finger gets used.I am getting pretty good at using my middle finger to click though. It hasnt seen that much use in years....
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

You guys got no respect... HG had to type all that story and the response with his nose! all hail HG!

Super Glue has been mentioned, it does work! (but not so well unless you can stop the bleeding.)

And ya know, I was gonna suggest HG was using some other appendage to type out the story, but then he'd have to give me points, and well, more effort on his part and a bigger callous on his nose and ... well... decided to save him the effort.
    It could be worse.
    "A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be."
    Wollard V Sheridan

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    About that trigger finger...you ought to try using the left clicker on a mouse to see exactly how many times that trigger finger gets used.I am getting pretty good at using my middle finger to click though. It hasnt seen that much use in years....
    My middle finger typically sees quite a bit of use

JD
    Administrator
    If it makes you feel any better, I had a staple gun accident and drove a 7/8" staple almost all the way into the tip of my thumb and nicked a nerve....worse part is that this was during a class I was teaching and had to have a student pull the staple out. It was not a pleasant experience.

Senior Moderator
    You didnt pull it out with your teeth? I'm kind of suprised, you being former Jarhead and all...
    thephanatik and tbrenke like this.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links