anyone else think he shouldn't have gotten paid

This is a discussion on anyone else think he shouldn't have gotten paid within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by INccwchris MAN TASED BY BORED UTAH COP...AND GETS $40,000! - YouTube Anyone else think this was a textbook use of a Taser, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: anyone else think he shouldn't have gotten paid

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    MAN TASED BY BORED UTAH COP...AND GETS $40,000! - YouTube

Anyone else think this was a textbook use of a Taser, the nutjob sued and won 40,000 bucks. What a rip off
    No. I wouldn't call it a textbook use of a taser. I do understand however how a lone cop attempting to deal with a belligerant and uncooperative motorist on the side of the road might see the need for quick and decisive control of the situation. The cop, at this point doesn't know to what level of uncooperativeness the motorist will escalate the situation. I wouldn't second guess the officer's actions here on the strength of the video. As for the mouthy and uncooperative speeder, I don't see him as deserving of a $40,000 jackpot for the consequences of his own idiotic behavior on the side of the road.
    Last edited by wmhawth; September 15th, 2011 at 06:08 PM.
    thephanatik likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    I've been ticketed wrongly and perhaps this guy feels the same way. Listening to the audio he's telling the LEO that is citing him for speeding before he crossed a speed limit sign. I support LE but for heaven sakes he was never threatening to the LEO and did not require being tasered. By the looks of it the sheer shock of having the tasered drawn upon him is what actually gets him tasered in the first place. Someone is allowed to disagree and or explain. When a ticket is written your choices are pay money via the mail or lose more money by being off work to fight the ticket and still probably have to pay a court fee. If this guy was passing through on vacation how does he fight a ticket in a courtroom in a city he doesn't live in. Like I said I support LEO's the vast majority are good people. Very few let that power go to their head and I think this was one of those. Now I can only comment on face value of the audio, but how would you react if a cop got this angry and drew a taser for trying to explain yourself?
    I would have to disagree, based on my interpretation of the video.

As it appears to me the individual was being arrested for failure to sign the cite. He was given instructions to facilitate his arrest and he chose to ignore them an take other action. Depending on departmental policy the taser is probably near the bottom of the force continuum of the department. You do not argue with someone you are arresting, you arrest them.

I didn't see any significant signs of anger in the officer's behavior, merely control of the situation.

Explain all you want as long as you follow instructions in the process.
    gasmitty and thephanatik like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Not text book at all. The officer was wrong and it cost the department 40,000.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I'm sorry guys. Maybe it's because I didn't sleep well last night, therefore, in addition to being old, I'm also cranky...but with all due respect, the only thing that I see here is the State's abuse of power by one of it's agents. Now I only watched this thing once, I couldn't hear the conversation, because of a combination of the wind in the mic and my own ears, and I shut it off shortly after the guy was tazed, as I simply couldn't watch any more. Law Enforcement does some good things, there are many officers who are dedicated to making the world better place. Unfortunately there are also some who, through the stress of putting their life on the line everyday, or of dealing with people regularly who have no concept of rational thought and may at any moment slip into the realm of bizarre behavior, or, of being exposed too regularly to the dregs and the underbelly of society, or who simply pin a badge to their shirts when perhaps they shouldn't, and slip too easily into the mindset that the LAW is God, I am the LAW, therefore I AM GOD and any disagreement on that matter will be dealt with, with ever escalating use of force, until you, as a lowly citizen are brought to submission, so help me, Me. I didn't see the citizen do anything deserving of being tazed.

Now I'm going to lie down and have a nap.
    nerdyvirgin likes this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

To honestly evaluate the officer's use of the taser would require knowledge of the position of the taser on his departments use of force continuum.

So Guantes, please don't confuse the tone of my reply because I have noted that you seem to speak with a certain level of inteligence so I'm not trying to be argumentative. I do not understand though, is refusing to sign a cite grounds for arrest? Is pointing at a sign while not even looking at the officer grounds for tazing? Seems to me this guy is a relativly good citizen type or so he thinks at least. He doesn't understand why the LEO is being so forcefull. That seems pretty telling to me.

I appreciate your decorum.

Yes, in some areas the signing of the cite is a release on one's own recognizance, to appear or pay the fine. Failure to sign makes you subject to immediate arrest.

It is not the sign pointing, but the refusal to submit to arrest and turning away from the officer after specific instructions that got him tasered. Again, I would state the the use of the taser may be dependent to some extent on departmental policy. Some departments have put the taser or oc at a lower level of force then even "soft" hands on.

I don't doubt that the man is probably a good citizen and therein may lie part of the problem. That being that he didn't realize that once an arrest has begun there is little wiggle room other than comply.

On a final note, although both may fall within departmental guidelines, some officers are more patient than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I appreciate your decorum.

Yes, in some areas the signing of the cite is a release on one's own recognizance, to appear or pay the fine. Failure to sign makes you subject to immediate arrest.

It is not the sign pointing, but the refusal to submit to arrest and turning away from the officer after specific instructions that got him tasered. Again, I would state the the use of the taser may be dependent to some extent on departmental policy. Some departments have put the taser or oc at a lower level of force then even "soft" hands on.

I don't doubt that the man is probably a good citizen and therein may lie part of the problem. That being that he didn't realize that once an arrest has begun there is little wiggle room other than comply.

On a final note, although both may fall within departmental guidelines, some officers are more patient than others.
    I guess this is the burden of the LEO, because that is an awfull lot of power for one man's decision on the spot.

I guess this is the burden of the LEO, because that is an awfull lot of power for one man's decision on the spot.
    No greater than the burden of the ccwr with the power of death on his hip.

In the grand scheme of lawsuits against police departments or other municipal agencies, $40K isn't a needle-mover. Even though the tasered guy's legal fees were part of the settlement, he didn't know that going in, with the chance of forking over a third or more of the settlement money to his lawyer, plus made his life "inconvenient" (to say the least) for half a year.

Here's a bit of advice: Don't speed, don't challenge cops who don't know you from Timothy McVeigh, and do what you're told. Inconvenient? Embarrassing? Sure, maybe. Worth a half a year of legal bickering, probably time off from work, and stressing out your pregnant wife? Unless you're a trust fund baby, I don't think so. This was a Pyrrhic victory at best, and disabuse yourself of any notion that this was a big embarrassment for the UHP. Life goes on.

The officer was wrong and it cost the department 40,000.
    No, it cost the department their monthly insurance premium.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I've been ticketed wrongly and perhaps this guy feels the same way. Listening to the audio he's telling the LEO that is citing him for speeding before he crossed a speed limit sign. I support LE but for heaven sakes he was never threatening to the LEO and did not require being tasered. By the looks of it the sheer shock of having the tasered drawn upon him is what actually gets him tasered in the first place. Someone is allowed to disagree and or explain. When a ticket is written your choices are pay money via the mail or lose more money by being off work to fight the ticket and still probably have to pay a court fee. If this guy was passing through on vacation how does he fight a ticket in a courtroom in a city he doesn't live in. Like I said I support LEO's the vast majority are good people. Very few let that power go to their head and I think this was one of those. Now I can only comment on face value of the audio, but how would you react if a cop got this angry and drew a taser for trying to explain yourself?
    The side of the road is not the time to debate the validity of a ticket. Does anyone REALLY think any cop is going to say "Gee whiz....I hadn't considered that, my mistake......have a nice day"
    Shut up, sign the ticket and save your debate for court. If you're out of state you can plead by mail or just suck it up and pay the ticket. I've contested 2 traffic tickets and 1 parking ticket by mail and got my fine back on all 3.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    No greater than the burden of the ccwr with the power of death on his hip.
    Touche'

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    MAN TASED BY BORED UTAH COP...AND GETS $40,000! - YouTube

Anyone else think this was a textbook use of a Tazer, the nutjob sued and won 40,000 bucks. What a rip off
    I sincerely hope you're not a cop. Refusal to sign a ticket? Really? How about "he tried to be in charge..." so he gets tazed? Then joking about it with the other officer? It's situations like this why people are beginning to have a widespread distrust of law enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    In the grand scheme of lawsuits against police departments or other municipal agencies, $40K isn't a needle-mover. Even though the tasered guy's legal fees were part of the settlement, he didn't know that going in, with the chance of forking over a third or more of the settlement money to his lawyer, plus made his life "inconvenient" (to say the least) for half a year.

Here's a bit of advice: Don't speed, don't challenge cops who don't know you from Timothy McVeigh, and do what you're told. Inconvenient? Embarrassing? Sure, maybe. Worth a half a year of legal bickering, probably time off from work, and stressing out your pregnant wife? Unless you're a trust fund baby, I don't think so. This was a Pyrrhic victory at best, and disabuse yourself of any notion that this was a big embarrassment for the UHP. Life goes on.

No, it cost the department their monthly insurance premium.
    Just because it's easier to let the state trample over your rights doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links