anyone else think he shouldn't have gotten paid

This is a discussion on anyone else think he shouldn't have gotten paid within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In rereading my disjointed fiddle-faddle of a post yesterday, I've got to say, "Thank God for a good night's rest!". I do still believe, however, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: anyone else think he shouldn't have gotten paid

In rereading my disjointed fiddle-faddle of a post yesterday, I've got to say, "Thank God for a good night's rest!". I do still believe, however, that the Trooper overstepped his bounds. The payout was justified.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    The man refused a lawful order. (which not about signing the ticket) Signing the ticket had nothing to do with the tasing. Walking away from the officer and heading back towards the car had everything to do with it. A roadside debate is not something you ever want to do.
    thephanatik likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Education can be painful sometimes. As this guy learned.
    A couple of points. In many jurisdictions as has been said refusal to sign the ticket gets you locked up. In Texas, there are only two traffic violations where the officer must issue a citation. If it is not an open container or a seat belt violation, citation vs custodial arrest is at the officer's discretion.

Legal arguments are for court rooms not the side of the road.

As Sixto pointed out the guy didn't ride the lightning until he was refusing a lawful order and was walking back to his vehicle. (fleeing from the officer)
    My old department the taser was below going hands on with a person on the force continuum. It was one step above not saying "please" anymore.

Back in the mid 1980's a certain municipality in Maryland had a $50,000 threshold for civil suits. If you sued for more it went to trial. For $50,000 or less they just cut you a check to make you go away. In 2011 Utah state and local governments budgets came to $23.3 billion. To a government ( who has insurance for this sort of thing, or even if they didn't) $40,000 is nothing.

But I wouldn't have given him a nickel.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    The tased guy should get a "Please help me, I'm talking and can't shut up" T-shirt. His lack of cooperation and compliance with the LEO was nearly total, regardless of the validity of the original stop. I'm curious as to what course of action those who found the use of the taser objectionable would recommend on the side of the road with not one, but two non-compliant subjects.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links