anyone else think he shouldn't have gotten paid

This is a discussion on anyone else think he shouldn't have gotten paid within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; MAN TASED BY BORED UTAH COP...AND GETS $40,000! - YouTube Anyone else think this was a textbook use of a Tazer, the nutjob sued and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: anyone else think he shouldn't have gotten paid

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

anyone else think he shouldn't have gotten paid

MAN TASED BY BORED UTAH COP...AND GETS $40,000! - YouTube

Anyone else think this was a textbook use of a Tazer, the nutjob sued and won 40,000 bucks. What a rip off
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

This motorist failed to understand PLAIN ENGLISH.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    MAN TASED BY BORED UTAH COP...AND GETS $40,000! - YouTube

Anyone else think this was a textbook use of a Tazer, the nutjob sued and won 40,000 bucks. What a rip off
    That is because the insurance company deduced that the court costs would outweigh the payout and decided to make an offer that calculated lower than the overall cost of court. Happens all the time even if the department is in the right. If there is a chance it will go to a jury trial, sometimes the payout is the more fiscally responsible option. Sad but true.
    limatunes and msgt/ret like this.

VIP Member
    Azchevy is quite likely correct.

I despise jury trials. The mind-numbing results recently highlighted by the media is only the tip of the iceberg of the travesties of justice that are handed down every day by 12-packs of inbred mouth-breathers.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    That is because the insurance company deduced that the court costs would outweigh the payout and decided to make an offer that calculated lower than the overall cost of court. Happens all the time even if the department is in the right. If there is a chance it will go to a jury trial, sometimes the payout is the more fiscally responsible option. Sad but true.
    Absolutely spot on.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I am not a lawyer so I follow the instructions I am given. Never been tased. The last time I was stopped was because I had a loose tie down strap on my trailer LEO was helping me out and that was about 5 years ago.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    I am not a lawyer so I follow the instructions I am given. Never been tased. The last time I was stopped was because I had a loose tie down strap on my trailer LEO was helping me out and that was about 5 years ago.
    Yah. I find it interesting that in my 46 years (which include quite a few in which I was not exactly a model citizen), have I ever had a situation where I experienced over-aggression from LEO's. Of course, it never occurred to me to give them lip or ignore their instructions when they busted me either.
    thephanatik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Azchevy is quite likely correct.

I despise jury trials. The mind-numbing results recently highlighted by the media is only the tip of the iceberg of the travesties of justice that are handed down every day by 12-packs of inbred mouth-breathers.
    You're right. It'd be much better if we let the government - i.e. the charging party in criminal cases - to also be the fact finder and decision maker. That's a much better justice system.

Sorry, but I can't help myself here. As an attorney it drives me nuts when I read things like this. Our legal system is far from perfect, but I implore you to find one that you think is better.

As for the situation in this case, I agree with azchevy, and it's not an uncommon practice. Sometimes the party getting sued would rather just settle and make the case go away for less money than it would cost to litigate through trial, especially if it's a close case that they may end up losing and paying much more in damages and (in some cases) attorneys' fees.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMia View Post
    You're right. It'd be much better if we let the government - i.e. the charging party in criminal cases - to also be the fact finder and decision maker. That's a much better justice system.

Sorry, but I can't help myself here. As an attorney it drives me nuts when I read things like this. Our legal system is far from perfect, but I implore you to find one that you think is better.
    Granted, I was a little harsh. However, I don't believe that I hinted anywhere that the government should determine the outcome. My point is more along the lines of disgust and frustration that I experience when my attorney throws up his hands and gives me that knowing look anytime that we go to a jury trial. He's one of the best, but the jury trial can take all common sense out of the equation.

Something better? Maybe a jury that consists of attorneys, LEO's, judges or other professionals that have had some documented exposure to law, deductive reasoning, and basic logic skills.
    thephanatik likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Not trying to hijack this thread but, I have thought for a long time about the notion of professional jurors. I would much rather be judged by someone being paid to do a good job, rather than by someone who doesn't want to be there, and is not even smart enough to get out of jury duty. Just my $.02
    msgt/ret and thephanatik like this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Id say the driver was under threat, duress, and coercion for a ...civil infraction...say what you will..I didnt see good police work in that UTUBE...in Washington LEOs dont need to force a "promise to appear" with a signature..just hand the ticket over..the promise to appear is now a affidavite of service filled by the LEO...simply a change of the court rules...

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Granted, I was a little harsh. However, I don't believe that I hinted anywhere that the government should determine the outcome. My point is more along the lines of disgust and frustration that I experience when my attorney throws up his hands and gives me that knowing look anytime that we go to a jury trial. He's one of the best, but the jury trial can take all common sense out of the equation.

Something better? Maybe a jury that consists of attorneys, LEO's, judges or other professionals that have had some documented exposure to law, deductive reasoning, and basic logic skills.
    Fair point on the government thing, but keep in mind that that's a huge part of why we have a jury system. The alternative in the old days was that the gov't literally acted out all the roles in the play.

As for paid jurors, not a bad idea in theory but if you're going to have a jury of attorneys and judges why not just have a bench trial before a judge? I can assure you that a group of 12 attorneys can be at LEAST as screwy as a group of 12 non-lawyers!

A jury certainly can throw common sense out of the equation, but it beats the alternatives that the framers and anyone subsequent to them have been able to come up with. At least both sides can have equal say in who gets selected on the panel, and then get to make the best case they possibly can to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Not trying to hijack this thread but, I have thought for a long time about the notion of professional jurors. I would much rather be judged by someone being paid to do a good job, rather than by someone who doesn't want to be there, and is not even smart enough to get out of jury duty. Just my $.02
    Therein lies part of the problem though. Jury duty was viewed as a service to one's community and an incredibly important part of living in our society - in fact, just about every judge I've ever seen tries to drive that point home. Unfortunately, too many folks these days view it as an inconvenience and something to try and dodge.

I recall hearing years ago, if your innocent get a court trial, if guilty get a jury trial.
    Its validity is debatable.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I don't know what the problem is,I was tased and mased at the same time,except for the rampant excretion of mucus I quite enjoyed it ,now I look foward to my qualls with the taser.

I've been ticketed wrongly and perhaps this guy feels the same way. Listening to the audio he's telling the LEO that is citing him for speeding before he crossed a speed limit sign. I support LE but for heaven sakes he was never threatening to the LEO and did not require being tasered. By the looks of it the sheer shock of having the tasered drawn upon him is what actually gets him tasered in the first place. Someone is allowed to disagree and or explain. When a ticket is written your choices are pay money via the mail or lose more money by being off work to fight the ticket and still probably have to pay a court fee. If this guy was passing through on vacation how does he fight a ticket in a courtroom in a city he doesn't live in. Like I said I support LEO's the vast majority are good people. Very few let that power go to their head and I think this was one of those. Now I can only comment on face value of the audio, but how would you react if a cop got this angry and drew a taser for trying to explain yourself?
    Dadsnugun and nerdyvirgin like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links