To Blend or not To Blend - Page 2

To Blend or not To Blend

This is a discussion on To Blend or not To Blend within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Old School National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund: Latest Memorial Fund Research Bulletin Latest report nationwide on LEO deaths. A considerable increse ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: To Blend or not To Blend

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund: Latest Memorial Fund Research Bulletin

Latest report nationwide on LEO deaths.

A considerable increse in firearms related deaths this year .

OS
    A very good friend of mine retired this year from the local Sheriff's department, pushing up his retirement considerably early, because of this statistic. This year has been a very bad year for LEO deaths, with three and a half months to go.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Senior Moderator
    I stay in bed all day with the covers pulled over my head, doors and windows locked, the drapes pulled and a sign in the front yard that says, "Foreclosure" so people will think I'm poor and not worth robbing.

Okay, seriously though, I have so much more important things to worry about than whether or not I'm drawing undo attention to myself. Honestly, I don't even know what that really means. I can be targeted just because I'm white or female or because of my kids. I could be targeted because of my choice of car or because I wore red today instead of blue. I could be targeted for anything and if I worried about it all I WOULD never leave my house.

No, I don't wear obscene clothing or anything. I'm polite and friendly but that's more out of personal taste and my own personality than anything. I don't wear a lot of jewelry from day to day because it gets in the way of daily life but if I want to look nice, yes, I will wear nice jewelry, nice clothes and expensive shoes. I'm not going to dress down for a special occasion just because someone might target me.

JD and I went to Vegas this year and our last night in town we had a huge evening planned. He wore a very sharp suit. I wore one of the nicest dresses I own. I wore good jewelry and we walked all over Vegas getting tons of comments on how sharp we looked. We drew a lot of attention to ourselves. We stuck out like a sore thumb but it was a BEAUTIFUL and perfect night. No one attacked us. No one threatened us. We made wonderful memories and I don't think I go a week without smiling when I think about what a great night that was. I wouldn't trade that just because someone MIGHT target us because we decided we wanted to put our best food forward didn't care if we stuck out.

I guess I feel life is too short to let the potential bad guys win by making me alter my life to make sure I don't attract them.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I agree with Limatunes. In order to incur personal violence you need a triad of things. You need to appear vulnerable, you need to be isolated (as in a secluded place) - evil hates daylight, and you need the wrong attitude. If you have a good attitude are out in the open, even though a bit vulnerable, you're not really a target.

In fact look around you. There are probably dozens of people more vulnerable than you and better targets.

A mother putting a baby in a car seat in the back of her van, pregnant with a new child. She's unaware, purse full of money, back to the environment, preggers so can't run or defend (allegedly). She's not targeted. Why? Maybe even muggers have a code against targeting pregnant mothers who have a child to care for with one on the way. Now, if she was doing that in the basement of a parking garage at night in a bad part of town, all bets are off.

The ones with the truly evil intent are off doing their own thing, targeting specific persons (hookers, truckers, etc.)

It's hard to know how to act in today's world, but you have to be yourself and have due diligence and you'll be happy and unencumbered. $.02

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund: Latest Memorial Fund Research Bulletin

Latest report nationwide on LEO deaths.

A considerable increse in firearms related deaths this year .

OS
    No argument with these figures, nor that they are troubling. But remember, to compare them to that 1970s peak in an apples to apples sense, you have to cut the current number approximately in half to make up for the twice-as-large number of cops we have these days. (For the same reason, it should be of no interest to you when the TV news tells you "murders are up this year" in X city, unless they are using a rate per population, not just a number. Well, it should be of interest, but just because it's more evidence of the innumeracy of most reporters, not because it means anything.)

But none of this changes the fact that it's quite a spike compared to last year, yes.

Actually, not to hijack, but I do get the sense on this site that it is very important to a lot of people to believe "things are getting worse." Is it because, if things weren't getting worse, you wouldn't feel *as* justified in carrying/thinking about self defense? I would imagine that, in some cases, there might even be an element of needing to "convince" a dubious spouse or family member that, while NORMALLY you would agree that there is "no need to bring that thing," given how "everything is going to hell" you are forced into it—and every "bleeds it leads" news story just helps prove the point?

Again, before I am misunderstood, let me just reemphasize that I am in agreement about the legitimacy of self-defense, the importance of RKBA, etc. But I just notice a lot of fear mongering out there that I think is not helping people really grasp the way the world is right now. (I assume it will be obvious to most people that simply responding with a bunch of "bad news" articles won't really counter what I am saying here, as opposed to coming up with some way that the graphs on this page are wrong: Crime in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

I never worry about this stuff, really. I do take precautions that are common sense measures, but not gonna alter my lifestyle or change who I am for no damn body. The only reason I carry is for the same reason I have a spare tire, or a box of band aids. I think no more of puting a gun in my pocket, waistband, or belt than I do about putting my boots on or wallet in my pocket. Even under physical unarmed assault, I have not thought about drawing, although if I am getting my arse kicked in a bad way, this may change.

Life is to short to worry about the boogie man around every corner, or constantly dwell on self defense. Most of the so called bad guys out there change their attitudes toward you with a little tap on the head.
    BRTCP88 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

An interesting subject.

My dress is like most people in a casual mode, so I don't stand out in that respect. Within the general population, without scrutiny I blend in ok. Under more specific observation, apparently I don't do as well. Whether due to alertness, demeanor, manner of movement, "the eyes" or whatever, I'm not sure, but in a casual setting I often get the same question. "Are you a cop?"

I make some effort to avoid the three "S"s but it does not control my life. I have a close friend that I visit and when I do one of our rituals is burritos from the barrio, often late at night. These places are often busy in the late hours with individuals of various levels of character and affiliation. We have never had any trouble, but it is obvious to us that they know who we are, even sans uniform.

So overall, I probably get a "C".
    Old School and limatunes like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Even if you wore full hunting garb in my area you would still blend in. Almost every vehicle around here has an NRA sticker (including mine.) Once I actually start carrying, I don't know if I'll still wear my NRA hat though, not because I'm afraid of being targeted, but because I don't want to scream "I've got a gun" if I need to discretely draw on someone who's holding me at gun/knife point.

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    Even if you wore full hunting garb in my area you would still blend in. Almost every vehicle around here has an NRA sticker (including mine.) Once I actually start carrying, I don't know if I'll still wear my NRA hat though, not because I'm afraid of being targeted, but because I don't want to scream "I've got a gun" if I need to discretely draw on someone who's holding me at gun/knife point.
    Does it scream "i have a gun" when you wear it now while you're not carrying? From the description of your area sounds like not wearing the hat would make you stick out.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Does it scream "i have a gun" when you wear it now while you're not carrying? From the description of your area sounds like not wearing the hat would make you stick out.

Michael
    Well, I exaggerated a bit. There are a lot of cars with gun related bumper stickers (my favorite was one that said "golf is for people who haven't fired automatic weapons) but there are also a lot that don't. But I just meant if someone pulls a gun on me and says "gimme your wallet" I want him to think I'm actually reaching for my wallet until he hears "BANG."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    I just went clean shaven and it troubles me because I'm somewhat androgynous and having both ears pierced, and fairly lean, could be mistaken for the opposite gender (lol) in some situations. (*)

But I realize I probably look totally masculine and just a bit metro and not at all like a victim to other people. I just tend to look too closely at myself and feel inappropriately vulnerable or something. Just takes some time to get used to your new appearance, I think. Don't sweat it.

(*) it's my girlfriend's idea - piercings and shaving...
    Not that you asked, but my orientation is also metro, though I could swing for a farmer's daughter in the right situation. Distracting avatar, Badger. Congratulations.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Just googled metro. I'm still not sure what we are talking about. I had always thought it was something to do with a big city?

Michael

When I go out, which isn't very often, I try to blend in and PROFILE, PROFILE, PROFILE. Body language that seems odd, raises a red flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    I believe everyone should be on the lookout to minimize their chances of being victimized, but this:

...is not true. Check out the graphs on this page. After a massive spike through the 1980s and early 1990s, violent crime rates in all major categories are down to about 1970 levels. Results vary in specific locations, however, such as when your neighbor is a drug dealer, etc. (For that matter, on-the-job deaths of LEOs are also way down, historically speaking:

There is no surer way to be misinformed than to watch TV news.
    Despite attention-grabbing headlines, we also should bear in mind that today there are more than twice as many sworn police officers as there were serving in the early 1970s.
    And that's all well and good unless you live near an area like DC where it's consistently shown on the nightly news that those same sworn police officers ARE the BG's! Granted I'm throwing out the baby with the bathwater here, but...
    Ishmael likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

There are probably times when "blending in" is a good move. In such cases, I strongly doubt that the presence or absence of a goatee is going to make much of a difference.

The larger point, though, is that if you're thinking about not wanting to stand out, then perhaps you might want to re-orient your perspective. Like the sign says, "Forget about the dog - beware of owner."

In any self-defense program, you'll hear pretty much the same thing: Don't look like prey. Don't take small, hesitant steps, with your head down. Stride confidently, like you know where you're going and roll your steps smoothly. Look around, watch people - act like a predator.

And when you adopt this kind of posture, you are in a much better position to spot threats because when you think like a predator (or "sheepdog," to use the term du jour), you notice the people who are occupying strategically important spots, watching others, being prepared to act.

None of the above should be construed as a suggestion to behave in a hostile manner. Rather, it's about creating an overall picture in the eyes of potential threats that you are "not an easy target." When the criminal element is looking about, assessing possible marks, they should immediately rule you out unconsciously. You won't have any of the characteristics of what they're looking for.

A big part of that involves being fully engaged in the moment. You might look like a person of means and be - all things being equal - a nice victim. Yet, if you're active and living with a bright sense of life and seem purposeful, you'll likely "fail" the preliminary interview. As opposed to someone lost in thought, ambling along and texting their smartphone, or looking fearful and weak. It's a gestalt thing.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links