What's the Real Story Behind the Decline of Cocaine Usage in this Country? - Page 2

What's the Real Story Behind the Decline of Cocaine Usage in this Country?

This is a discussion on What's the Real Story Behind the Decline of Cocaine Usage in this Country? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It appears that we have come full circle with heroin....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What's the Real Story Behind the Decline of Cocaine Usage in this Country?

It appears that we have come full circle with heroin.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Pseudoephedrine
    Gracias!

Don't mean to argue with Sixto because he is much closer to the subject than I will ever be but meth does not seem to be on a decline in rural areas of Tennessee. Last year over 2800"labs" were busted in this state. The new 2 liter bottle method is taking over. Counties, and a few cities, are strapped to pay for the cleanup now that the feds no longer cover the cost. Every week our weekly paper has folks, mostly in their late 20's, 30's, or early 40's listed in the sheriff's arrest reports for meth related crimes.
    TheGiant likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If anybody here is a street drug "expert" I guess its me. I've spent several years as a narcotic detective all over the midwest. What was the question?
    Thanks for your first-hand knowledge input. I mostly wanted to know if the reiterated version of history as the show presented was mostly accurate but my biggest question is what drives the illegal drug market? Why would people switch from one drug to another? Why is Cocaine on the decline? It sounds like from everyone's input that there are a variety of factors. When there is a crack down on any drug, it gets harder to buy it and when that happens, a switch is made to a more readily available drug. It also sounds like that sometimes a newer & supposedly better drug comes along that offers a better high and can do so on the cheap. Finally, it sounds like that when a drug earns a really nasty reputation because of the way it has ruined people's lives, people will mover over to a drug that doesn't have a stigma attached to it.

This is at least what I'm gathering from things as to how they have presented in this thread. I missed mentioning prescription drugs and that seems to be the big thing now, maybe even more so than Meth.

If history is an indicator, it appears that there may be some change in legislation that will make prescription drugs harder to get and when that happens, a move to another drug will happen again.

VIP Member
    My view appears to be dated. Thanks Sixto and others for the update.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    My view appears to be dated. Thanks Sixto and others for the update.
    +1 for me too. Thanks for the input Sixto, I didn't know all of that about heroine. From what I hear around here, prescription drugs are very popular but I'm in a rural community and it may be that heroine hasn't made it here yet or it may also be like you said; people don't talk about and admit to it...so it could be here and I just don't know about it because mum's the word.

Administrator
    Yes, prescription drugs are abused at a huge rate too. But, at least they are some what controlled both access and quality wise. Often times, once a "patient" is cut off of prescriptions is when then turn to heroin, as it is chemically the same(opiate base) once the body starts processing it. Prescription abuse is nothing new. Its been going on for a long long time. Longer than any of use have been alive I'm sure. But, it is getting more and more well known, everybody knows what Oxycontin is. Slap a name brand on it and put it out there for profit, and its a household name within months.

Meth is still prevalent in the rural areas, as its harder to come by heroin off the major routes. For example, in my area, Heroin is super easy to come by in Dayton and Cincinnati, both are a part of the major shipping artery from Detroit and points west, and continuing into the south east. Indianapolis is in the same soup.

What drives all this? The same things that downfalls every great society throughout history.

Money.

Power.
    DefConGun likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links