For those in Indiana....

For those in Indiana....

This is a discussion on For those in Indiana.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I moved here in 2010 from Tennessee. i love Tennessee and will move back one day. For now we live in Indiana and we really ...

Thread: For those in Indiana....

For those in Indiana....

I moved here in 2010 from Tennessee. i love Tennessee and will move back one day. For now we live in Indiana and we really don't love it here but, today I found something I do love about it.

One thing I can say about Indiana is that it seems to be a very patriotic state. I like that. Today, my wife had an interview downtown in Indianapolis. She really doesn't like driving in the city and since I was off this morning I told her I'd drive her and I'd just walk around the down town area while she did her interview. So that's what I did. And I found the Indiana War Memorial in down town Indy. IWM: Home

The sign says there is a museum in the basement and I had time to kill so I figured why not. It's free after all. I didn't really expect much, it is in the basement. I figured it would be a small museum. Boy, was I wrong. This is one of the nicest Veterans museums I have ever seen. It's big. It includes actual artifacts from the Revolutionary war era, the war of 1812, Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm (my war), and the current wars we fight. There is a piece of the World Trade Center and a piece of the Pentagon facade in a 9/11 room that you can touch! The Vietnam area has an actual Cobra attack helicopter. There is a WWII Jeep, many, many rifles and handguns from different wars. So much to see and study. The actual bugle that sounded the official end of WWI is there.

I had no idea that General John J. Pershing laid the cornerstone when it was built. The bronze statue outside that faces South is the largest bronze casting that has ever been made in the USA. This place is amazing.

it is open to the public Wednesday through Sunday 9am to 5pm and free of charge. It is beautiful and reverent inside and a perfect memorial to Veterans. It is now my favorite place in Indiana.

I would urge anyone who lives here to go and experience it. If you are just visiting the city I would urge you to see it as well.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    Sounds pretty neat-
    "Just blame Sixto"

What a nice review, TN_Mike, you've just reminded me that it's been years since I wandered through our local museum of history and I think tomorrow would be a good day to revisit it...anyway, thanks, and if I'm ever out Indianapolis way, I'll be sure and check that one out too! Nice find!
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Great review, nice to know some people still care about the past.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

What a wonderful thing Mike. I wish we had something like that where I live because my state has a rich history with all of Pre-America and American conflicts.

Even in the sometimes dark cloud of where you are, you indeed found that silver lining.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Mike, you will be surprised to hear that there are all kinds of neat things here in our State. The Civil War Museum at the Soldiers & Sailors Monument, The Medal of Honor Memorial, The new 9/11 Memorial, The Children's Museum, The Eiteljorg Western & Native American Museum, and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum here in Indianapolis. The Auburn/Cord/Duesenberg Museum in Auburn; The Studebaker Museum in South Bend; The Railway Museum in French Lick; The Armor Museum in Crawfordsville; Conner Prairie in Fishers; The Military Museum in Vincinnes; Wolf Park in Battle Ground; The John Dillinger Museum in Hammond; The National Muzzleloading Rifle Association Shoots in Friendship in June and September. And any number of other things around the state.
    Steve
    An armed society is a polite society

Thanks for the heads up, usually there is a very short list of places I'm willing to go inside of I-465, but we still head to the Indy area every few weeks so I'll add this to the list of things to do.

I've been in IN just shy of 6 months now, that first month or two was a little scary; and when people heard where I moved to in the state other people from Indiana would apologize. Now that I've gotten settled and learned where to avoid locally, and accept the fact I've got to drive an hour or two to get to bigger cities; it's really not so bad, and since I've lived here, I've taken advantage of the outdoor resources of State Parks, Forests and wildlife areas more than I ever had in the past, attended the county and state fairs (yup disarmed for the fair the day of the stage collapse) for the first time ever, any where I've lived. The good is definitely here in IN, as you've shown, you just have to go out and find it. There was a study not too long ago that ranked IN "3rd most free state" in the union (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...9bQBAkhz_-)and I maintain our gun laws are more free after July 1, 2011 than in TX or FL, we just don't get the same publicity and I'm okay with that.

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Steve666 View Post
    Mike, you will be surprised to hear that there are all kinds of neat things here in our State. The Civil War Museum at the Soldiers & Sailors Monument, The Medal of Honor Memorial, The new 9/11 Memorial, The Children's Museum, The Eiteljorg Western & Native American Museum, and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum here in Indianapolis. The Auburn/Cord/Duesenberg Museum in Auburn; The Studebaker Museum in South Bend; The Railway Museum in French Lick; The Armor Museum in Crawfordsville; Conner Prairie in Fishers; The Military Museum in Vincinnes; Wolf Park in Battle Ground; The John Dillinger Museum in Hammond; The National Muzzleloading Rifle Association Shoots in Friendship in June and September. And any number of other things around the state.
    I and my wife and kids all love to go to museums Steve. i will for sure check those out. We have been to the Clidren's Museum. in fact, we bought a family membership. It is a pretty good museum. We will check out the others you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, usually there is a very short list of places I'm willing to go inside of I-465, but we still head to the Indy area every few weeks so I'll add this to the list of things to do.

I've been in IN just shy of 6 months now, that first month or two was a little scary; and when people heard where I moved to in the state other people from Indiana would apologize. Now that I've gotten settled and learned where to avoid locally, and accept the fact I've got to drive an hour or two to get to bigger cities; it's really not so bad, and since I've lived here, I've taken advantage of the outdoor resources of State Parks, Forests and wildlife areas more than I ever had in the past, attended the county and state fairs (yup disarmed for the fair the day of the stage collapse) for the first time ever, any where I've lived. The good is definitely here in IN, as you've shown, you just have to go out and find it. There was a study not too long ago that ranked IN "3rd most free state" in the union (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...9bQBAkhz_-)and I maintain our gun laws are more free after July 1, 2011 than in TX or FL, we just don't get the same publicity and I'm okay with that.
    May I ask why the first month or two were scary? Honestly, coming from Memphis Tennessee, with 145 street gangs, upwards of 45,000 members in those gangs, many murders and other violent crimes, I have yet to find a place in Indianapolis that I really feel even warrants being armed. I still am of course but compared to where we are from, Indianapolis is amazingly safe.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I'll have to make a trip up there sometime.

Recently in the vicinity my current workplace, I found the county's memorial for Marines who gave their lives in World War 1, a display with every flag that has ever been associated with this country, going back to the St. George's cross flown on the Mayflower, through the Union Jacks, the Betsy Ross Flag, the Gadsen flag, and all of the other iterations until today's. And a statue of Abraham Lincoln without a beard.

I always like finding cool pieces of history/places like that.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Links