The Saga of my revolver and the crazy lady.

This is a discussion on The Saga of my revolver and the crazy lady. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Eighteen months ago I put my five shot hammerless 38 up for sale. A lady, just a mile away called up and wanted it at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The Saga of my revolver and the crazy lady.

Distinguished Member

The Saga of my revolver and the crazy lady.

Eighteen months ago I put my five shot hammerless 38 up for sale. A lady, just a mile away called up and wanted it at full price. Little did I know. She seemed (and is) a sweet old lady. She complained that a former yard worker had been casing her house out in the twilight and banging on the garbage cans and she was terrified. As the sale was complete the "yard worker" became a grown derelict neighbor's son. I could feel my stomach start a quarter turn. It was obvious she was clueless about firearms and I gave her the card of a local gun shop that had classes for women. She had the deed and gun and I had the cash. She suddenly realized it was hammerless and was disturbed so I offered to buy it right back on the spot. No deal. I called her twice that week to see if she wanted to sell it. No deal. She wanted me to go and buy one with a hammer and then she'd trade. Oh, yeah, that's a good idea.

I called the city cops and told them of my concern. No deal. Unless a neighbor or relative intervened (she lived alone) or there was evidence of mental illness (at a hospital/clinic) there was nothing they could do. Oh, man, I was one sick puppy. I called her a couple more times - no deal. Last week, through Google, I was able to find her address (unlisted) and phone number. I also got my bill of sale and recopied and printed out - only in reverse. Today, on the way home from work, I shot up a prayer and called her number. I was just about to hang up - it rang forever - when she answered it. She recognized me immediately.

So I cleared my throat and made a fourth appeal to buy it back. Immediately she said yes. She was now afraid of it, never had classes, would not touch it, blah, blah, blah. Whewww. I went over immediately and in less than five minutes I had my revolver back. NEVER AGAIN!!! All I could think of was her blasting her neighbor or trash man away and ATF finding me as the original owner. Never so glad to own a Taurus.
    CaptSmith likes this.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

2. Remove Ads

As long as there was nothing Illegal about the sale you would have no liability,only liability would be if you knew the person you were selling to was prohibited from owning a firearm
    MinistrMalic and garyacman like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    As long as there was nothing Illegal about the sale you would have no liability,only liability would be if you knew the person you were selling to was prohibited from owning a firearm
    Very true, but you'd still feel bad.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    It all worked out, and many valuable lessons were learned in the process. Heck, I learned a couple just by reading the original post. Thanks.

That's the problem when dealing with humans, you just never know who may be capable of what. I think however, it would not have mattered one way or another if you legally sold her a revolver and she used it in a bad way. You have no liability on what a person does with an object because you cannot "see" into the future if indeed there is one.

It would be the same as selling an automobile to someone who is thinking of running over their neighbor or someone else. You just cannot know what a person is thinking or may do. Let it rest, you came out ok in the long run.
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Glad you were persistent. Probably all that would have happend is her heirs would have found a surprize!

But you just never know.

Maybe the next sale to a CCW holder.

VIP Member
    For me, there is a big difference between civil liability and personal responsibility. If something bad came of something I facilitated, liable or not, it would trouble me. There are people I know well who I will not even show a firearm to, let alone sell to. Perfect strangers NEVER get a glimpse, let alone a receipt.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    That criteria in and of itself carries no weight with me, either.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    AZNAV, the FBI would not have had a thing to say about it from a legal perspective. She wasn't a prohibited possessor and you legally sold it to someone else. So they would have paid you a visit, you would have shown them your bill of sale, and they would have gone their way.

That's not to say that you wouldn't be morally responsible, but legally you'd be good to go.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member
    Good job on the perseverance. You something wasn't right and followed up. Also, it was very generous of you to offer her money back. Most people woul dnot have bothered.

VIP Member
    I hope never get so desperate to sell a gun to someone who shouldn’t have one. Just like you, I don’t want my name associated with any such transaction.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member
    +1!@!

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I hope never get so desperate to sell a gun to someone who shouldn’t have one. Just like you, I don’t want my name associated with any such transaction.
    Well, now, it depends on what "desperate" is. I was desperate for a Sig 232. Oh, shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Very true, but you'd still feel bad.
    Feel bad... what is this feel bad of which you speak???
    Steve
    An armed society is a polite society

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links