Does any boy else find this a little extreme on the "morbidity scale"?

This is a discussion on Does any boy else find this a little extreme on the "morbidity scale"? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; TARGET-300 - Zombie Bleeding Target "Chris" 33.5" Tall and Includes a Mounting Stake ...I just don't like it....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Does any boy else find this a little extreme on the "morbidity scale"?

Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Not morbid or extreme... just gimmicky and expensive...

Lots of people have seen the Deadliest Warrior show on Spike TV. They use this type of thing so they assume other people will want it.

One thing my instructor insists on is a target with a face. Reason being is that it drives home the reality of what you are training to deal with the eventuality of. You spend years shooting at a circle & when a human being (BGs) present themselves to you, it may be a ton harder to see the threat for what it really is than if you have trained for the actual eventuality. I know it is the psychological aspect of this he is concerned with.
    Justified likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Yeah I don't quite get it either.

A lot of money for a target that you are going to blow the heck out of in one outing. Of course if you have a tv show budget.....
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Not morbid or extreme... just gimmicky and expensive...

Lots of people have seen the Deadliest Warrior show on Spike TV. They use this type of thing so they assume other people will want it.

One thing my instructor insists on is a target with a face. Reason being is that it drives home the reality of what you are training to deal with the eventuality of. You spend years shooting at a circle & when a human being (BGs) present themselves to you, it may be a ton harder to see the threat for what it really is than if you have trained for the actual eventuality. I know it is the psychological aspect of this he is concerned with.
    I understand where your instructor is coming from, and he may have a point. Speaking purely for myself, though, when I practice, be it with silhouette, bulls-eye, or even tin cans, for that matter, it is never far from my consciousness that I may actually be training for a real life encounter with a human being someday (God-forbid), so I always look at my hits as to how they would relate to COM or head shots or whatever. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm trying to hit a point in space, regardless of the form it takes. I don't think I'd have difficulty distinguishing where to put my rounds if a bad guy attacked, even if he wasn't wearing a bulls-eye on a chain around his neck.

Also, I'm not saying anything against the myriad of human form paper targets that are out there, silhouette or more realistic or even photo-realistic targets. I think they're fun for the most part. Yesterday, for example, I found a barely used zombie target at the range, the Birchwood Casey splatter design, and I had tons of fun punching holes through it with my SW15 Sport at 100 yards. I don't know if this makes me a hypocrite or not. I just find the Cheaper Than Dirt "Chris Zombie" to be glorifying the act of using the human form for target practice, and appealing to mans baser instincts, rather than usefully providing practice for a situation we hope to never encounter (an attack by a real bad guy...not a zombie infestation)...

Having said that, if I happened to find a barely used "Zombie Chris" laying around at the range, I'd probably shoot the heck out of it too (but I'd put a baby blue helmet on it first ).

I'm such a slug...
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

I can get targets and a couple boxes of ammo for what that costs!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I do like to practice on targets that are not just black and white/yellow. Might be a bit harder to find and stay on target with a flennel shirt or heavily patterned shirt.
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I want royalties, they used my name!

I think its cool. Its a bit pricey, but I would have no issues using this type of target as a trainer....
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Hell no, if I had the funds I take it our for a fun day at the range.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Sponsor
    Yeah, I'm not going to pay $80.00 for one but it would be cool for a short time!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

These are cheaper. Not my style, but pretty neat.

Darkotic

I just go with the standard scum bag in field jacket with a revolver target. And aim for the zipper.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Onion bag full of paintballs would work just as well. I have scooped up a discarded manikin body are two from the landfill for practice but can not see myself spending 80 for a target.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I think it's a great idea. Too bad these are so bloody expensive and only usable one time. Also I'd like to see a complete mannikin-like arrangement so one could practice hitting the vital zone with the target set in unusual positions.

The more life-like the target the better they are at conditioning one to fire at a live person. This is the state of the art in training theses days. Not zombie of course, but photo likeness and falling targets. It's how the U.S, Military has increased their combat firing rate from around twenty percent up to 85-90 percent; man-shaped reactive targets.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    These are cheaper. Not my style, but pretty neat.

Darkotic

I just go with the standard scum bag in field jacket with a revolver target. And aim for the zipper.
    Went to the site to check out the targets outta curiosity...thanks for the stroke
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links