What kind of gun safe do you have?

This is a discussion on What kind of gun safe do you have? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Mods...if this is the wrong forum, please move... I'm looking to get a good gun safe that will hold handuns, long guns, ammo, documents, etc... ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What kind of gun safe do you have?

What kind of gun safe do you have?

Mods...if this is the wrong forum, please move...

I'm looking to get a good gun safe that will hold handuns, long guns, ammo, documents, etc... I'd love to have an hour of fire protection. Recommendations anyone? What do you guys and gals have/use?
    I am a hard-working self-employed conservative Christian white male gun owner. How else can I tick you off today?

2. Remove Ads

Just looked today as I'm in need of one as well, went to the local Fleet Farm and they have a Resolute (Cannon) on sale until tomorrow that I think I'm going to pick up.

14 gun, 30 minute fire protection, digital, key backup, etc... on sale for $349. I really liked the layout in person, I think it's a good value for everything I was personally looking for.

Resolute 14-Gun Fire Rated Safe With Electronic Lock

VIP Member
    I have the Cannon, American Eagle Series safe. It has served my needs. One word of advise when buying a safe (wish someone had told me). Figure out what you need to hold your guns/ammo/documents/jewelry and whatever else. Then get one double that capacity. You'll fill it up in short order and wish you had more room.
    MinistrMalic and Medic218 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

An entry of "gun safe" in the search function will reveal a multitude of threads that may be of some use.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired

Archer51...LOVE the quote on your signature. My daughter and son-in-law are both currently serving in the Air Force and are located at Lakenheath AFB just outside of London. Everyone that puts on a uniform of any branch is a hero to me...but obviously I now have a special place in my heart for the USAF. God bless you and all who are serving or have served.
    thephanatik likes this.
    I am a hard-working self-employed conservative Christian white male gun owner. How else can I tick you off today?

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Here's my take on gun safes:
    o Check, get double the size if you decide to buy;
    o Study up on fire rating and also how they insulate. Some use a water-based solution;
    o Hide the safe well, or build your house/room around it (if possible; new construction);
    o Fill the bottom with lead shot or sandbags. Heavier is better than super big and thick;
    o Have two medium size ones - harder for a thief to cart away that much bulk - plus he won't know which one to take. He might get all sandbags;
    o Don't worry too much about the lock, it just has to resist bare handed access, small crowbar. A determined thief will get through any lock - in time;
    o Guns hidden well around the house are much harder to round up (and steal). Guns all in one safe - easy to steal;
    o Don't talk about fight club...I mean, your gun collection;
    o If you don't hide your guns around the house, lock up all of them except your carry piece - don't leave them lying about in pockets, on dressers, in purses, in the kitchen in a purse or a bag. Locking them all up teaches you to keep track. Believe me, you don't want the rapid heartbeat feeling when you can't find your gun (it's in a different jacket, say, or still in the car console). If you always lock them up after picking your carry piece, it's best. Always put your 'night gun' in the same place, same orientation, unholstered, safety off. (assuming it's just two responsible adults in the house. if kids, all bets are off).

$.02

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    For now, I use a Sentry steel long gun cabinet. However, I use Gunvault handgun safe to store both my handguns.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Costco - Cannon Safe SC6040 Wide Body 48 Firearm Safe

This is not EXACTLY the one I have, but the free shipping is really nice. And the Cannon warranty is second to none.

I have one that is smaller than this. It is only 28" wide, so plan accordingly. In my experience it will hold half of what they say. IOW, my safe said 24 long guns and at 12 it is full enough. So I would second the notion that you should get one twice the size you think you need.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

My experience says skip the electronic lock. My Liberty safe came with a neat S&G keypad lock, but the thing went stupid two weeks after I got it... my guns were even safe from ME. I was on the phone multiple times with Liberty and S&G, and the latter sent me a new keypad. That didn't work, so I called back. They arranged for a local locksmith to come out and DRILL my $2000 Liberty safe - the one with the nice paintjob, because it necessarily resides in my living room. - and replace it with a traditional, S+G dial lock. "Sorry, the only way into the safe is to drill it." When the locksmith called, I asked more details, and he said that it's usually a 2-3 hour job to drill out a lock, and yes, the paint will get messed up because a mag-base drill is used (plus lots of carbide-tipped drills). Great.

Out of a sense of hopeless optimism, I kept trying my mentally incompetent digital lock, and the very day before the locksmith arrived, it opened... So I lucked out. The locksmith replaced the brain-damaged lock in about 20 minutes, and mentioned that digital lock failures are infrequent but neither are they rare.

So, my experience-based recommendation is to stick with a traditional dial and tumbler lock.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Have a Fort Knox and a Liberty safe both with dial locks. I agree with gasmitty, get a dial lock. If you order a safe from a dealer, they should be able to set the combination to numbers you request within certian limits. Go on line, and check out Big Horn safes. After looking at many brands, they appear to be very good for the price.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Liberty 14 gun with dial lock and 15 minute fire rating. It's narrow enough to go in a closet at my work property. I own it, so I can drill for floor and wall anchors. That property has an alarm. $529
    Residence has a Sentry 1 hour box with digital entry and key. Kind of hidden in a closet. Full of ammo and maybe a couple handguns. It's really heavy. $130
    Also at home is a narrow laptop cheesy safe. Really just a lockbox, but can be bolted. It's hidden behind stuff in the kitchen cabinets. Holds AR type .22 pistol at night before heading to a range. Digital lock and a key. $50 on sale.
    I like the option of holding things wherever I am. Having the small one hour rated box is great for extra ammo and it was cheap enough. Only my carry gun is not locked up and hidden.
    I agree, though, that if you are going to get a single safe to store all that personal stuff, too, then double the size.
    Skillet Hot!

This is a great site...ALL you need to know about buying a safe...Gun Safe Buyers' Guide
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I have the heavy kind.

Just kidding, it is a Liberty, and an extreme pain to get 700 lbs upstairs.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

VIP Member
    Good advice from lots of folks here. I can attest to the thoughts on getting a larger safe than you think you will need. I am now on my second safe because I outgrew the first one.

My first safe had an electronic lock and it was troublefree. However, I did worry that one day it would fail, as most other types of electronics seem to do. I now have a dial lock on my current safe. It took about a week to get used to it, but I can now open the safe in about 10 - 15 seconds without issue. Besides the mechanical vs. electronic factor, another factor was what if there is ever an EMP blast. I know it is highly unlikely, but it would be ironic.

Between brands, there are differences in materials and construction techniques. I would skip over all the manufacturers hype and do a lot of research on the different matierals that are used, external vs. internal hinges, door seals, etc. The devil is in the details as they say.

Liberty Fat Boy Safe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links