Today is the first day of.....

This is a discussion on Today is the first day of..... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Me spending all of my extra time being perched in a tree stand. Today is the start of Ohio's archery season. I hope I see ...

Thread: Today is the first day of.....

VIP Member

Today is the first day of.....

Me spending all of my extra time being perched in a tree stand. Today is the start of Ohio's archery season.

I hope I see a big ol' corn and soy fed buck tonight. Even if you don't get a shot at a big deer it sure gets you fired up for the rest of the season. It makes it much easier to sit there hour after hour if you know big deer are around and you have a chance. Not seeing deer is very demoralizing and leads to a poor mindset. If you don't think you are going to get a buck then you often leave early or don't go out at all. This is usually a self fulfilling prophecy.

Just like most things in life, a positive mindset equals success while a poor outlook often leads to failure.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

Patience often provides rewards.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

May your arrow be straight...may the rack be huge!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Sitting in a tree stand before dawn is great prayer time.

I missed a slick head earlier. Been back once and saw nothing. Going to hang another stand tomorrow and hopefully be in it Tuesday. Good luck to you. My bow season has started kind of slow, stuff keeps getting in the way of going.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I love huge racks.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

VIP Member
    Well I went and I did see a buck but he wasn't a shooter, just a little guy ( a spike). I didn't see any other deer but I like the spot and I'll give it a few days and go again sometime this week.

Oh, and I like big racks too!
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

VIP Member
    While a big rack looks good hanging on the wall, I'd much rather have a doe in the freezer.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    My buddy picked his wife this way..Great advice.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Kinda reminds me of Puberty,one day I got my "license" unexpectedly like a great present,then the hunt for a great "Trophy" started,took years of painstaking stalking(ok maybe not "stalking") but searching for the right one to bring home.Then she took my license to hunt,and I been up a tree ever since,kinda like Timmy
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    While a big rack looks good hanging on the wall, I'd much rather have a doe in the freezer.
    I agree about the flavor, but I find that the challenge of hunting a doe just isn't there for me. Does are like rats and I could shoot twenty of them a year. Big bucks are savvy and sneaky and really test your hunting skill. For me, that is the challenge.
    Mark Twain:

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Good luck timmy hope you bag a big one. Our archery season starts saturday I'm pumped. Antelope rifle that morning then in the blind for archery deer.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I live in Ohio but have not had a chance to sit out yet. Last week I was at the gun shop buying arrows and broadheads, and ended up walking out with a brand new synthetic Mossy 500 12ga with both barrels for $314.

Happy hunting!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Well, good luck! I like to fish, and my wife describes it as "A jerk on one end of a line, waiting for a jerk on the other". I'll have to have her describe deer hunting.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Well, good luck! I like to fish, and my wife describes it as "A jerk on one end of a line, waiting for a jerk on the other". I'll have to have her describe deer hunting.
    I love to fish as well but when the weather turns cool I put away the poles and break out the hunting gear. I have some co-workers who are die hard anglers. My co-workers go after steelhead (very large trout) and they run all winter here. They are very fun to catch but it is cooooold fishing in the months of December an January. I fish for them every now and then, usually after I'm tagged out.
    Mark Twain:

Links