Mayweather-Ortiz Controversial Knockout Video

This is a discussion on Mayweather-Ortiz Controversial Knockout Video within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Mayweather-Ortiz Controversial Knockout Video - YouTube Please watch the video clip to get the appropriate context of this matter as well as my comments. I ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 3 Post By azchevy
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: Mayweather-Ortiz Controversial Knockout Video

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

Mayweather-Ortiz Controversial Knockout Video - YouTube

Please watch the video clip to get the appropriate context of this matter as well as my comments.

I think this is an example of how actions that are performed well within the confounds of the law can still at the same time be completely void of ethics and morality. In the post interview, Mayweather thanks God for his victory and then moments later ends the interview by telling an 80 yr. old man that he doesn't know **** about boxing and that HBO needs to fire him.

I think the knock out blows were a dirty thing to do and shows Mayweather lacking any kind of class irrespective of all of the money that he has....the money that he's always audaciously bragging about.

Technically Mayweather's actions were legal and as a result, he won a title belt. He didn't, however, win the hearts of the audience members that filled the arena with boos. He also didn't help his case by ripping into Larry Merchant just moments before he had disingenuously welcomed Merchant with a smile on his face and a friendly arm across Merchant's shoulders.

Just because its legal, it doesn't mean its the right thing to do, etc.

I won't go as far as to say that this should ruin Mayweather's career but I do think he should seriously reconsider his actions and follow up with an apology to Ortiz and Merchant.

I think Mayweather showed his true colors on this one.

DCG

Rematch

VIP Member
    Rule #1, protect yourself at all times. I think it was cheap but it IS a fight. The headbutt from Ortiz was kinda weird too. It was a strange fight.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    If it's legal it is, by definition...uh, legal. There's no controversy except in some people's minds. What was illegal was the Headbutt by Ortiz.

VIP Member
    Ortiz used an illegal head butt. Then after having a point deducted, the referee brought them back to center ring and touched gloves. Once the gloves were touched, the fight was on. Ortiz forgot the 1st safety rule of boxing "protect yourself at all times". He paid the price for it. The fact that the referee was not paying attention is not Mayweathers fault.

As to the tirade against Larry Merchant, Mayweather could have handled that situation better. However I can understand his frustration, when Merchant kept harping on the same point. Merchant asked the question and got an answer. Then he kept on asking the same question, again and again.

As to the crowd, who cares? It was an Ortiz crowd, so no matter how the fight ended, unless Ortiz won, they were going to boo him.
    thephanatik likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Who cares about fixed sports.

Watching 2 guys hit each other doesn't entice me to watch
    thephanatik likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Payback. He left the door wide open.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Stick your head in my face, and I'll probably hit your to!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I'm not a fan of Mayweather, the dude is an even bigger jerk in person. Some of the guys from my gym fought on his "team" for a BET event. He's left a bad flavour in my mouth since then.

That said, the punch was legal but the comments after are where I take offense. He is a jerk and I HATE it when people invoke God's name and then in the next breath curse or do something equally vile.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hk45c View Post
    That said, the punch was legal but the comments after are where I take offense. He is a jerk and I HATE it when people invoke God's name and then in the next breath curse or do something equally vile.
    I agree. His comments were completely un-called for...Merchant's questions were completely legit and not out of line by any means. Mayweather was dodging his questions and he didn't like it because Merchant was calling him out on it.

I also agree that the punch was completely "legal". I'm not a touchy feely person but it just seemed so inherently wrong in my gut when I watched the whole thing unfold before my eyes. Oritiz was in the wrong but the man profusely apologized for his error and Mayweather knew from Ortiz's body language/stance, that he wasn't prepared to go back to fighting. The referee seems to have been a little out to lunch on this as well. He should've been regulating this at closer scrutiny. After the hug, he should've placed his arms between them, so it seems, and resumed the fight but others are saying he had already resumed the fight. I'm not sure if his intent, however, was clear. No one in the interviews said they heard the ref say, "fight".

It would've been nice to see Mayweather show Ortiz a little "grace" but if grace was something you were obligated to do, then it would no longer be "grace".

Links