Trip AND Off Road veh? - Page 2

Trip AND Off Road veh?

This is a discussion on Trip AND Off Road veh? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My wife has a Hyundai Santa Fe and loves it....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VIP Member
    My wife has a Hyundai Santa Fe and loves it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainAir View Post
    Hubby has 09 Subaru Outback - great AWD, great commuter, 26-29 mpg, great family vehicle & trip car, corners great , not a lot of clearance for serious 4x4 roads, big rear cargo area, no room under electric seats for car gun vault

Mine is an 06 Nissan Xterra - great 4x4, nice low range (stopped only by my wussiness & not the vehicle on 4x4 roads!), 17-21 mpg, lots of room for our family of 4, gets a bit cramped with 3 in the back seat, depending how big the people are: 1 adult, 1 kid, 1 carseat = ok; 2 adults & carseat = cramped; lots of cargo area in back, plenty of under seat area for car gun vault - LOVE it.
    +1 on the Subaru. Check out the Impreza, available in a sedan or a hatchback and has all time AWD. The price is reasonable as well.

Kia's are made here, but it is a Korean company. my neighbor just bought the SUV. Not as pretty as his Toyota Rav4 but gets the job done. I'm also a Jeep Wrangler owner but I refuse to sell mine. I have a station wagon for the "practical" side of things.

Jim

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    4 door wrangler
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Love my 01 cherokee. 153,000 miles and all I've done are brakes. Its been offroading and long trips. Sure wish they still made them. You can get them used pretty cheap. Not too bad on gas either.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Try a Subaru. Had one great one, saved my life and my kids in a crash when a van spun out on black ice and waffled us. Bought a new one sight unseen, great car but had a lemon motor. Went Honda Odyssey a while, lack of AWD and ground clearance is the only drawback. Sold that to buy a tow vehicle for a camper. I would buy another Subie in a second. My sister has a new Legacy GT sedan that replaced her '98 with insane miles, and her dogmobile is my grandfather's '94 Legacy wagon, still chugging along. Aunt on Cape Cod had them, ran on the beach with it. Check the Forester too.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    What country makes the Kia?
    The KIA Sorento is made in South Carolina. Most Kia models are still made in Korea but the Sorento is made here. They will be making more models here soon.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Subaru all of the way. Great crash test ratings, great AWD, and a solid line up of choices, from the Legacy, Impreza, WRX to the Outback. My wife loved her Forester. They have an excellent line of AWD's.

Toyota 4Runner is their smallest SUV on a true truck frame (Tacoma). Mine is a 2008 and I love it. Six airbags standard across all models.

The Toyota RAV 4 is a great Crossover SUV on a car frame. Available in AWD and great for all weather, paved and gravel surfaced roads. Would be good on trips. Being a crossover, it's got smaller cargo space than the 4Runner. Spare tire mounted on rear hatch making it easy to change flats and increases ground clearance without risking damage to the spare.

If you want real off road capabilities go for the 4Runner. Toyota really holds their resale value so used ones are great. With routine maintenance 1/2 million miles easy.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Toyota 4Runner is their smallest SUV on a true truck frame (Tacoma). Mine is a 2008 and I love it. Six airbags standard across all models.

The Toyota RAV 4 is a great Crossover SUV on a car frame. Available in AWD and great for all weather, paved and gravel surfaced roads. Would be good on trips. Being a crossover, it's got smaller cargo space than the 4Runner. Spare tire mounted on rear hatch making it easy to change flats and increases ground clearance without risking damage to the spare.

If you want real off road capabilities go for the 4Runner. Toyota really holds their resale value so used ones are great. With routine maintenance 1/2 million miles easy.
    Funny, you mentioning Toyota and truck frames in the same sentence...

Another vote for Subaru Outback, have a 09' and love it. It even has a couple secret places.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Subaru perfected the AWD vehicle, it's all they make now. They are a bit pricey compared to the competition.

Wife has her second Hyundai Santa Fe... She liked the first one she likes the new one even more...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links