Trip AND Off Road veh?

This is a discussion on Trip AND Off Road veh? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler. It's my daily commute AND fun vehicle but not necessarily the best for a long road (vacation) trip. Won't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip AND Off Road veh?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Trip AND Off Road veh?

I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler. It's my daily commute AND fun vehicle but not necessarily the best for a long road (vacation) trip.

Won't be long before my wife needs a new (well, probably not new but late model used) vehicle.

Wondering - what you folks would recommend in an affordable small suv that's also got either AWD or 4WD.

Thanks in advance.
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

Toyota Tacoma 4WD. 20MPG+ highway 16-18 city. Great ride, reliable, and excellent for offroad. I dumped all my jeeps, and large pickup trucks and bought a tacoma double cab, and I haven't looked back.

For a good daily commute car I bought my wife a mini cooper in june, great little car and the "S" model is the one to own the "S" is for supercharger, its not bad on trips for a economy car we drove to pittsburgh over the summer thats right around 300 miles for us on $20 in fuel and the car is loaded and actually wasnt to bad on a trip but for road trips I own a chevy tahoe and I love this thing lots of room and power for towing and lots of hiding places for hand gun safes, We often travel on weekends and I put over 4000 miles on my tahoe alone this summer just on the weekends going from as far south as S.C. to Ohio To Pittsburgh with out any complaints often with 4 adults in the tahoe the mini is 4 seater but the back seat is useless for passengers with legs just my two cents

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Toyota Tacoma 4WD. 20MPG+ highway 16-18 city. Great ride, reliable, and excellent for offroad. I dumped all my jeeps, and large pickup trucks and bought a tacoma double cab, and I haven't looked back.
    I'd love one of these but it's gonna be for my wife who'd rather not have a truck for "her" vehicle. Now she's driving a Toyoda Camry but would like something compfy, not too big and with AWD or option to go into 4WD.

Thanks...

What about a Jeep Liberty or Cherokee, my uncle has a Cherokee and loves it.

If you like the Toyota, the Rav4 comes in AWD or 4wd I believe. We have the front wheel drive and love it.

ford fusion is awd, subaru has a huge line of awd, the ford edge also has an awd option.

I have an 03 Liberty and an 09 Kia Sorento. Both have performed well for me and both have done a good job keeping me on the road, out of the ditch, and upright on those icy and snowpacked Colorado wintertime roads. Both work well enough for road trips especially the Kia. Bought them both new and neither one broke my bank.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I have an 03 Liberty and an 09 Kia Sorento. Both have performed well for me and both have done a good job keeping me on the road, out of the ditch, and upright on those icy and snowpacked Colorado wintertime roads. Both work well enough for road trips especially the Kia. Bought them both new and neither one broke my bank.
    What country makes the Kia?

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Korea I think

I am a big fan of Jeeps. I you can find a Grand Cherokee with an inline 6 cylinder you can't go wrong. They run forever if you take care of it.

Look at a GMC Acadia, my wife loves hers.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Korea.

Hubby has 09 Subaru Outback - great AWD, great commuter, 26-29 mpg, great family vehicle & trip car, corners great , not a lot of clearance for serious 4x4 roads, big rear cargo area, no room under electric seats for car gun vault

Mine is an 06 Nissan Xterra - great 4x4, nice low range (stopped only by my wussiness & not the vehicle on 4x4 roads!), 17-21 mpg, lots of room for our family of 4, gets a bit cramped with 3 in the back seat, depending how big the people are: 1 adult, 1 kid, 1 carseat = ok; 2 adults & carseat = cramped; lots of cargo area in back, plenty of under seat area for car gun vault - LOVE it.

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    I am a big fan of Jeeps. I you can find a Grand Cherokee with an inline 6 cylinder you can't go wrong. They run forever if you take care of it.
    I love my ZJ (Jeep-speak for the '93-'98 Grand Cherokee) and I'm really angry that someone rear ended me last night . The damage isn't bad from what I can tell but I know it doesn't take much to total a vehicle that might only be worth $2800 or so.

Thing has run like a top, any problems I've had have been a direct result of me beating on it, otherwise just regular maintenance and she purrs like a kitten still. The 4.0 pulls hard for what it is, it's very simple to work on and I've squeezed about 21 mpg out of it on the freeway. If you go the Grand Cherokee route, seek out either the NP231 (command track transfer case) or the NP242 (select track) transfer case. The other option is an NP249 Quadra track transfer case and while it performs well, it has a viscous coupler in it that is essentially mechanical traction control and this part eventually wears out to the tune of about $500.

If you aren't a member Jeep Forum - Jeep Enthusiast Network is a great resources for all things Jeep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links