The bad neighbor thread

This is a discussion on The bad neighbor thread within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I didn't want to hijack someone elses thread, so I figured I'd start a new one where we all can whine and complain about bad ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: The bad neighbor thread

Administrator

The bad neighbor thread

I didn't want to hijack someone elses thread, so I figured I'd start a new one where we all can whine and complain about bad neighbors. With the real estate market tanked, and lots of homes going out to rent, section 8 acting like a wrecking ball to many once good neighborhoods, I thought a lot of us would have something to share.

I just had the house next door being rented out. It was a nice family, but they got transferred and could not sell the house because of the market.... so they rented. To hill jacks. I posted about the loud stereo etc on their first night. This morning, I found a crappy lawn mower and bike on my front lawn. I decided if it was still there in an hour when I returned home, I was going to pick it up and drive it down to Goodwill. It wasn't, so no tax right off for me. Now, at 1am, they are out on the deck smoking cigarettes, drinking beer, and loudly discussing what ever people discuss when they have no education and an IQ of a golden retriever. (right now its daytime TV and something about building an extra bedroom in the basement for one of their spawn with lumber from the deck)

On the bright side of things, I'm hoping a UFO will come abduct them. Since the aliens always seem to be interested in the trailer dwelling toothless white trash types, I thought maybe I would have a shot of actually seeing a UFO now that some of their prey are living right next door.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    What do you have against golden retrievers? :)

We have watched our neighborhood go from 100% owner-occupied homes to about 45% owner-occupied, 30% renters and 25% empty foreclosures. Has not done much positive for the neighborhood.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    What do you have against golden retrievers? :)
    Not a darn thing. I'd take a family of goldens living next door to me any day. But I do expect people to be smarter.
    Rock and Glock and garyacman like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Not a darn thing. I'd take a family of goldens living next door to me any day. But I do expect people to be smarter.
    Given some of the places I have been over the years and your profession, I suspect we have both seen a fair number of people who are significanly dumber than a golden retriever.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Two rants from me. We have narrow streets and no sidewalks in our development. Owners are not supposed to park in the street for extended periods. We paid extra to have a concrete 'wing' added to the driveway for extra parking (we don't need it ourselves, it's for guests). One neighbor apparently can't clean their garage so they park in the street all the time. Their neighbor pulls one car out into the street and one out of the garage and leaves it there all weekend. This creates a choke point such that when we're walking or biking any car passing that house tries to run us over forcing us into the ditch. The 'enforcer' a whiny dude who wears a kilt won't enforce the HOA rule on them for some reason, but comes and knocks on our door if part of one tire of a car is touching the grass when we park in the road if there's a contractor doing work parked in the driveway.

We're gonna start putting printouts on the car asking them (anonymously) to not park in the street.

Another neighbor 'walks' their dogs. But they use an extension leash or lets the dogs off leash. Why? So the dog can poop and do it far enough away from the walker they can 'claim' not to see their dog dropping a load in people's yard.

They do it not because they're mean, it's because they're LAZY. Grrr! :p

Got a buncha renters 3 houses down the road,little banger types,hang around outside all night,cars pull up to say hi just long enough for drug transactions"I ain't Stupid".I've been having to take extreme care when and how I move my guns to my Jeep to go to the range,they don't need to know what I might have in the crib
    garyacman likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear about the new neighbors, the only workable defense I can think of is a 50 acre lot.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Moderator
    We have been so fortunate when it comes to neighbors.

Our first apartment was so quiet I don't think I ever even saw my neighbors' faces or heard a single word from them.

In our second apartment we had a Russian couple, one was a engineer (who happened to be a little person) who loved guns (and once worked for Colt) and his wife was an oncologist. They were so much fun to talk to and brilliant. I was invited over for dinner a couple of times with some other foreign friends (French and another Russian) while JD was out of town and the passionate intellectual discussion we would have while devouring good wine was refreshing... and it was even funner when everyone started slipping into their native tongues once they'd consumed too much alcohol. Out of respect for me they would always follow up with, "Apologies, how do you say it?... " and give the English version.

In that same building we also had a firefighter and his Quaker wife who happened to be a bartender and a no-kidding, high-IQ genius with the most insane and hilarious family stories you'd ever hear (she was the bi-product of two more certifiable geniuses as well). They were the most hilarious couple I've ever met and she made some STRONG drinks. Great couple and so much fun to hang out with.. he was also particularly good at helping me break into my own apartment when I locked my keys in.

I actually kind of miss that place. None of my other neighbors were a problem but those neighbors made living there a BLAST!

Good times.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    We have been so fortunate when it comes to neighbors.
    OK, Epic Fail on the BAD neighbors thread, hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I've been having to take extreme care when and how I move my guns to my Jeep to go to the range,they don't need to know what I might have in the crib
    I know exactly what you mean. I had to do that too at my old house. Now I live in a much nicer neighborhood. Plus I have an attached garage so I just pull the truck inside and load up.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    One thing that I've found is that there are no guarantees that you can "upgrade" yourself into better neighbors by moving into a nicer neighborhood. "Trailer trash" has much more to do with who the individual is, regardless of their income.

I've seen good and bad neighbors come and go. Therein lies the problem. If you can see or hear your neighbor from your porch step, well then you basically have a roommate. Friendly is always the best approach, but some folks only understand fear, and I'm fine with that too. At the moment, I have great folks on all sides and we all watch out for each other.

However, I'm at the conclusion that the only way to ensure good neighbors is acreage. Honestly, I'd much rather live in a trailer on 50 acres than in a McMansion jammed onto a postage stamp. For now, I still prefer to be in a neighborhood for the social aspects for my son. But when he goes off to school in 7 years, you can color us gone. I'm really looking forward to setting up our last haven and have plenty of time to plan. The wife seems a little annoyed at how much emphasis that I'm putting on the private shooting range ;-). I'm planning a farm/ranch where she can have a couple horses and farm animals, dirt bike for me, spare cottage for my son and his family to stay in when they visit. I'm thinking about fashioning it after Pooh's 100 Acre Wood, with trails for the grand-kids to play on. You gotta dream...
    100AcreMap.gif
    SIGguy229 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I live in a townhouse style condo so all 46 of my neighbors are pretty close. Most are pretty good but I've got one neighbor that lives on the street who is a single dad and his kid is less than desirable. He's been arrested for burglary, did some time, walks around drunk and/or openly drinking beers and was arrested recently for underage drinking in the lot out front. But it's never the kids fault according to the father who is always making excuses for him. The father is a nice enough guy but pretty clueless IMHO. I mean how many times are you going to ask me if "I still have the same dogs?" They are pretty unique looking and I'm out there every day with them.

Then we have the nosey neighbor that is up in everyones business and loves to stare at people as they come and go. A few weeks ago I caught him sitting in the middle of the road/parking lot (yes on the blacktop, with no shoes or shirt, classy!), with a note pad! I'm not sure what he was taking notes on (the less I talk to the guy the better) but I guess he thought better of his position after a few cars had to swerve around him.

I got roommate stories too if anyone ever starts that thread!
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Sorry to hear about the new neighbors, the only workable defense I can think of is a 50 acre lot.
    And claymore mines...
    ArPacker and RemMod597 like this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Good neighbours are worth their weight in gold, or copper, depending upon how your viewpoint. We are fortunate to have very good neighbours, well with exeptions. Like you, Sixto, I have had some bad ones also.

We bought our current home in 2006. The one set of neighbours to the west were kind of worried about us until they got to know us. They were a very nice family, home schooled their kids and were of the Mormon faith. We got along with them quite well. They even saw my wife's target after she completed her concealed carry class at the Police Range and wanted to know how to go about doing same.

The other neighbour to the east of us was a bachelor who took care of invalid brother and was an avid gun owner, shooter and carry permit holder. He was the best. Always kept a look out and carried his handgun quite often. He even got an LCP when my wife showed him hers.

Well, fast forward to July 2011 and both of the neighbours sold out and moved. Fortunately, we got good ones. The couple where the Mormon family lived both worked in the Corrections system until she had to take medical disability. Both of them are firearm owners and have expressed a desire to go with us to the range next time.

The other lady neighbor is ok, but her family can be a bit annoying. He son and his significant other seems to think that parking his vehicle almost in front of our detached garage, or directly across the alley from it is not presenting a problem. Also, the significant other yaks on her cell phone on their back porch at about 100 decibels while huffing on some kind of cigarette, because I find the butts in our yard. We have told the lady owner about the parking and she has said something to the son, but he still doesn't get it. I may have to have that "chat" with him about not blocking access to our garage.

So, Sixto, we all have our "bad" neighbours, and we do feel your pain sometimes. Here is hoping the situation gets better.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Administrator
    Yes on the acreage. We actually bought a large parcel of land a few years back. Unfortunately, "we" hoped to much and changed to little and now its financially impossible to sell this house and build another as we had planned. So sometimes I just drive out to our "farm" and just take a look around. Maybe I'll put a tent on it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links