To those who celebrate, Happy New Year

This is a discussion on To those who celebrate, Happy New Year within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; To all my friends and family that celebrate, Happy New Year - שנה טובה ומתוקה...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: To those who celebrate, Happy New Year

To those who celebrate, Happy New Year

To all my friends and family that celebrate, Happy New Year - שנה טובה ומתוקה

2. Remove Ads

GM
    שנה טובה ומתוקה לכולם
    Mike1956 and Tzadik like this.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    +1. Services tonite and tomorrow.

VIP Member
    My "adopted" grandmother would never forgive me if I did not wish everyone a very Happy New Year.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    'Christian gentile here, but wishing all of you and especially the nation of Israel a safe, sovereign and Happy New Year.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    ^^^^^^^^ +1 ^^^^^^^^ God Bless Israel and the Jewish people.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Administrator
    I'll celebrate anything if the company is good.
    GM, thephanatik and limatunes like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Is this the year debts are forgiven? As a gentile can I get in on this? I'm hoping to call my bank and tell them to shove it.

Happy new year to all of the Lord's chosen people.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Same good wishes for everyone. I'm not Jewish, but my wife and daughter are. I love the holidays and the tradition.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    Same good wishes for everyone. I'm not Jewish, but my wife and daughter are. I love the holidays and the tradition.
    Side bar question- Is it true that for a child to be born Jewish, its the mother that has to be but not necessarily the father? Thats the way I understand it, but thought it slightly peculiar as its usually the father's genes that are considered for most everything else in society.
    "Just blame Sixto"

^ Very good question.

It's very interesting, actually, and was one I asked of my wife while we were just dating - while the line is typically considered to be matrilineal/matriarchal, there are also those who take the patrilineal/patriarchal approach. I came upon this article just a short while ago, and thought it was a very good one:

Matrilineal Descent in Judaism

We decided to raise Anna according to Jewish tradition not so much specifically out of respect for such laws, but simply out of both of our wishes, as her parents, to give her a religious identity (until she is ready to - and if she wants to - choose her own), since so much of her is, and will be, a mix.

Administrator
    Interesting article, Thanks.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'll celebrate anything if the company is good.
    I think the word "celebrate" has multiple meanings, and in this context it definitely is NOT party.

From my raibbi's message:

Rosh Ha'Shanah is not a time for celebration, but rather for contemplation and religious reflection. These days are points in our spiritual calendars: the moments where "time" touches upon "place," where the "spiritual" intermingles with the "material," where we look back at "yesterday" while seeking to look forward toward "tomorrow."

Rosh Ha'Shanah offers us a myriad of spiritual messages. One of its messages is that humans are distinct from other species of life in that we are expected to take spiritual inventories of our lives. These are the days when we ask ourselves questions such as: What did I do well in 5771 and what did I do poorly? Am I capable of admitting my failures? Do I blame others for what I could have done better? Whom did I hurt and did I use the excuse of being hurt as a tool for manipulation? How have I helped my community and how have I failed it?"

I apologize if someone thinks I'm trying to introduce religion here, I'm not. I just want educate and to clarify that how we mark our New Year is quite different from popping off firecrackers and getting drunk. I hope no one takes offense.
    TSiWRX and WHEC724 like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Interesting article, Thanks.
    NP. Glad to be of-help.

I was once the person asking the questions! And to be honest, I still am! Hopyard's post, for example: I learned from that!

Quote Originally Posted by tsiwrx View Post
    np. Glad to be of-help.

I was once the person asking the questions! And to be honest, i still am! hopyard's post, for example: I learned from that!
    me too!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links