Southern California travel and traffic questions

This is a discussion on Southern California travel and traffic questions within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; For anyone living in Southern California, this is a cry for help with general travel, not gun related. I'm from Virginia, so my upcoming visit ...

Thread: Southern California travel and traffic questions

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

Southern California travel and traffic questions

For anyone living in Southern California, this is a cry for help with general travel, not gun related. I'm from Virginia, so my upcoming visit to Ca is probably going to be my only one, I'll be traveling with my 8 year old son and my girlfriend. Were flying into either San Diego or LA on a Sat, and then on Tuesday, were making our way to Vegas for a show at Sam Boyd Stadium that Fri and Sat.

My question, during weekdays, are their windows of time where it's possible to get into and out of LA if we chose to make a stop on our way from San Diego to Vegas? or should it be considered a weekend only venture? I've heard of the nightmare traffic jams and nightmarish commutes that occur on a regular basis. But not living there, and not knowing anyone there, I just don't know what to believe.

Any one going to Monster Jam World Finals?

Any recommended sites or activities for an 8 year old boy?

Were looking at:
    San Diego Zoo
    DisneyLand and LegoLand we have in Fla, but might consider.
    Pacific Aquarium
    Maybe try to see the Hollywood sign. No interest in seeing stars homes of the walk of stars.

Thanks in Advance

Mike
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I believe there is a wildlife park (zoo in natural habitats) east of San Diego. Balboa park has a bunch of museums. Old Town in San Diego is nice. The marina had a few of ships you can tour including the aircraft carrier Midway. One of the ships was in the film Master and Commander.

I can't help with traffic though.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I believe there is a wildlife park (zoo in natural habitats) east of San Diego. Balboa park has a bunch of museums. Old Town in San Diego is nice. The marina had a few of ships you can tour including the aircraft carrier Midway. One of the ships was in the film Master and Commander.

I can't help with traffic though.
    Those are great ideas, he's all about ships and I've always wanted to tour an aircraft carrier.

Thanks
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

You will probably hit considerable traffic anytime. From 10am to 2 pm would probably be the best times during the day to hit as little traffic as possible. Other than that, after 7 pm. About 2/3s of the way up from San Diego to LA is the Mission San Juan Capistrano, famous for its swallows.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    SD is much friendlier for tourists as advised. Aquarium of the Pacific in LB is OK but I'd advise Sea World and the San Diego Zoo as equal or better than in LA; and you're already there in SD.
    You should be able to get in and out of Hollywood between 10A and 4P (maybe 3P on Friday) with little or no problem except that it's north of LA, though works as a via point to Vegas. Just to see the sign, I recommend 101N and exit at West Sunset Blvd (Exit 8B), turn right on W Sunset, park at the Denny's on your right and look north. 809a.jpg
    I love LA, and might offer suggestions, but you know your crew and mission. LA has traffic reports 24/7 with always something to report. Check this link if you don't have traffic updates by GPS: Sigalert.

San Diego is a lot more efficient for touring.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

The only problem with travel to Vegas is there seems to be a lot of freeway rehab going on and may cause delays. But then again it's always crowded on the I-15. I usually do that section between 10PM and 4AM.

Links