Bump Key (MUST READ/VIEW)

This is a discussion on Bump Key (MUST READ/VIEW) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Undisputable proof that your best home defense weapon is your alertness, a dog, and a firearm. This is unbelievable. http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/07/b...open-any-lock/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uv45...rch=bump%20key For those that can't ...

Thread: Bump Key (MUST READ/VIEW)

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

Undisputable proof that your best home defense weapon is your alertness, a dog, and a firearm. This is unbelievable.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/07/b...open-any-lock/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uv45...rch=bump%20key

For those that can't follow the subtitles.... they have figured out a way to machine any key to open any lock. Without a trace. Basically, unless you have a dog or good ears... you wake up in the morning and your TV and electronics are gone and your door is locked. And your insurance company laughs at you. And that's assuming all they want is your toys.

What happens if some BG wants to attack you and your family?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Administrator

Good Looking Out SixBravo

That's a new one on me.

Thankfully I've got a canine with good ears and a great home alarm system but, know many folks who do not.

That's good valuable information. I hope that everyone at least has a good heavy sliding bolt lock on a high quality door as additional/added security when they are home.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Bad stuff.

When my kids were little, we installed the apartment chain locks at the top because as soon as they could reach the deadbolt, they would flick it and wander out. Now that they are a little older, I guess we'll have to start using them again. Not foolproof, but just one more step.

<sigh>
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

the Insurance thing was specific to the country that the video was shot in. In America (at least for me) It's just a police report and inventory and you get your check. It DOES make me think about those door bars / doorknob braces.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Hmm since i have a key cutter LOL ill have to play a bit with this , if it works it would make a handy guift for some LE I know for lockouts ( both vehicle and house )
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    This method is very similar to 'raking', which uses a lock pick that you use to rake the pins in the tumbler in a fashion similar to the way billard balls hit each other. It causes the pins in the tumbler to bounce & with a little rotational pressure it will open most locks quickly. With this method you are just bouncing all the pins at once & it doesn't require but a little practice.

Most locks are just to keep honest people honest.......
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Actualy it would be considered closer to a snap pick or pick gun than raking , I have to set up the key cutter but i needed to do it anyway , ill let yall know if its as easy to make/use them as they imply . I could do it with a file except i am just lazy and need to set up the cutter anyway lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Sponsored Links