Really hate Afghanistan...need to vent

This is a discussion on Really hate Afghanistan...need to vent within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; On Sep. 25th the truck I was driving was struck by a rocket and pretty much burnt to the ground. Myself and 2 other passengers ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Really hate Afghanistan...need to vent

On Sep. 25th the truck I was driving was struck by a rocket and pretty much burnt to the ground.
    Myself and 2 other passengers made it out alive but, one didn't.
    I feel so bad as there was nothing I could do to get him out.
    People in my unit keep asking me what I lost.
    Yeah, I had things in my wallet in my bag like drivers license, cash, credit cards, debit cards, social security card, and even my carry permit (I know I don't need half of this over here) but I was getting ready to go home in less than a month.
    I just keep telling myself it doesn't matter that I might have lost things but, they are just paper and plastic and everything can be replaced.
    I get to spend the next holiday with my family.
    The family of the soldier that died will never see him again. His parents will never see their son again.
    A wife that will never be held by her husband and children that will never see their daddy again.
    Life is so precious and it can be taken at any time.
    I wasn't lucky, God was watching over me and I thank Him daily for keeping me safe.
    I just needed to say it.
    For God and Country

God bless you as you serve our country and experience the kinds of things like you just described. Prayers for you and for the family of the one who didn't make it. I don't know how you guys/gals do it. Thank you.

I pray for you guys/gals every day. Man I really appreciate what you do for me and my family that we are able to live in this free country and enjoy life. As far as your buddy goes, its always easy to say but God was and still is in control. He wanted that soldier to come home for whatever reason and who are we to question that? Again thank you and may God bless you and watch over you and all the others.

Sounds like a terrible thing to go through. You are so right in where you see value. What's a burnt wallet next to a lost family member, father, friend. You owe it to yourself to avail yourself of any counseling services you can get. Many veterans deal with guilt for surviving when others don't get to come home.
    When I see service men and women in uniform at airports, I'm liable to get choked up. You folks have my admiration and I'm so proud of our brave citizens trying to do the job. I want every one of you to come back safely.
    Take care, Phillip. You're a good man. Glad you're coming home soon.
    Skillet Hot!

Nothing can express the sorrow of seing one of your own killed in action. We all feel for you though. I don't have the words of comfort nor do I have the answers of why some die and others don't.

All I can say is that ALL of you guys in the Military are heroes to me. Even though I was never in any of the armed forces, I come from a long line of military people. My paternal Grandfather was a WW I vet and he told similar stories of his buddies meeting their end in France in 1918.

It's the saddest part of being in our military. God bless you my friend and may you find comfort in Him.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I am not a big fan of Afghanistan, as I spent a portion of my life there.

As somebody who did two deployments as a grunt, and who lost friend during those tours, a simple word of advice is, seek help if you feel you need it.

If you need to talk to somebody your chaplain is a good resource, or the guys in your unit, your chain of command, your small unit leaders. People outside your world, who have never experienced what you are going through, never really can understand. You family and friends back home will be as supportive as possible, but don't truly understand. But do not hold it in, as it is not healthy, and will eat you alive from the inside.

I don't know what branch you are in, but you may want to consider one of these for your friend: herobracelet.org. I know according to Marine Corps regs, memorial bracelets like that are authorized in uniform. I have one I have worn pretty much every day since 2008. And didn't hear a single cross comment from anyone about it in the 3 years after until I got out.

Additionally, you don't know me. You don't know if I am just some internet commando, and if you want some of my credentials I will give them to you in a PM. But if you want an anonymous voice to vent to, and just so that you can get the words out, feel free to send me a PM, and you can say whatever you need, and it will never go beyond that. I'm now a civilian, so there is no rank, or anything like that. But we have eaten the same moon-dust so to speak, and the offer stands. For you, or any other combat vet on here.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thank you for everything you do. I couldn't truely understand what you and the other soldiers go through, but do know I can truely respect and honor you guys.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

Phillip, first let me thank you for what you are doing everyday. Please don't blame yourself for what has happened. I know that saying this will not help you at this moment, but if are feeling that way please get some help. The toll on you fellows has been tough, and you need to talk to someone and get this out. Don't let it eat at you. You will be in my prayers tonight, as will the trooper that was lost. The Good Lord has a way of helping us, and if asked he will help you also.
    RoadKill likes this.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Thanks.

You can vent here anytime you want... You've earned it.

Thank you for your service, Please come home safe.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

My family and I thank you for keeping us safe here at home, and for your continued service to our country.
    May God Bless You and Keep You Safe.

TC

Thank you for all you do and have done. I wish for peace for you and all of our service members. I am a Navy Veteran and a Veteran of the 1991 Persian Gulf War. You are my brother and I hope you will find peace, both mental and emotional, one day.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Phillip, Sorry for the loss. In many ways a brother in arms is even closer than a natural born brother. You have shared the same losses, the same fears, laughed together and cried together. As long as you live, so will he, in your heart and in your memory.

I urge you to follow the advice of vietnamvet66. Get help, to get over the mental anguish and the anger. Don't let it fester until it destroys you as well. Unlike the returning vets of my era, there are agencys out there you can turn to, please, use them.

May God watch over you and your comrades until you return.
    RoadKill and msgt/ret like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for your service...I am Hopeful you and all those serving are home safe, very soon...

Writing about how you feel is good for you but as others have said seek some personal contact with the resourses that are near you. Face to face talking with someone will do a great deal to help you heal the hurting you're now feeling.

VIP Member
    Thanks for your service.

Keep your head down and watch your six,{as well as the members of your unit}.

Praying you make it back to the good ole' U S of A.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links