Episode of Star Trek just made me wonder... - Page 2

Episode of Star Trek just made me wonder...

This is a discussion on Episode of Star Trek just made me wonder... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by RevolvingMag He killed his future self (but only about six hours future) in the present. Then wouldn't he cease to exist in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Episode of Star Trek just made me wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    He killed his future self (but only about six hours future) in the present.
    Then wouldn't he cease to exist in six hours?

Michael

VIP Member
    Alright, since were on the what if scenario, if he traveled back to the past and killed himself, would he die at the same time?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Then wouldn't he cease to exist in six hours?

Michael
    Or, because of the way it happened (that I don't have the time or memory to explain properly right now) would it just be an endless cycle of 'older' Picard getting killed by 'younger' Picard?

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Alright, since were on the what if scenario, if he traveled back to the past and killed himself, would he die at the same time?
    No. If you go back to the past and kill yourself, you would just immediately cease to be. Duh.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Hmmm. If you killed yourself in the past how can you be alive in the present? I'm confused and my head hurts really really bad. I shoulda stayed in the medical marijuana thread.

Michael
    Last edited by mlr1m; October 3rd, 2011 at 10:45 PM. Reason: I made an oopsie

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Hmmm. If you killed yourself in the past how can you be alive in the present? I'm confused and my hear hurts really really bad. I shoulda stayed in the medical marijuana thread.

Michael
    If you go back to it, you might be able to forget this one for a little while.

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned, "The Terminator". Same concept, someone/something from the future going to the past to dispose of someone who is presenting a problem in the future, which at the time was the present.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

You could also think of it as avoiding a universe ending paradox.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I have a headache.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

You can't go to the past to kill yourself because if you succeed you are no longer alive in the future to make the trip to the past to kill yourself.

One of the theoretical hazards of time travel is that if you were to meet yourself, if you ever touched you would both annihilate each other and become pure energy. Same thing with parallel universes. That old thing about conservation of matter and energy.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

The nerd in me is about to get buck wild...

We have to consider the alternate dimensional timeline in the equation. Every single moment off of every single moment has infinite opportunities to spawn another timeline in another dimension. A butterfly beats its wings a millionth of a microsecond more or less rapidly and you can have a different set of circumstances. This is how InfiniDum tried to market the Hitchhiker's Guide as a single copy an infinite number of times in an infinite number of dimensions in an infinite number of timelines (Douglas Adams - Mostly Harmless).

The resulting argument would dictate that Picard did not kill himself, but an alternate temporal instance of himself. Look at Star Trek Nemesis... It was an alternate Picard he killed at the end. A very dark & vampiric Picard, but a Picard none-the-less.

Suicide would not apply since you have to end your own life to do so and after the instance he is still living. If the alternate Picard had been the killer rather than the killee, how would that have worked? Come back from the future, kill your past self before you came back from the future & it suddenly becomes impossible for you to have come back from the future because at that point the future you no longer exists.... Welcome to the temporal paradox with the only answer being multi-dimensional relationships.

Welcome to Nerd 101
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Watching Star Trek: The Next Generation, and I just watched Picard kill his future self.

But, that brings to mind the question; if you kill your future self, is it murder or suicide?

Any ideas from the peanut gallery?
    Neither, in this case it is simply called "following the script".
    The wife hates when I say that. :)
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Administrator
    It's an interesting question especially since sitting through an entire episode of Star Trek...The Next Generation would make me want to kill myself.

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    The resulting argument would dictate that Picard did not kill himself, but an alternate temporal instance of himself. Look at Star Trek Nemesis... It was an alternate Picard he killed at the end. A very dark & vampiric Picard, but a Picard none-the-less.
    That was a Romulan clone. Not a Picard from a different timeline.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links