California Prisons are Opening Some Cell Doors

This is a discussion on California Prisons are Opening Some Cell Doors within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A couple of articles in the news including the Wall Street Journal. With Great Britain now the world's most violent developed country, the British government ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: California Prisons are Opening Some Cell Doors

Distinguished Member

Unhappy California Prisons are Opening Some Cell Doors

A couple of articles in the news including the Wall Street Journal.

With Great Britain now the world's most violent developed country, the
    British government has hit upon a way to reduce the number of cases
    before the courts: Police have been instructed to let off with a
    caution, burglars and those who admit responsibility for some 60 other
    crimes ranging from assault and arson, to sex with an underage girl.
    The first article was posted here linking to the article appropriately entitled, Mad Dogs and Englishmen

The article recounts various anecdotes of criminals who go free while citizens who defend themselves or loved ones get punishment because the British government "takes sole responsibility" for its monopoly on force to protect the law-abiding citizen. The Brits have forgotten their Blackstone (see my sig line).

Of interest to this post is that Britain is incarcerating fewer offenders, at much shorter sentences, and with early release from the shorter sentences including "violent or sex offenders serving mandatory life sentences who were freed after as little as 15 months".

Closer to home, the US Supreme Court is directing California to reduce the state prison population.

Over the next nine months, LA County is to receive from state prisons 8400 early parolees - much more than any other county in California. The county says that $123M from the state to monitor the parolees is not enough.

Also as a result of the US Supreme Court directive, new sentencing rules send only the most violent criminals to state prison. So about 7500 addtional inmates are populating the county jail in the coming year than under the old rules that led to the US Supreme Court directive to reduce the population of the state prisons. The Los Angeles County jail is the largest jail system in the country and is, itself, under federal review to reduce overcrowding.

Now, LA County's probation officers have case loads that average 75 parolees. The office says that it has the budget to hire only 25 officers - a quarter of the number it needs this year - while anticipating a need of 400 over the next four years to handle the increase. The county probation office's top executive is resigning.

I want my 2A

Might this become a California-bashing thread? I don't think that is constructive.

I'm watching for crime on the streets, joining the local Community Watch, and monitoring news. Stay tuned.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

2. Remove Ads

LA is considering billing the state for extra personnel required:

LOS ANGELES—As state prison parolees began reporting to county authorities around California on Monday, Los Angeles city officials demanded money from the state to monitor the former inmates, warning that crime in the city could rise.
    The plan's biggest test will be in Los Angeles County, which is expected to receive 8,400 parolees over the next nine months—by far the most of any county. Of that number, 4,200 parolees are expected to return to the city of Los Angeles.
    Ya'll be careful out there!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Distinguished Member
    Thanks, Richard. Good advice.

Another side of the story is cuts and cutbacks in our police in these tough times.

Mods - I meant to post this thread in the "In the News" section. Please feel free to move if appropriate.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    LA is considering billing the state for extra personnel required:
    Suggestion for LA county sheriff...... Begin issuing CCW permits on a "Shall Issue" basis to citizens who pass a back ground check and who are fingerprinted.
    Nominal fee of $100 per permit would be required.

Suggestion to California authorities....... ship your hardened inmates to Russia for confinement. As I seem to remember reading the Russian Gulag system had very few escapes.
    If successful with California convicted criminals, other states could follow suit.
    Rock and Glock and msgt/ret like this.

VIP Member
    This has to be especially aggravating to the LEOs; they catch the criminals and lock them up only to have them released to catch all over again.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by rgbiker View Post
    Suggestion for LA county sheriff...... Begin issuing CCW permits on a "Shall Issue" basis to citizens who pass a back ground check
    Fixed it...fingerprinting doesn't prevent anything...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    This has to be especially aggravating to the LEOs; they catch the criminals and lock them up only to have them released to catch all over again.
    Catch and release should only be used in fishing tournaments!
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

There is one way to uphold the SC's mandate to decrease Prison Populations,all Career Criminals with lengthy violent rap sheets will be executed,that should decrease the population immensely
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Re-open Alcatraz - fill it up, and abandon it again.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Select the worst of the group and elect them to state or federal office. Then the folks in Sacramento or Washington D.C. have to worry about them.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Send them all to England, they can get off with a "caution" and not even enter the justice system!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member
    If I was California, I wouldn't waste money on new probation officers, I would just buy a whole bunch of one-way bus tickets for the freed felons. Of course that would royally suck for the states on the receiving end.

I look for more and more states to reduce their prison population as the economy worsens.

With less LE on the street and no place to hold BGs life could change in USA it could become very dangerous indeed.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I am glad that I left CA when I had the chance.

VIP Member
    And all the new razor wire FEMA camps sit empty, waiting for the white boxcars carrying people like me. There's a lot of unused space around Fairbanks, AK for a low maintenance tent city, where they can serve out the remainder of their probation.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links