Danger on the road

This is a discussion on Danger on the road within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is something that is too close to home for me. I almost lost a Nephew to somebody crashing into a towtruck. Tow Truck Operator ...

Thread: Danger on the road

Danger on the road

This is something that is too close to home for me. I almost lost a Nephew to somebody crashing into a towtruck.
    Tow Truck Operator Shows Why You Should "Move Over" | WSAV TV
    Here if you see emergency light you are to either slow down or move over.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Here in North Carolina it is state law to either slow down or move over for any emergency vehicle, my only complaint is the rubber neckers that have to see what going is on causing additional accidents.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Tn law now includes utility workers if lights on their vehicle are flashing. Most people move over if they can but if they can't I don't see much slowing down.

Don't have to tell me. That is what was left of my 40' straight truck. That's me in the middle with my hands in my pockets and my step dad in front. We got hit after we pulled over to put our wipers back on. They had iced up and were about to fly off. The impact was so severe it pushed the truck several feet into my step dad and threw him up the bank. We got hit by another straight truck. While a wrecker and a tire truck were on scene there was another accident. An SUV lost control, hit the tire truck, then hit the driver of the other tractor and pinched him between the SUV front bumper and the back of his truck. It messed him up pretty good. He was from Canada and spent 6 months in a Raleigh hospital, never went back to work. Stopping on the side of the road makes me really nervous. I spent 2 hours on the side of 485 in Charlotte a couple weeks ago, I hated every second of it.

I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

In the past, we've had them run over marked police cars with all the lights lit.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Damn CJ did you sneeze on that just as you took the pic?

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Damn CJ did you sneeze on that just as you took the pic?
    Na, it's a copy of the article that's seen a rough life. I decided to snap a pic because it was falling apart. I think it was in my log book for a while. Hard telling what that is.

That was one long day. The wreck happened at 6:45 am, we pulled off the scene in another truck about 1 pm. For those keeping track of such things, the heavy wrecker got there about 7:30 and runs a couple hundred dollars an hour. He was there when we left. My wild guess is that wreck cost easily $250K, maybe more. Two tractors seriously damaged, both loads destroyed (his was turkey eggs ours was a days delivery of furniture), one tire truck nearly totaled, an SUV damaged, heavy wrecker fee. That does not count the guys injuries. Even if you don't kill someone your insurance company is going to be a bit peeved and you'll likely be looking for new employment if it's work related.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    In the past, we've had them run over marked police cars with all the lights lit.
    I hear that is a problem with folks that have been drinking. They become fixated on the lights, develop tunnel vision and drive into them.

On the other side I have had issues with emergency vehicles that park in such a way that their lights blind the traffic coming up on the accident. I have had wreckers and other emergency vehicles parked on the wrong side of the road completely blinding the oncoming traffic.

Michael

Links