Stupid question of the year?

This is a discussion on Stupid question of the year? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've dealt with stupid people. All my life; as I'm sure most of you have as well. Well, it gets worse in the automotive field. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Stupid question of the year?

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen

Stupid question of the year?

I've dealt with stupid people. All my life; as I'm sure most of you have as well. Well, it gets worse in the automotive field. From things as simple as brake rotors being 'rotaries', to things that boggle the mind like "can I drive my car to your shop on a flat tire, and you guys fix it for me?"

But, I heard one today that really got me.

Woman pulled up to the store in her Buick, 'rims' and all. Didn't park in a parking space, and went inside. Saw her talking to the service writer for a moment, then they both went back outside to her car, and I hear 'the question'. "If my 'change oil soon' light is on, do I need an oil change?"

I almost died. Out of embarrassment for her. Then I couldn't help but start to hope that she hadn't procreated.

I almost went and asked her. And, also had to restrain myself from telling her that "No, it means that it's time for you to step out of the gene pool. And not get back in. EVER."

Harsh, maybe. But, really? That is THE MOST straight-forward warning light/reminder in the automotive industry. How can you screw it up?
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

2. Remove Ads

What's your definition of "soon"?
    ExactlyMyPoint likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I was in the auto parts store one day, and actually saw a woman come in and ask if they had "turn signal fluid" ..... to which we could not help but bust out laughing..... she said , "what , that's what my husband told me it needed " . She probably beat him severely when she got home.

A long long time ago, I saw the transmission being repaired , where the owner ( a very elderly gentleman) said he wanted to pass someone, so he put it in "R" for "race". He was doing 60 mph when he did this.

Oh, it goes on and on ... and on.

What bothers me is, that the shop my car goes to at times when I don't have time to do it ..... calls me up and asks me if I know how to fix it.... and I end up going down to explain or show them what's needed, how something works, etc. And these are considered, the good mechanics.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    I've dealt with stupid people. All my life; as I'm sure most of you have as well. Well, it gets worse in the automotive field. From things as simple as brake rotors being 'rotaries', to things that boggle the mind like "can I drive my car to your shop on a flat tire, and you guys fix it for me?"

Woman pulled up to the store in her Buick, 'rims' and all. Didn't park in a parking space, and went inside. Saw her talking to the service writer for a moment, then they both went back outside to her car, and I hear 'the question'. "If my 'change oil soon' light is on, do I need an oil change?"

I almost died. Out of embarrassment for her. Then I couldn't help but start to hope that she hadn't procreated.

I almost went and asked her. And, also had to restrain myself from telling her that "No, it means that it's time for you to step out of the gene pool. And not get back in. EVER."

Harsh, maybe. But, really? That is THE MOST straight-forward warning light/reminder in the automotive industry. How can you screw it up?
    If that's your worst from the automotive field you have led a sheltered life.

One example off the top of my head. "this doesn't taste burnt" (from a customer after he licked the transmission dipstick).
    atctimmy and joker1 like this.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Ya know you can`t fix stupid!.

VIP Member
    I have always liked the one where a person called for a tow because his remote would not work and he could not unlock his car.
    bwalker25 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    You know, some people just don't have the knowledge that you do. People do things that they don't have a clue about because they simply don't know. It's not their fault. It's not wrong. They are simply ignorant.

My girlfriend's very German mother saw my J frame and started asking me questions in her very limited English. I verified that it was unloaded and then handed it to her. The first thing she did was pull the trigger. This lady of 57 years is in no way stupid. That was the first time her hands had ever been on a firearm and she just didn't know.

Sometimes, others' ignorance is funny. Sometimes, people just need teaching. Be kind when someone doesn't know something that you do. Share your knowledge with him/her.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

She, and those like her, are why we have those stupid warning labels. You know the ones. Where the peanut M&M's say "may contain peanuts."

One of my good stories from the delivery days. We had to make repair calls if customers had problems with their furniture. Went on a call one day, about 45 minutes out of my way. Needed to look at a stuck drawer on a desk. Went in and the guy was on the phone. He managed to point us to the drawer. I try to open it and sure enough it won't open. I manage to get enough room to get a finger in there and I feel something in the drawer. Move it around and manage to open the drawer. I lay the pop up flat rolodex on the desk and tell him that's his problem. So he goes, "How would that make my drawer not work?" When I pushed the button to pop it up he could have crawled under the desk.

Then there was the lady that called complaining about, I kid you not, sticky drawers in her dresser. That even made it on the paperwork. I guess CS thought it was too good not to pass it along.

Just don't get me started on all the dumb things I've done though.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Well don't send anyone out for muffler oil as a joke anymore they might bring some back. DEF or Diesel exhaust fluid is real. I thought they were tryin a fast one on me at the shop and made them show it to me.

Michael
    joker1 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    You know, some people just don't have the knowledge that you do. People do things that they don't have a clue about because they simply don't know. It's not their fault. It's not wrong. They are simply ignorant.

My girlfriend's very German mother saw my J frame and started asking me questions in her very limited English. I verified that it was unloaded and then handed it to her. The first thing she did was pull the trigger. This lady of 57 years is in no way stupid. That was the first time her hands had ever been on a firearm and she just didn't know.

Sometimes, others' ignorance is funny. Sometimes, people just need teaching. Be kind when someone doesn't know something that you do. Share your knowledge with him/her.
    It's not about 'car stupid'. It's about stupid. How can you not know that 'change oil soon' means to change your oil? It wasn't like she was a young kid, with no experience without parents telling her. She was a grown woman, probably in her 40s. Been around long enough to have experienced it before.

I have had a guy argue with me about his 'Beetle needing a thermostat. His classic beetle- I think it was a 60-something. Only way those need a thermostat is if you have bought and installed the kit to change it to a water cooled engine. Which we determined he had not done.

I've had some good ones. But, this was just simple reading and comprehension.

As for my definition of soon; when that light comes on, it's time to change your oil.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Kind of like the woman that dialed 911 because the battery in her remote was dead and she was locked IN her car.
    bwalker25 likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Many Years ago I drove a tow truck for AAA in Beverly Hills California. (in the 60's). Had a call for a flat front tire and after jacking up the left front I ask the lady driver to get in and put her foot on the brake to lock the wheel to make removing the wheel lugs easier. There appeared to be no effect after that so thinking her break might be bad on that wheel I looked in the car and her foot was firmly pushing on the emergency brake which only locks the rear wheels. To make a long story short this was the only brake she ever used. I really wasn't convinced of that till she drove off and I saw the rear tires lock up at the first stop sign. Back then many older people still drove having never been required to take a drivers test. 5 years of working in Hollywood and Beverly Hills has provided me with 100's of interesting stories to tell my grand kids.
    Last edited by Maverickx50; October 5th, 2011 at 12:42 PM.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

What if she just had her oil changed and the light wasn't reset so it came on sooner than it was supposed to,that happens alot.But speaking of stupid questions,I love the ones that come in with the engine rattling and the oil light is on and they wonder why,and you ask them if they checked their oil and they say no.But its suprising the number of people that don't know how to check their oil.

Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I have had a guy argue with me about his 'Beetle needing a thermostat. His classic beetle- I think it was a 60-something. Only way those need a thermostat is if you have bought and installed the kit to change it to a water cooled engine. Which we determined he had not done.
    Here is a true article with photos about the air-cooled VW Thermostat. LINK> Vanes & Thermostat It works just like the thermostat on a pre-war Cadillac by blocking air flow. You can buy one here, LINK> Vanes & Thermostat A lot of guy used to remove them, as a failure would close the flaps, but that was a mistake, Dr. Porsche knew what he was doing. .

You have seen those Ammco transmission commercials where customers make silly noises and make faces? I hate it when customers do that get pissed when you laugh.

Well then should'nt that be a "Bruwick wit sum twenny fo's"?

Stubborn likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links