Would like advice on .22 rifle for my son

This is a discussion on Would like advice on .22 rifle for my son within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I think Santa's gonna bring him a .22 this Christmas. I know the 10/22 is the standard, but my 11-yr-old has been shooting my Remington ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NC Bullseye
  • 1 Post By CT-Mike

Thread: Would like advice on .22 rifle for my son

VIP Member

Would like advice on .22 rifle for my son

I think Santa's gonna bring him a .22 this Christmas.

I know the 10/22 is the standard, but my 11-yr-old has been shooting my Remington Speedmaster (semi-auto), and has decided that he'd prefer a bolt-action over semi-auto. He also wants it to be able to handle 22, 22lr and shorts. He also wants a synthetic black stock.

At the moment, I've been eyeballing Marlin's new XT22TR. It worries me a little that it's a new release, but the design is age-old.

What else should I be looking at?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The CZ 452 scout

CZ 452 2E ZKM Scout .22lr Youth $278.00 SHIPS FREE

I know it doesn't have a black stock but IMO it is THE BEST .22 out there for a young shooter. I have one of these and it is supremely accurate. I shoot in two .22 leagues and the CZs compete with other guns that cost 4 or 5 times the money. To people in the know the CZ is considered the working man's Anschutz. They are fantastic!

ETA: Here is another good one.

CZ USA 5 + 1 22 Long Rifle Bolt Action w/Blue Barrel & Synth $366.00 SHIPS FREE
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

It depends on his size. How does he handle a full sized 22 rifle? My son is 6 and I recently got him a Cricket 22. Youth sized, bolt action, black syn stock, drilled/tapped for scope if you want to add one. $119. once he out grows it, I'll buy him a full sized rifle. Thompson Center also makes a great youth sized break barrel, I tried to push that one on my son, but he wanted a bolt action.

All good options... find one in your price range:

Marlin 15YS
    Savage Cub
    Remington Model Five Youth
    Crickett .22
    CZ 452 Scout

VIP Member
    My full size Speedmaster is about the right size for him (40"). Thanks.

VIP Member
    +1 on the CZ Scout
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I can just about guarantee that you will get the best results in teaching a new youngster how to shoot with a good, single shot bolt action rifle with iron sights.

There are so many advantages to this in that it will teach them the mechanics of shooting with minimal equipment mechanical knowledge. You can do the full safety training without clouding the issues with addition hardware specific cautions. It's about the safest way to start since they get one shot and it's safe instead of pulling the trigger again while anxious. (I can vouch for this being pretty common on the new little guys learning).

Crickett has great guns that fit this bill and are very reasonable. You can pass on the rifle through generations and let your child teach theirs with the same gun. They have sizes for the real little folks as well as adult sized rifles. You can often score the youth rifles for under $100 on sale.

Crickett Firearms - My First Rifle - Youth Model 22 Rifles - Proudly Made In The USA

Good luck and remember to keep all 16 eyes on them when introducing them to shooting.

Don't forget to take pics!!!!!

Save the 10/22 for the next Christmas, he'll have a desire to start customizing by then and it's a great platform for that.
    WHEC724 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    I can just about guarantee that you will get the best results in teaching a new youngster how to shoot with a good, single shot bolt action rifle with iron sights.
    Agree.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I had no idea that Crickett made full size rifles as well.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I gave my son a Ruger 77/22 All-Weather. Bolt action like you are wanting, rock solid Ruger platform. His has the laminated wood stock, but I believe it comes in black synthetic as well.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    WHEC724 here is a link to the CZ Scout. It accepts 5 and 10 round mag's but also comes with a single shot adapter.
    Sounds like it would be something to "grow with". Single shot at first and magazine fed on down the road.
    It shows an MSRP of $298.00 but its been my experience with Gallery of Guns you'll probably be able to buy it for 15 to 20 % less than that.

www.GalleryOfGuns.com - Gun Genie - Davidson's most popular and powerful search engine to find and buy guns at galleryofguns.com
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Administrator
    I bought my boy a CZ scout. Its top notch, and he will have it forever.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I bought my boy a CZ scout. Its top notch, and he will have it forever.
    I just took my boy out tonight and he was nailing the spinners and the flippers every time. The CZ Scout is awesome. I wish I had a .22 like this when I was young. It is dead nuts accurate.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    We were eyeing the CZ scout as well. Of course, the boy wants the one with the nickel finish...

'Really appreciate the feedback, all.

My kid loves his S&W 15-22 but you said you're lookingfor a bolt rifle. Ruger's 77/22 is also a great choice!

-------------------
    "I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop! " ~Bob Mayne
    NRA MEMBER
    EDC: Beretta Nano

Links