Worst Jetlag EVER

This is a discussion on Worst Jetlag EVER within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yeah I know there are longer flights an I'm just whining but I flew into Stvanger Norway yesterday/today and was not able to sleep on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Worst Jetlag EVER

Worst Jetlag EVER

Yeah I know there are longer flights an I'm just whining but I flew into Stvanger Norway yesterday/today and was not able to sleep on the plane. By 4pm local time I was so exausted I had to sleep so I did. I woke up just after midnight and now it's a little after 1 and I aint sleepy. Worse yet I'm hungry!

2. Remove Ads

Room service???
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Going eastward, the jet lag can be a real killer. I try to to take an overnight flight if possible, getting to the destination sometime in the morning. Then try to stay up as long as I can through the day. I have found that works pretty well with getting you adjusted to the local time zone. Coming back, westward, if you leave early in the day, you will sort-of adjust on the flight back as the local time + flight time will get you to your destination semi-near the equivalent time at your destination.

If you are really having trouble adjusting and will be there for a little while, you might want to see if you can get some melatonin, which will help you with the sleep hormone cycle adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Room service???
    Great idea, but usually doesn't work in European hotels. The kitchen often closes by 8:00pm.

The only relief may be the vending machines.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I know how you feel. Went to Finland this summer.

Got off the plane then had two buses and a taxi to go. Added a few more hours to my journey.

I feel your pain, but be glad your going now. When I went the sun never went down fully. I love 3am daylight!!!

I use to commute between central Missouri and central Iraq a couple times a year; that's some jet lag; BUT I mostly worked over night so it really didn't matter.
    Eagleks likes this.

32 hrs with no sleep on flight back from China (21 hrs on the airplane), has been my longest.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Sympathies. Jet lag is miserable.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Going eastward, the jet lag can be a real killer. I try to to take an overnight flight if possible, getting to the destination sometime in the morning. Then try to stay up as long as I can through the day. I have found that works pretty well with getting you adjusted to the local time zone. Coming back, westward, if you leave early in the day, you will sort-of adjust on the flight back as the local time + flight time will get you to your destination semi-near the equivalent time at your destination.

If you are really having trouble adjusting and will be there for a little while, you might want to see if you can get some melatonin, which will help you with the sleep hormone cycle adjustment.
    I did a similar strategy, augmented with alcohol abuse. Going eastward, I'd get tanked in the Atlanta crown room, with a flight to Europe departing around 11-12pm, sleep the whole way there, and then start my day when I landed. I always packed munchies for when I woke up hungry in the middle of the night.

Years back I flew NYC to LA, 8-hour layover, then LA to Auckland, New Zealand, then a 2-hr flight to Christchurch on the south island. No sleep the whole way, then after I got my gear loaded in the rental car I was confronted with a roundabout (traffic circle) leaving the airport, and driving on the "wrong" side of the road. The adrenaline dump from that experience kept me awake another 12+ hours!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    BTDT, with over 5000 hours of flying time-logged jet lag was quite common. Since flying tends to dehydrate a person we usually rehydrated with plenty of beer then a meal and attempted to get eight hours of sleep before being alerted for the next T/O. Longest flight I remember is 18.4 hours from Tucson AZ to Korea unload then back to Yokota also included two air refuelings with four tankers inroute, just a normal 24 hour crew duty day.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I had to go to Denmark for a joint Military exercise back in the late 70's,flight was only a couple of hours from my base in England,but the food sucked,I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks and I wasn't over weight
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I had a Wacky travel schedule that put me in so many different time zones in a three week period.

Last Feb when I flew to Japan I started at 6 AM from Charleston to Dallas with a 4 hour layover in Dallas. Then on the 13 hr flight from Dallas (slept for 2 out of the 13 hrs) to Tokyo with an overnight stay in Tokyo and then a 1.5 hour flight from Tokyo to my final destination in Misawa. I was really glad that I had that overnight stay as it helped me get adjusted to the local time. I got into Tokyo at around 4 PM had to take a 2 hour bus ride from Narita International to Haneda International where my hotel was. Once I got settled at my hotel at around 6~7 PM I went out and got some dinner and went to bed at around 9:30 PM. I woke up the next morning at around 3 AM and did not feel tired for the rest of the day. Because of that overnight stay in Tokyo I did not have any issues for the week I was there.

Coming back was an experience as I flew strait from Misawa to Haneda bused from Haenda to Narita then from Narita to Atlanta then Atlanta to Charleston. I stayed overnight in Tokyo the way to Japan because all the flights from Haneda to Misawa departed by the time the flights stateside arrived at Narita. I departed Tokyo at 4:30 PM on Friday. I arrived in Charleston at 5 PM Friday (got to love that international date line). I then left Charleston at midnight Saturday for an 8 hour drive to Snowshoe WV to go skiing. Skied all day, drove back home and passed out for all of Sunday. I think the Skiing is what helped me get over the jet lag. I then had to fly out to California on that Monday.

After a week in CA I had to fly back home for the weekend and then fly back out Sunday to North Dakota for 2 weeks. Needless to say I was glad to be back in the office for at least a month after that crazy travel schedule.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Years back I flew NYC to LA, 8-hour layover, then LA to Auckland, New Zealand, then a 2-hr flight to Christchurch on the south island. No sleep the whole way, then after I got my gear loaded in the rental car I was confronted with a roundabout (traffic circle) leaving the airport, and driving on the "wrong" side of the road. The adrenaline dump from that experience kept me awake another 12+ hours!
    That's a long trip. We've done similar. Commuter flight to Dallas. Dallas to Honolulu, Honolulu to Auckland, Auckland to Perth. 3 back to back 9 hour flights, 12 time zones, and one commuter flight. Add in time for changing flights at each stop. At least we had someone meet us at the end.

It feels like you are about to die.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

While in the USAF and following the U2's all over the world, I spent a lot of time on Young Tiger flights. We used to start drinking a few hours before our scheduled flight, get as wasted as possible and still be able to board the plane. When the KC135 took off, we'd roll out the sleeping bags and sleep most of the flight.

I remember passing out on the flight from Anderson to U'Tapao, got off the KC135 in Thailand and spent the next 36 hours working on the newly shuttled in U2. Worked the acft straight thru, made the scheduled take-off time. Pre-flight complete, pilot on board, take-off..........smoke in the cockpit........crash on the end of the runway. Pilot OK, acft not so lucky.

Used to take a couple of days to recover from the jet lag. I was a lot younger then, now I feel hung over after 3 beers.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links