God, Gold, Groceries, and Guns...

This is a discussion on God, Gold, Groceries, and Guns... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The four G's...an interesting read. God, Gold, Groceries, and Guns*|*Godfather Politics...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: God, Gold, Groceries, and Guns...

The four G's...an interesting read.

God, Gold, Groceries, and Guns*|*Godfather Politics
    tcon67 and gunthorp like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by moehito View Post
    It's coming.
    I'm afraid sooner than we all realize.

I tend to agree; except I've been investing in lead
    bigdog44, Saber and Erick46590 like this.

Good read. I think I have most covered but I have never gotten the gold thing. Nice to own if you bought years ago. To much to buy now. As the article says, who will really trade for it anyhow. Goods will be key as will be ammo. Now that is the one missing here. Have a huge supply. In a crisis people will trade almost anything for a box to protect and hunt. If no crisis then the person with a nice supply just gets to go to the range every weekend.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

VIP Member
    I'll barter bullets for toilet paper. Anyone?

One's to save your ass. The other is to...well you'll think of something.

A gas station in CA advertised a gallon for two silver dimes. Junk silver is nice to have on hand. You can melt it to mold werewolf specials.
    A ton of lead, free. Alchemy book, $20. Turning it into gold, 3-4 million, but to protect the loved ones, priceless.

When I lived in Cancun I bought a Molida grain grinder for $2. Whole wheat, corn, rice, and beans are inexpensive and store nicely.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Had a foreboding dream the other night, a black violent dust storm rolled across America wiping out the economy. Very ominous & chilling came upon us suddenly.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Brilliant article! Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

My buddy tried to get me to buy gold in '99 but I never did do it. There was always something else that got my money and I never seemed to be in a position to buy it at $325ish/oz. North is right when he says that if you didn't buy it then, then you have missed the boat. Boy, did I miss the boat.

I never thought about the government being determined to keep utilities up and going but he makes a great point and it makes sense.

North makes a great point about being prepared for a tragedy. Even if you don't buy into SHTF scenarios, loosing your job is a very real scenario that could realistically happen to anyone at any time. Although North suggests being prepared for 6 mos. of down-time if you are un-employed, I believe being prepared for a year is more realistic; especially with a down turned economy.

Typically when we hear people talking about storing supplies as a means of bartering in a time of tragedy, we hear about groceries and everyday common items, like soap for example, etc. I agree with this but if you have the means and space to do so, I think you should also possibly buy clothes and blankets that would keep you warm in winter and shoes for any time of the year. Can you imagine what you could get for an insulated pair of boots or some Carhartt bibs if you were talking to a man with no shoes on his feet or a coat to wear because his was stolen? I'm not suggesting for you to take advantage of people in need but these items will have great value if something were to happen even for 6 mos. I would imagine that all of the stores would have been looted in the first month or so.

VIP Member
    Interesting reading. Some good points in the article.

VIP Member
    For all those fretting about how bad things are, who mistakenly think things have never been worse, who mistakenly believe there was a golden age of civil politics, who believe government does too much or too little, that banks have too much or too little power, that Uncle has too much or too little control, that the military is too small or too large-- who believe government can't ever get it right, or always gets it right, those who think paper money is an unconstitutional modern invention, and for those who think gold is just another commodity--and even for those who think they know the history of
    church-state relationships within the US:

Here's some leisure reading--especially if you like history, economics, and politics:

"The Leaders we deserved and a few we didn't" Alvin S. Felzenberg I got my copy off Amazon via Kindle. There are of course other stores and distributors.

There is NOTHING going on today that hasn't gone on here before, time and time and time again. It only looks bad if you don't have a good sense of history and of economic and political history. You'd be rather surprised at how much of what we agonize over today is exactly (well closely similar) to stuff that popped up at the very earliest times of our nation.

See my signature line.
    Last edited by Hopyard; October 9th, 2011 at 03:31 PM.
    mr.stuart likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Hard to discount the facts and I do ponder the issue fairly often. Been on the fence as to buying the remaining hardware, as its becoming more of a necessity than a luxury.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    For all those fretting about how bad things are, who mistakenly think things have never been worse, who mistakenly believe there was a golden age of civil politics, who believe government does too much or too little, that banks have too much or too little power, that Uncle has too much or too little control, that the military is too small or too large-- who believe government can't ever get it right, or always gets it right, those who think paper money is an unconstitutional modern invention, and for those who think gold is just another commodity--

Here's some leisure reading--especially if you like history, economics, and politics:

"The Leaders we deserved and a few we didn't" Alvin S. Felzenberg I got my copy off Amazon via Kindle. There are of course other stores and distributors.

There is NOTHING going on today that hasn't gone on here before, time and time and time again. It only looks bad if you don't have a good sense of history and of economic and political history. You'd be rather surprised at how much of what we agonize over today is exactly (well closely similar) to stuff that popped up at the very earliest times of our nation.

See my signature line.
    We have never been in a world economy like we are today and never has the world economy been on such shaky ground. That I believe is the deciding difference in today and any time in our history. If anybody thinks our country can withstand the path we are on today, they're in a deep state of denial.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcon67 View Post
    We have never been in a world economy like we are today and never has the world economy been on such shaky ground. That I believe is the deciding difference in today and any time in our history. If anybody thinks our country can withstand the path we are on today, they're in a deep state of denial.
    We were a maritime trading nation before our revolution and we were one afterward. The entire set of issues of free trade, tariffs, embargoes to cause others to bend to our will, and the effects of foreign economic conditions all were in play from the very start.

Moreover, our competition then were the great powers of Europe: England, France, Netherlands, Spain, not the developing powers of 3rd and 4th world countries. And these competitors controlled most of the then known world so the competition was effectively global then as now.

EVERYTHING we argue about today, central banks, trade, tariffs, embargoes, military preparedness (or lack thereof), state's rights in various related matters, ALL were wrestled with by Jefferson-- and not necessarily handled very well. He almost caused the New England states to secede. (They didn't teach you that in school, I suspect.)

No one can deny that we have large problems. We are 310 + million people with competing interests and views. Still, 91% of us (who are able) go to work each day. Our kids go to school.

Our country has been through numerous recessions and depressions, often brought on by inept government; starting with Jefferson actually. We have had dramatic periods of inflation, not just
    the one from 1973 to about 1990. We have had it and done it all before.

What we really suffer from is a populace that is largely ignorant of our history and of economic history; and mostly uninterested in learning. But, it has always been that way.

We have had policy made out of spite, out of greed, out of vision, out of bad intentions and out of good intentions. We've had it all--- usually by each president in his or her own way on each of several different issues.

We are still here.

I don't mean to belittle the difficulties of the truly poor, but far too many of us think poverty is not
    being able to afford 3 G and broadband.
    Yankeejib and SIXTO like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

The failure of the populace to recognize or have any awareness of history is fatal. It allows those is charge to "offer" their distorted versions of what actually happened and why.

Please dont imply I dont know what poor means. For your information, my ENTIRE months bills are less than 600.00 ( and yes I DO WORK FOR EVERY PENNY I MAKE). So no I dont live in the lap of luxury, but as I said before ANYBODY that dont believe we are headed for economic and civil disaster if we dont change our course and soon better get their intellectual head out their ass !

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcon67 View Post
    Please dont imply I dont know what poor means. For your information, my ENTIRE months bills are less than 600.00 ( and yes I DO WORK FOR EVERY PENNY I MAKE). So no I dont live in the lap of luxury, but as I said before ANYBODY that dont believe we are headed for economic and civil disaster if we dont change our course and soon better get their intellectual head out their ass !
    My comment about folks thinking that not having 3g and broadband = being poor was not aimed at you, as clearly I knew nothing of your circumstance when making that post.

I will however suggest that if you are actually living (due to low earnings) on $7,200 per year you should be attempting to take advantage of every social program which might aid you. That amount is about 40% below poverty for a single male. Buying gold or stocking up on ammo is not going to be the best use of your meager resources.

Clearly, things have to improve for our country, but they won't if we insist on making choices without paying attention to economic and political history.

We dug the hole and we can climb out, and we can do it without resort to radical solutions from either end of the political spectrum.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links