"Atlas Shrugged" Here's your chance to read tomorrows news today

This is a discussion on "Atlas Shrugged" Here's your chance to read tomorrows news today within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Atlas Shrugged is an "End Of The World" style novel published around 1957 by Ayn Rand and is almost an exact prophecy of what's going ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By NC Bullseye
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 2 Post By cmycek
  • 1 Post By packinnova

Thread: "Atlas Shrugged" Here's your chance to read tomorrows news today

"Atlas Shrugged" Here's your chance to read tomorrows news today

Atlas Shrugged is an "End Of The World" style novel published around 1957 by Ayn Rand and is almost an exact prophecy of what's going on today with the "Occupy Wall Street" movement.

We talk about all kinds of society ending scenarios like world war, biological events, asteroids, solar flares, etc, but seldom do we cover the real world massing of the latest generation of "We Are Entitled" believers.

If you have read it, have you gone back and reread it to see if you remembered it right? I did. Frighteningly enlightening.

If you haven't read it yet, do yourself a favor and pick up a copy. It's scarier than zombies to me since the villains in this scenario reproduce.
    Tzadik and PPKman like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It depressed the poo out of me.

It is amazing how accurate it is. For those of you who despise American companies for moving their operations overseas, this should be a real eye-opener.
    Tzadik likes this.

I'll have to get a copy and read it.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I'll have to get a copy and read it.
    I think its available on Audible in case you cant read?

I've got copy around here somewhere, started reading it once, now i just gotta find where the heck I put it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Who is John Galt? My hero, and my favorite novel of all time.
    Tzadik and PPKman like this.
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

Prophetic as anything Nostrodomus wrote only in English and not divided into annoying couplets and lacking any ambiguity.

+1. My copy was one that had been passed around the block so to speak. It has forever changed my life. Is it perfect? No, far from it, but the ideals presented are invaluable.

A friend gave Atlas to me years ago. When I opened it I found that there were already a number of other names written inside the cover and of course I had to ask why. It all started with one person. That person read the book and when finished decided to pass it to another. This next person passed it again and the cycle had begun. With each new person a new name was added to the inside of the cover. Eventually it got to my friend who passed it around as well and a year or so later it was returned to him. He then passed the book to me.

I passed it to another coworker at a different company a year or so later who in turn passed it to others. Eventually a common friend returned it to me instead of passing it along. I've since passed it to someone yet again. That book is old and tattered, the pages well worn and some of them even falling out at times. There's new editions printed, but there's something about a book that's been passed from person to person with inside cover showing just how many people had actually read it and passed it along. We're changing the world, albeit slowly and 1 person at a time.
    Tzadik likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Watch Too Big To Fail videos online on HBO.com

Here is another "eye opener". The economy has been even closer to a true collapse than most people know.

VIP Member
    I've read The Fountainhead and I started Atlas Shrugged but I didn't finish it. I may pick it back up again one day but until then I'll just have to agree with you guys. To be honest I found it a bit boring after reading the first one.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I've got copy around here somewhere, started reading it once, now i just gotta find where the heck I put it.
    Same here, although I know where I left it. I am not a good reader so I have ignored it. I did find it for check out as a audio book for download at my local library and have it on hold for me for when I am done with the Dick Winters Memoir.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I've read The Fountainhead and I started Atlas Shrugged but I didn't finish it. I may pick it back up again one day but until then I'll just have to agree with you guys. To be honest I found it a bit boring after reading the first one.
    '
    I couldn't put down either Fountainhead or Atlas and have read them many times over in 18 years. Have to check out End or World...

Jim

Ayn .. lots about the author written, a very unique powerful women, who's life make's a good racy/tacky read, anybody know how big a pile 16-17 trillion is ??? LOL nothing in Ayn's books about thievery on the scale we got here, no sir.....went through all her books in the 70's, and after that I grew up.

Links