Need a great Vodka Sauce Recipe

This is a discussion on Need a great Vodka Sauce Recipe within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Where I grew up (Pennsylvania, New Jersey Area), there is a small Italian restaurant that serves penne vodka. It is awesome. I cannot describe how ...

Thread: Need a great Vodka Sauce Recipe

Need a great Vodka Sauce Recipe

Where I grew up (Pennsylvania, New Jersey Area), there is a small Italian restaurant that serves penne vodka. It is awesome. I cannot describe how good it tastes. I tried other Italian restaurants and they all are crap compared to this restaurant. Most taste like a spicy marinara mixed with heavy cream and basil. How can all these Italian restaurants that serve great food not be able to make good vodka sauce??

I then ate at an italian restaurant in Little Italy. WOW!! It taste just like the Italian restaurant in my home town!!!! I later tried another restaurant in little italy and again it tasted the same !!

I have tried about 5 highly rated Vodka sauces online. While many were very very good, none had that same taste.

So what is the problem? Is it the recipe or the ingredients or a combination of both??

2. Remove Ads

Ask the restaurant for the recipe. Sometimes they will share.

I fancy myself as a pretty good cook when it comes to Italian, and I've tried a number of vodka sauces. When it's gets down to the heart of the matter, all the other ingredients (tomatoes, spices, herbs) make a far greater statement than the vodka does! I have no problem asking the chef what he/she thinks makes a dish so successful or what gives it a special taste. In the Patricia Wells Trattoria cookbook (my favorite for pasta recipes), there's only 2 tablespoons of vodka but a big can or tomatoes, 4 cloves of garlic, red pepper flakes, parsley leaves and heavy cream. Think you could actually taste the vodka in all that?

I'll be happy to send along that full recipe if you'd like, just pm me.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

joepa, I've been to a few of those Italian restaurants in Little Italy (NYC) and everything was absolutely fantastic.

It's no wonder they hit a home run with that sauce you've been craving.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Ask the restaurant for the recipe. Sometimes they will share.
    Tried many times. Even tried to be a bit tricky and say things like, "Wow, the Prosciutto or Pancetta you use really seems to make this sauce. Or I can tell that using fresh tomatos really is key?

They keep the recipe a very guarded secret unfortunately.

Vodka+rocks usually works for me. But not on pasta!!!!!!!!
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Enough straight vodka & you are sauced... It's great!
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

1: Prepare pasta according to directions on package.

2: Plate pasta

3: Douse pasta liberally with vodka of choice.

4: Enjoy!
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

VIP Member
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Tried this one. Good but not the best recipe that I've made. I am thinking that maybe it necessarily isn't the recipe but the ingredients. The restaurants probably use all fresh tomatoes better than I can buy at my local grocery store. They probably get there Parmesan, and meat from a local Italian deli while I get my at a grocery store.

Most recipes I 've found and tried are all pretty similar with minor variations. I was hoping that maybe there is some missing secret ingredient or something that I am missing. Something that is not obvious.

Links