Fight to The Death, Blood Sports

This is a discussion on Fight to The Death, Blood Sports within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just watched Arena and am a fan of the Gladiator and Spartacus. The wife was saying how nice it is that we have evolved past ...

View Poll Results: Would People pay to watch Blood Sports Fights To The Death

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutley! People would pay to watch modern day Galdiators

39 70.91%
  • NO that is sick and depraved. We have grown way past that

14 25.45%
  • I don't know.

2 3.64%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Fight to The Death, Blood Sports

Just watched Arena and am a fan of the Gladiator and Spartacus. The wife was saying how nice it is that we have evolved past the desire for that kind of sport. I disagree. I think the ONLY reason those sports do not exist is because it is illegal.
    But say it was legal. Now that you can have live streaming Hi Def video on the internet. Say that there was a country that would allow Blood Sports Fights to The Death. No doubt through out the world there would be no shortage of folks who would be willing to risk their lives for a multi million dollar pay out which would be easily do able if people paid to watch I am not asking whether or not YOU would pay to see that but do you think that we live in a world where enough people would watch it to make it a viable?

Correction in the poll Gladiators NOT Galdiators sorry
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

VIP Member
    Given the quality of entertainment, you have a point that there is a market for this "snuff".

Legally, as you intone; and ethically, as you imply, we are past that.

But you point to a market of desparate warriors that is less than where we last left the last gladiator bleeding in the sand. At least they devoted their lives to the ultimate conflict. Well, it's really no great leap from Roseanne and any fat slob can be a TV star to, now, according to your scenario, any fat slob can be a gladiator.

Might as well use FOIA to stream prison riots, flash mobs, and street fights aka, youtube. Methinks the thing would die from lack of quality. Thumbs down.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

People can be sick. I think you'd get a lot of viewers, I would not be one of them though.

VIP Member
    I personally would not watch it, but then I watch very little TV anyway. That having been said, there would be, in my opinion, a pretty large market for such a show. As H. L. Menchen stated - "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste if the American people".
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Pass. For those of us who've seen enough death, it loses it's allure.

However, given my dim view of humanity in general, I think it would polarize the libs as another opportunity to claim the high moral ground, while the masses embrace it like a national past-time.

VIP Member
    There would be people who would waste their money to watch it. Just like there are people who waste their money to watch PPV boxing and MMA. They are both blood sports, just not to the death. I am not one of them.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have no doubt that the same people that enjoy watching 2 grown men beat each other bloody would get an even bigger thrill to watch them fight to the death,right up there with guys that bet on dog fights etc.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Two regular guys? Definitely not

Two convicted murderers? Probably not.

I enjoyed the movie Death Race, but I don't think I'd watch it if it were real.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    There would be people who would waste their money to watch it. Just like there are people who waste their money to watch PPV boxing and MMA. They are both blood sports, just not to the death. I am not one of them.
    I intended to post an almost verbatim comment.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I think you could make a fortune, I don't think the human race has changed all that much for the better. As for me, I only watch animal planet, history channel, and fishing (and I let all the fish I catch go).
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Thunderdome! Use death penalty convicts. The money could repay the system and the victim's families.

Society would suck this up...No question about it. Our thirst for death is still alive and active.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Administrator
    2 Men Enter!...One Man Leaves!...Two Men Enter!....One Man Leaves!

Oh...there would be a market for "Fight To The Death" blood sports. That's for sure.
    It's the low-life dogfight mentality & there is no shortage of it even in the U.S.

Bottom of the barrel society is incrementally inching toward it.

I personally wouldn't be too very interested.

Now...bringing back the guillotine for public executions of guilty scumbags that have run out of appeals.
    That's a whole different story.

Let the good times & the worthless heads begin to roll. Pass me a beer & the chips & dip.

Televised, Close Focus, BIG SCREEN ~ in High Definition Split Screen & Zooming in on the EYES as the blade comes down...it really WOULD be an effective deterrent.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

Now...bringing back the guillotine for public executions of guilty scumbags that have run out of appeals.
    That's a whole different story.

Let the good times & the worthless heads begin to roll. Pass me a beer & the chips & dip.

Televised, Close Focus, BIG SCREEN ~ in High Definition Split Screen & Zooming in on the EYES as the blade comes down...it really WOULD be an effective deterrent.

Um what, none for me thanks, I'll block that channel.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

As some have "suggested" putting two convicted murderers to kill each other or to bring back the public execution of criminals really sounds like a grand idea to thwart murder.

In reality, even though I believe in capital punishment, it doesn't deter a determined or mentally unstable killer. All it will do is remove that criminal from being alive in our society.

If we could find out in the first place what makes people want to kill others for no other reson than just the thrill of it, then we would be on the right path to deterring it. I don't see that happening but the public display of execution has been done in the past with little effect on the crime we wish to prevent.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links