Woeful inefficiency of Government - Colorado DMV

This is a discussion on Woeful inefficiency of Government - Colorado DMV within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, the time came for me to renew my drivers license (end of Oct). Colorado has an online renewal process, wife used it (6 months ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Woeful inefficiency of Government - Colorado DMV

Well, the time came for me to renew my drivers license (end of Oct). Colorado has an online renewal process, wife used it (6 months early) and had been on me to get it done.

I typically am only on the computer in the early hours of the morning, where the Colorado Govt. system is down for maintenance, so it was not until mid Sept that I finally got mine done.

Their website states "Can take up to 30 days to receive your new ID or Drivers License". Well, I am getting anxious since I have not received it yet, so I got to looking around to see if there was a way to check the status. Under their "Help" section, it states under Delivery Time, that "It can take up to 30 Business days to receive your new ID or Drivers License" WTH!?! 6 weeks for a simple renewal with a digital photo they have on file?!?

Normally I would not stress it, but there is this sticky little requirement to have a Valid ID along with ones CCW permit. Insult to injury, I am flying to Las Vegas for a week vacation at the end of the month, hoping to enjoy my non-res carry permit I got last trip.

Murphy has a way of showing up when you are least prepared/most vulnerable....Hope my Passport will suffice as ID for the time being.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Sounds like CO has a process similar to NC. Gone are the days when you go into the DMV and walk out with your license 15 minutes later. Until Sept of this year, I had never even heard of online renewals or having your license mailed to you from a central processing location.

As far as your ID goes, generally the requirements state a govt issued ID, not necessarily a driver's license, but I am not 100% certain with regards to CCW which is more state residency oriented.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Gone are the days when you go into the DMV and walk out with your license 15 minutes later.
    It took me five in Pennsylvania over the summer. The worst part was that there was one lady doing renewals (and three others sitting with her talking about old TV shows) so I just walked up to her station. She told me to go back and take a number. Their pager system immediately sent me back to her desk. It was weird....maybe that's how they count transactions.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Well, the time came for me to renew my drivers license (end of Oct). Colorado has an online renewal process, wife used it (6 months early) and had been on me to get it done.

I typically am only on the computer in the early hours of the morning, where the Colorado Govt. system is down for maintenance, so it was not until mid Sept that I finally got mine done.

Their website states "Can take up to 30 days to receive your new ID or Drivers License". Well, I am getting anxious since I have not received it yet, so I got to looking around to see if there was a way to check the status. Under their "Help" section, it states under Delivery Time, that "It can take up to 30 Business days to receive your new ID or Drivers License" WTH!?! 6 weeks for a simple renewal with a digital photo they have on file?!?

Normally I would not stress it, but there is this sticky little requirement to have a Valid ID along with ones CCW permit. Insult to injury, I am flying to Las Vegas for a week vacation at the end of the month, hoping to enjoy my non-res carry permit I got last trip.

Murphy has a way of showing up when you are least prepared/most vulnerable....Hope my Passport will suffice as ID for the time being.
    Well, since they out sourced the printing of drivers license to Bangladesh it's increased the turn around time a bit.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Woefully understated. There can't be a more inefficient agency on God's green earth. Queue up before the doors open and bring your lunch with you if you intend to renew in person. Better plan on taking the day off from work as well.
    surefire7 likes this.

Sorry for your troubles. In DE you can renew your license in about 20 minutes in person, can't do it online here yet.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Technology is great, the easier it gets, the worse it gets...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    ...Hope my Passport will suffice as ID for the time being.
    There is no better form of I.D. than your passport. It's used around the world and is easily validated and substantiates your citizenship.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

How many of your average U.S. street LEOs will recognize or cope well with either a Passport, or Passport card...from a US citizen? Not something they encounter often I'll wager.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    How many of your average U.S. street LEOs will recognize or cope well with either a Passport, or Passport card...from a US citizen? Not something they encounter often I'll wager.
    Well, I was an average run-of-the-mill peace officer and Passport documents are more recognized than a military I.D.. Just look at one; they’re pretty official looking.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I never use my DL for I.D. I always use my passport card. It gives no indication of your address or the state you live in. Plus you can't just "run" the number. I couple that with my FL permit with the no address option and cash. You open my wallet and all you know is that I live possibly in FL. That's it. No debit cards or other crap with my name on it that shouldnt be in my wallet anyway. My DL stays locked up my car with my insurance info.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Well, here we are, Nov 9th and still no drivers license.

I called the DMV Monday and left a message on their automated system.

It seems that they processed and sent out my license on the 26 of Sept. Somewhere between the DMV and my mailbox, it vanished. The DMV callback yesterday asked me if maybe I tossed it in the tax pile, since that seems to be the most common thing people do with letters from Colorado Department of Revenue.

I replied with "I have been checking every single envelope coming into the house anxiously waiting for it". I even went as far as to go through every piece of mail in the file box just to make sure when I got home last night. Nothing.

So, now I have to go to the DMV in person before the 16th to get it renewed So much for hassle free online services.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

So, now I have to go to the DMV in person before the 16th to get it renewed So much for hassle free online services.
    If you go get queued up now you just might get your license by early afternoon. Gotta love that Colorado DMV.

Already planning on being at the front doors by 7:45 tomorrow.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Well, here we are, Nov 9th and still no drivers license.

I called the DMV Monday and left a message on their automated system.

It seems that they processed and sent out my license on the 26 of Sept. Somewhere between the DMV and my mailbox, it vanished. The DMV callback yesterday asked me if maybe I tossed it in the tax pile, since that seems to be the most common thing people do with letters from Colorado Department of Revenue.

I replied with "I have been checking every single envelope coming into the house anxiously waiting for it". I even went as far as to go through every piece of mail in the file box just to make sure when I got home last night. Nothing.

Any possibility that your justified frustration is misdirected and the real culprit is the US Postal Service?
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links