Do you know what is annoying?

This is a discussion on Do you know what is annoying? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by SIXTO When the dang dealer whom I let do my last oil change in my Jeep uses an impact wrench (over tighten) ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Do you know what is annoying?

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    When the dang dealer whom I let do my last oil change in my Jeep uses an impact wrench (over tighten) and rounds off the drain plug.

That is the second time its happened to me, the first was on my beloved Mustang GT. Thank goodness for a vise grip and a auto parts store I can ride my dirt bike to. I just had to vent.
    Super pain , isn't it. Or, them forgetting to put the plug back on or the oil in it too.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

Brother-in-law had a Volkswagon. The dealer serviced it, and stripped the oil plug, so the vehicle had a slow leak. Jon went straight from dealership in St Louis, toward his mother's home in Chicago. Around Springfield the engine seized up. He had the car towed back to St Louis, and the dealer said it was his fault the block cracked because he ran it with no oil in it.

That was a very interesting lawsuit.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    "Leave some lug nuts loose after you rotated the tires."
    "Oh, we can't do that, sir."
    "Well, you did it last time, and it wrecked the studs and the wheel holes."
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Your flesh eating bug ate all of the skin off that guy!

Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I had one forget to tighten the drain plug when they did the oil change. It finally backed out at 45 mph dumping 5 1/2 qts of 10W-30 on the asphalt.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

It's the very reason I do as much of my own car maintenance as possible, even though I don't enjoy it in the least. It goes back to the old "If you want something done right.." saying. Having a guy who makes minimum wage tinker with my $25,000.00 pickup truck is more than a little unsettling.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Brother-in-law had a Volkswagon. The dealer serviced it, and stripped the oil plug, so the vehicle had a slow leak. Jon went straight from dealership in St Louis, toward his mother's home in Chicago. Around Springfield the engine seized up. He had the car towed back to St Louis, and the dealer said it was his fault the block cracked because he ran it with no oil in it.

That was a very interesting lawsuit.
    How far did "jon" drive this car with the OIL light on? Not excusing what was done but your BIL shares in this somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BioGLoCK23 View Post
    It's the very reason I do as much of my own car maintenance as possible, even though I don't enjoy it in the least. It goes back to the old "If you want something done right.." saying. Having a guy who makes minimum wage tinker with my $25,000.00 pickup truck is more than a little unsettling.
    I know what you mean, but crawling under cars changing oil is a major pain in the butt at my age (well, at any age really). The sad thing is that in my area, the going rate for a guy to pretty much do oil changes, tires, and brakes is $12 to $16 an hour. Admittedly, that won't make you rich, but it's a lot better than minimum wage and doesn't require a whole lot of training beyond "lefty loosey, righty tighty".
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I also do my own oil change.pre-torque drian plug,then loosen,drain new plug gasket tighten then torque drain plug to spec's.you'll never have oil leaks when done properly.

I had a VW Passat once. Darn thing had an undertray under the engine compartment - you know, for downforce when you're doing 130 MPH on the Autobahn. Every time I had the oil changed (which required dropping the undertray), I would get a rattle, because they would never put the darn thing back on right. Finally got so pissed I had them take it off altogether and throw it away...

Oh...and the drain plug was metric. Morons stripped it, more than once.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

crawling under cars changing oil is a major pain in the butt at my age
    Which is why I got a "Quik-Change" sump plug. You flip the cotter-pin type thing, rotate the fitting, and the oil drains out - no more unscrewing and retightening.

The thing is, eventually you learn that the dealer or lube shop monkeys are incompetent minimum-wage flunkies and it isn't worth the money to let these goombahs manhandle your baby.

In my case, my open roadster is so rare that most mechanics have never even seen one, let alone worked on one of them. It's a losing bet to let them try to figure out how it's put together. Doing my own maintenance is just like cleaning the guns - a meditative relaxing process that gives me confidence.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Can relate. I don't know what the Toyota dealer did to my brand new 4 Runner back in 2003, but it leaked oil after the first change at 3 K. They fixed it, and its been fine since, but it was more than just leaving the bolt loose. I think they had to re-thread and replace the bolt or do some other "inventive" fix that they have never come clean about.

I'm always afraid to bring a car in for even the most minor repair. Experience has taught that about half the time it comes back with something extra wrong with it. E.g., one time a tire picked up a screw at the shop. One time a mechanic left his cigar to burn a hole in the battery. Hole and cigar were obvious when I opened the hood on getting the car home. Another time I bought new tires and the kid who changed them out stripped the wheel lugs. Of course they never own their mistakes.
    I absolutely know what you are talking about. I try to do oil changes myself but I bought a 2010 4Runner last year and you have to have a special tool to even take out the oil filter element which is enclosed in a cannister. The mechanic that I have trusted to work on my vehicles for the last 14years just quit the dealership where I get my work done now and I don't trust any of those clowns there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I know what you mean, but crawling under cars changing oil is a major pain in the butt at my age (well, at any age really). The sad thing is that in my area, the going rate for a guy to pretty much do oil changes, tires, and brakes is $12 to $16 an hour. Admittedly, that won't make you rich, but it's a lot better than minimum wage and doesn't require a whole lot of training beyond "lefty loosey, righty tighty".
    A good car-jack and jack stands can take a lot of the discomfort out of the job. If you have arthritis I could see twisting on the filter being a problem, but otherwise there's not much exertion required.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpoppa48 View Post
    you have to have a special tool to even take out the oil filter element which is enclosed in a cannister.
    Now, THAT'S irritating!

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Which is why I got a "Quik-Change" sump plug. You flip the cotter-pin type thing, rotate the fitting, and the oil drains out - no more unscrewing and retightening.
    Sounds interesting. Can you flip the cotter-pin type thing and rotate the fitting without having to get under the car? That's my big complaint. Well that, and having to haul the used oil back to one of the oil change guys to dispose of properly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links