Do you know what is annoying? - Page 3

Do you know what is annoying?

This is a discussion on Do you know what is annoying? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Bigpoppa48 I absolutely know what you are talking about. I try to do oil changes myself but I bought a 2010 4Runner ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Do you know what is annoying?

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpoppa48 View Post
    I absolutely know what you are talking about. I try to do oil changes myself but I bought a 2010 4Runner last year and you have to have a special tool to even take out the oil filter element which is enclosed in a cannister. The mechanic that I have trusted to work on my vehicles for the last 14years just quit the dealership where I get my work done now and I don't trust any of those clowns there now.
    No you don't. I do stuff like that all the time. I have a lady that brings her 2011 Tundra in every 3,500 for an oil change- which I will no longer work on due to previous injuries caused by said vehicle.
    The filter comes with two new O-rings, and a plastic bit that fits into the canister. Use a 3/8 drive ratchet to pull the small silver 'disk' off the 'bottom' of the canister, and insert the plastic piece to drain the oil from the filter. Remove plastic piece. (This is where I had to get 'inventive') Get a long-ish punch- with a FLAT end NOT a point- and a light hammer. Put the hammer against one of the little flanges on the side of the canister (remembering your lefty loosey) and GENTLY tap the end of the punch to rotate the canister until you can remove it by hand. Once this is done, replace your filter element, BOTH O-rings, and use the disk with the 3/8 square drive to tighten the canister back down.

I had a woman come to us from Wal-Mart and try to tell me that her Toyota Corolla required a special tool to change the filter- and "[she knew] this because the guys a Wal-Mart told her that, so the hadn't changed [her] filter at the last two oil changes". Service writer wrote her up, and I had her oil- AND filter- changed in about 15 minutes. She no longer does any business at Wal-Mart.
    -----------------------------------------

Also, a lot of people being their cars in for oil changes with messed up drain plugs, or oil pans. And they ALWAYS blame us. Even when we bring them out to their vehicle and show them that the head of the drain plug is rounded off and we have the video to prove that we haven't even put a wrench to it yet. But it is still the tech's fault that it's screwed up. NO- it's not. Especially when the sticker in the window is from O'Reilley's, AutoZone, or Advance Auto. Which, typically means that the owner did it, or their cousin's friend's brother's ex-nephew's father Jim-Bob did it under the shade tree with a pair of pliers and after the six-pack you paid him with.

YES, a lot of the time it IS a negligent tech. But not as often as people seem to think.

---Rant over, sorry.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Well that, and having to haul the used oil back to one of the oil change guys to dispose of properly.
    I keep my used oil in several 5-gallon buckets and make a trip to the parts store about one every 6 months. It's a pain in the rump, but it's only two trips a year.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    YES, a lot of the time it IS a negligent tech. But not as often as people seem to think.

---Rant over, sorry.
    We all know that you techs have declared jihad on drain plugs. You're not fooling anyone!

Just kidding... but, somebody needs a hug!

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by BioGLoCK23 View Post
    We all know that you techs have declared jihad on drain plugs. You're not fooling anyone!

Just kidding... but, somebody needs a hug!
    Only on the ones that deserve it. I have NEVER used any power tools to remove/install a drain plug. (I'm saving that for the REALLY annoying customers )

And, yes, I DO need a hug. I also need a decent wage. 6.75/hr for being there + 5.50/hr flat rate < anywhere near enough.
    BioGLoCK23 likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

There is a small shop in my hometown that supports my old high school's band program and does great work, so I give them my business whenever I can. I am not so lucky when I am at school. There are nothing but one bay garages owned by some sketchy people and dealerships. The Ford dealership does good work and have been great to deal with when I've gone in for ignition coils, and I have a recall out on my F150, so I figure I'll do that and get an oil change while they're at it.

I will never go to a chain.

oooh... I feel the pain. I had to replace the exhaust on my 4Runner 2 years ago. It had a bolt on flange from the front pipe to the rear so I ordered the replacement OEM bolt on replacement set. Didn't even think to look a bit closer at the joint first... Apparently the previous knucklehead had put the bolts through the holes in the flange and then WELDED the bolts in place sans nuts.

The part that really t'd me off is that one had to have had some serious thought to come up with such a plan since the blasted seal between the flanges probably wouldn't have sealed unless you put a couple of sets of vice grips on the flanges while you welded the bolts or something.

Yeah...it was a bad day to be around me by the time I finally got that one done...

Say it together now: If it's designed to weld, weld. If it's designed to bolt, bolt. Do not HALF-BOLT and HALF-WELD together. Ugh.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'll refer you to my pumpkin.
    LOL that made me chuckle!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    And I complain about the pain of changing the oil filter on my Sentra. I won't do it hot. Then I complain about the $9/quart oil that I put in it... then I smile when I remember I just have to use three quarts.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links