Gun confiscation in The Walking Dead

This is a discussion on Gun confiscation in The Walking Dead within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Interesting subplot on tonight's season premiere of The Walking Dead: the camper guy and the cops suddenly decided no one should have guns but them ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Gun confiscation in The Walking Dead

Gun confiscation in The Walking Dead

Interesting subplot on tonight's season premiere of The Walking Dead: the camper guy and the cops suddenly decided no one should have guns but them (and, I guess, the good old boy with the crossbow), so they confiscated Andrea's 1911, which her father had given her. Apparently they don't want anyone without "training" to be armed. She has a pretty good speech about it. Definitely thought provoking.

2. Remove Ads

Sort of mimics real life doesn't it!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I thought that was unfair! I would have brought up the constitution in my argument, but it wouldn't count for much post apocalypse....

Nate

Sent from Nates Droid X

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Interesting subplot on tonight's season premiere of The Walking Dead: the camper guy and the cops suddenly decided no one should have guns but them (and, I guess, the good old boy with the crossbow), so they confiscated Andrea's 1911, which her father had given her. Apparently they don't want anyone without "training" to be armed. She has a pretty good speech about it. Definitely thought provoking.
    It was not a 1911 they confiscated but a Lady Smith and Wesson according to IMFDB.

As far what they did, it was really wrong. Especially in light of the situation.
    shooterX and TN_Mike like this.

Senior Moderator
    Good thing it was only a movie, otherwise it might tick me off.
    atctimmy and SIXTO like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The primary culprit is Dale (motor home guy) who confiscated Andrea's gun. A good part of the reason is her intent to commit suicide in season 1, which Dale thwarted. He is kind of a control freak. In addition he does not let anyone know that the motor home hose is repaired, so they can keep looking for the lost little girl and not have to decide to leave her and continue on. Lori gives Andrea the gun that Daryl gave to her but Andrea gives it back.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Stupid show, lots of dumbness. Military weapons everywhere and they argue over a pistol? Free vehicles and fuel and they are flogging a 70s Winnebago? I would be in this, just run over the goons. I'm done wasting time on it. Got a new book to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    Stupid show, lots of dumbness. Military weapons everywhere and they argue over a pistol? Free vehicles and fuel and they are flogging a 70s Winnebago? I would be in this, just run over the goons. I'm done wasting time on it. Got a new book to read.
    So you'd rather a movie where they just snap up some good gear, maintain perfect discipline and perimeters, neutralize the zombie threat, and just settle into a comfortable suburban lifestyle? No, I know what you mean, I couldn't believe how they all just went wandering off pell mell when they found the remains of that traffic jam. But then again, especially in the horror genre, you often wouldn't have much of a story if you didn't have the main characters making some pretty stupid mistakes. For some reason, though, I just like the post-apocalyptic genre, so I'm willing to forgive them some silliness.

D'oh! on the gun mis-ID. Knew I should have looked it up. But to me it's really interesting how the show is setting up a kind of clash between what you could describe as "collective rights" vs. "individual rights." There's the gun issue, and then there's Dale's decision to keep information about the water hose from the group, because he has made the personal decision to keep the group there to look for the little girl. It's understandable, but if I were there, especially if I were a parent, too, I'd want all the information so I could make my own choice. It's interesting to see the pro and con of paternalism here. (I say all this with full awareness of how thoroughly I deserve to be mocked for reading all of this into a silly zombie show.)
    ErnieNWillis likes this.

blades dont jam, or run out of bullets when you need them most, and kill quietly.... while i would still want a gun, the machetes are a great tool... problem is, they should just go for he neck hit...

DVR'd this, but I haven't watched it yet. Given the post-apocalypse setting of this series, if anyone wants my guns they're getting them hot barrel first! I think LEOs would be my first choice for company in such a scenario, but I would no longer acknowledge their "authority" if we're fighting zombies side-by-side. Once our government shuts down, the laws that it created and enforced are suspended as far as I am concerned.

I know it is just a hollywierd liberal slanted show but one must wonder why someone would be separated from their PDW for even a moment in that situation, why military arms and ammo are not collected, why none of them are wearing any eye protection, why they are not consolidating their gear and vehicles and using military transports, and why they aren't trying to make their way to high ground and trying to build a fortified community in an area with a water source where they can farm and forage.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I understand they don't want anyone popping off a round and bringing the horde of zombies back looking for a confirmed meal. Any armed person being attacked by a zombie is likely to revert to gunfight mode if they don't have sufficient intestinal fortitude and the training to H2H/blade a zombie head. The last scene where the kid is shot, I guess by a hunter, is poorly done. Both the kid and the deer are in a clearing so the unknown shooter should have seen the kids behind the deer.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I haven't watched this show, and I thought about starting since a lot of people like it. I don't know if I could handle the stupidity and "hollywood" that you guys are talking about, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    It's the zombie times and you want my gun?

Oh, no, you don't...It's gonna get loud and you REALLY don't want to attract zombies with all the noise, so why don't you just go away and leave me a few mags, some MRE's and a bottle of Jack.

If you don't...well.

Bang.

Senior Moderator
    I'm okay with zombie movies and stuff but there's only so much you can do before it seems to start getting repetitive.

As already stated, they have to keep the characters doing stupid things or it wouldn't be a drama anymore and that frustrates me to the point where I can no longer watch the show.

I just tried watching the first episode of this new season and got bored with the stupidity and stopped it.

OH NO! "We can't spare the gas" to go around the major traffic jam but while we're stopped because our car broke down in the middle of it let's go ahead and siphon gas cause we'll eventually need it. Ummmmmm...... how about doing that first and then driving around?

A police officer gets out of the RV in the middle of a zombie infested traffic jam and fails to put his pistol together before doing so? No dice... that gun would be assembled and loaded to the max before the RV door opened.

Speaking of that, a lady gets into the RV to try to put back together the Glock and hasn't figured out the prudence of shutting the door behind her?

And while I understand that some people have trouble learning how to take apart and put together firearms... this lady has been in this infestation for how long? Carrying a gun for how long? Shooting zombies with that gun for how long and a) hasn't learned how to maintain a firearm yet and b) watched the cop-dude take apart and clean his Glock and still cannot figure out how to put it back together despite sitting peacefully with it for a good ten minutes BEFORE the panic starts? There are five parts (magazine, slide, barrel, spring, frame) to an disassembled Glock. If an adult with any kind of working knowledge of firearms can't figure out how to put it back together after watching it being disassembled and cleaned then, no, they shouldn't have a gun.

And if she can't get it together in 10 minutes of peace, how the heck did she expect to get it put together with a zombie breathing down her neck? Time for Plan B, honey--which, by the way, she was doing quite well until she tried putting it together AGAIN!!!

Little girl is running through the forest getting chased by zombies. The other zombies are far enough away to where they don't hear the lady crying about the girl but the officer dude who follows her into the woods can't just yell out, "Run towards me!"?

That was when they lost me. It wasn't even fifteen minutes into the episode... too much perfectly avoidable BS.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links