Excellent Quail Hunt

This is a discussion on Excellent Quail Hunt within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I had an excellent Quail hunt despite challenging winds. The Quail did not want to get up so we litterally had to kick them up ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ctr

Thread: Excellent Quail Hunt

VIP Member

Excellent Quail Hunt

I had an excellent Quail hunt despite challenging winds. The Quail did not want to get up so we litterally had to kick them up into the air. They really took off with the wind. More challenging to hit as well.

The dogs worked impressively despite the scent being all over the place. Often the points were 10 feet or so away from the actual birds because of the wind. The dogs also had a tough time finding the dead birds; a couple were unrecoverable, unfortunately.

Still, a very good day in the field.
    pistola likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Sounds like fun.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Administrator
    Awesome! You guys have an early season; was this a pay farm or wild?
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Awesome! You guys have an early season; was this a pay farm or wild?
    A paid hunting preserve. They raise the birds and release them regularly, so you are not hunting just released birds, or birds that have been pre-positioned ahead of time.

Our regular season does not come in until November 12th, and the daily bag limit is 6, unless on a preserve, which can set its own limit. Without a trained dog, its a tough go on your own. I spend a lot of hours in the field every year on Grouse without a dog, and it is pretty tough going. I can't imagine trying to hunt Quail without a dog.

Thanks for the report, quail hunting is such fun. It brought back good memories...
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Links