Ohio members, do you think they are all in season?

This is a discussion on Ohio members, do you think they are all in season? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just saw this on the news: Exotic animals loose in Muskingum County; animals' owner found dead | The Columbus Dispatch ZANESVILLE, Ohio Dozens of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ohio members, do you think they are all in season?

Ohio members, do you think they are all in season?

Just saw this on the news: Exotic animals loose in Muskingum County; animals' owner found dead | The Columbus Dispatch

ZANESVILLE, Ohio Dozens of exotic animals from bears to lions to wolves - were running loose in Muskingum County today, apparently set free from their cages.
    Semi-serious, do you think they are all in season? According to the county sheriff, he has deputies with "assault rifles" out there, shooting most of them they can find. Hopefully they can contain this and keep the animals away from the general public. But if I lived up that way, I'd consider something more than a pocket .380.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Considering the danger the animals present I think it will be open season on them just for public safety.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Considering the danger the animals present I think it will be open season on them just for public safety.
    Sad, but this is what you have to do given the situation.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Administrator
    I'm a hunter and have no problem killing things... but I'm not so sure I could kill a semi domesticated critter just because some dingle berry let it out of its cage.
    "Just blame Sixto"

We had an African Lion loose in town once. No need to shoot it. When they finally found it, they rolled up in a truck with a cage on the back, and the lion just climbed right up and into the cage.

No need necessarily to shoot them, just get some people that are experienced with handling / dealing with them. Most have lived caged lives and won't exhibit the same behavior as if they were raised "in the wild" .

Have they heard of tranquilizer guns ? Wildlife folks here have them easily accessible.

I would be WAY more concerned with officers out there shooting away. I called 911 once because of several "shots fired" nearby. 911 operator called me back to tell me the Police were trying to shoot a skunk. After 200 ++ rounds fired (1 block from me) and 45 min I called 911 back and asked them if the Police wanted me to come down and shoot the skunk for them, because "obviously" they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and I was more concerned about them watching where they were sending bullets.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

the police have orders to shoot on sight with all of these... like it or not...

VIP Member
    Roadtrip!
    Stubborn likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I feel sorry for the animals! They never should have been kept under those conditions anyway, and it is a shame that they have to be shot because they are now running free and pose a danger to society. It wouldn't surprise me if some nutcase animal rights activist let them loose thinking he/she was "helping" them, when in fact their actions will have caused the death of many, if not most, of the animals! Wild animals belong in the wild or in some cases, a properly run zoo! NOT in some private wacko's "animal farm"!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    ...It wouldn't surprise me if some nutcase animal rights activist let them loose thinking he/she was "helping" them, when in fact their actions will have caused the death of many, if not most, of the animals!....
    This sounds like PETA's modus operandi. My sister runs a Greyhound rescue and has horror stories of these idiots showing up at dog shows and letting animals out of their cages so they can be "set free". The dogs run out into the street, get run over, or simply get lost and become strays. It is truly heart-breaking.

VIP Member
    They are saying now that the owner freed the animals then commited suicide.

ZANESVILLE, Ohio (AP) — Townspeople hid indoors Wednesday as deputies with high-powered rifles hunted down and killed lions, bears, tigers and dozens of other exotic beasts that escaped from a wild-animal park after the owner threw their cages open and committed suicide.

After an all-night hunt that extended into the afternoon, nearly all of the 50 or so escaped animals had been either gunned down or captured alive, authorities said. As of midafternoon, the only animals still on the loose were a wolf and a monkey, according to the sheriff's office.
    EarthLink - Top News
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Sad.....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Administrator
    I hate senseless killing of animals but, they really had no other option.

They are just burying those animals on the property. What a waste.
    You know if I lived in OHIO I would have asked the Wife for permission to skin those lions and tigers.

They shot (I think) 18 Tigers and 11 lions + 2 Leopard

Tiger Skin Rugs = 5 Grand Each - Lion Skin Rugs = Aprox. 2 Grand Each...Nice Lion Canine Teeth $100.00 each...Canine Tiger Teeth...More than that.

Too Late Now.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter

Too Late Now.
    I have a shovel. Using your numbers thats 112k for the skins alone- I might even spring for a bobcat rental.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    There is one monkey still running around that they need to shoot because it is infected with Herpes. Why don't they shoot it with a dart loaded with VALTREX?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    There is one monkey still running around that they need to shoot because it is infected with Herpes. Why don't they shoot it with a dart loaded with VALTREX?
    Nope, one of the cheetahs ate the monkey they determined.

While I don't think needlessly slaughtering animals is a good thing, I think that in this case it was a public safety concern. It happened approaching dark, with a lot of large and dangerous animals running around, some of which appeared to be eating the owner (he tied chicken parts to himself to try and entice the animals).

I keep hearing people say (not on here neccessarily), why didn't they shoot them with a tranquilizer gun? I'm no expert, but I would think a grizzly bear would take a different dose than a lion, which would take a different dose than a cheetah. So then it endangers officers because they need to be able to select the right choice for the right animal. All the while trying to maintain containment (it's not like Zanesville is a bustling burg with a massive police force.)

So personally, I think the sheriff and his men were placed in a bad position, and made the right call for the safety of the public.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links