Tolerance of other people - Page 2

Tolerance of other people

This is a discussion on Tolerance of other people within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by atctimmy Sir, with respect, you don't know what you are talking about. Take the time to do some research before you post ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Tolerance of other people

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Sir, with respect, you don't know what you are talking about. Take the time to do some research before you post again about Islam.
    I do know what I'm talking about. I know several Muslims and have talked to them about their faith, and have even visited a Mosque. I am not Muslim by and stretch, but I'm pretty open minded and listen to what others have to say.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I do know what I'm talking about. I know several Muslims and have talked to them about their faith, and have even visited a Mosque. I am not Muslim by and stretch, but I'm pretty open minded and listen to what others have to say.
    OK. You don't need to believe me.

I think, just as an academic exercise, you should ask your friends what an infidel is. Then ask them what Islam says about how to treat infidels.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

atc,

you have a point... but in this country, we have the First Amendment.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ..."

I realize that that puts no restraints on the regulation of religion or it's edifices by local government entities.

I actually have little problem with a mosque at ground zero... but I really like the ideas presented in the humor posted by the OP.

When, however, any one (whether using their religion as an excuse or not), decides to trample upon my rights to life and liberty, I have the right to defend myself against same, and will do so.

But the heartless, tasteless, foolish, annoying, and just plain stupid placement of a building is not going to raise my ire. Let them build it... see how long it lasts.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Administrator
    This thread is now walking a fine line, be cautious and mindful of the rules.

Carry on
    "Just blame Sixto"

So, will "You Mecca Me Hot" have 72 dancers on stage at all times?
    atctimmy and thephanatik like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    So, will "You Mecca Me Hot" have 72 dancers on stage at all times?
    Will they be Virginians?
    Dadsnugun and thephanatik like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I think, just as an academic exercise, you should ask your friends what an infidel is. Then ask them what Islam says about how to treat infidels.
    Here's how I see it. People are going to do whatever they want. If people hate Americans, they will find an excuse to kill them. If people hate Jews, they will find an excuse to kill them. Lets face it, lots of people in the Middle East hate Americans, or more specifically the Western world of which the USA is the icon of the Western world. Lets do a little mental exercise. Lets imagine that all of the people in the Middle East were Christians instead of Muslims. They would still hate us (for a long list of reasons I'm not going to bother posting) and they'd still try to kill us and they'd just use scriptures from the Bible to justify their actions instead. After all there are plenty of stories in the Bible, specifically the old testament, where God commanded his followers to wage war and rape and pillage.

I blame the problem on these issues, rather than Islam itself:
    • A select few religious leaders who teach hate and violence, often as a way of taking people's attention off of the real issues and keeping themselves in power.
    • poverty - it gives people a reason to hate and little to lose if they act on it
    • Lack of education - unbiased access to information will set people free.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Yeah, they seem to be pretty intolerant of those who don't believe as they do according to the Koran or Quran. Personally, I think they probably just plagarized the 13th chapter of Deuteronomy.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

The mosque that was built at or near ground zero is new. There was a Greek Orthodox church that was at or near ground zero which was destroyed during 911 and that has not been rebuilt and may not due to politics. I have a problem with that...

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Will they be Virginians?
    West Virginians!
    shooterX likes this.

West Virginians!
    Really, really mad and armed to the teeth West Virginians!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Lack of education
    I will keep my reply brief so that we stay within forum rules: Islam is not just a religion. It is a political, religious, legal and socioeconomic system. Islam is a total way of life, not just going to church every now and then. It is completely foreign to our way of thinking and it is hard for us as Americans to understand a cultural paradigm so different from our own.

I suggest to everyone reading this that you educate yourself as it pertains to the subject matter at hand in this thread.
    Doodle likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    West Virginians!
    West "by God" Virginians.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Really, really mad and armed to the teeth West Virginians!
    They come with teeth?
    atctimmy and thephanatik like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    They come with teeth?
    Armed to the tooth would probably have been more accurate.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links