Harold Camping Revises Apocalypse Prediction For Friday

This is a discussion on Harold Camping Revises Apocalypse Prediction For Friday within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Harold Camping Revises Apocalypse Prediction For Friday He's at it again; Remember earlier this year when the world didn't end? Like every other doomsday prophecy ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Harold Camping Revises Apocalypse Prediction For Friday

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

He's at it again;

Remember earlier this year when the world didn't end?

Like every other doomsday prophecy throughout history, the May 21st rapture promised by Oakland-based Family Radio network owner Harold Camping never materialized. The 90-year-old, self-styled prophet now claims the world will end by this Friday and not with a bang, as previously predicted, but rather with a whimper.

"The end is going to come very, very quietly probably within the next month...by October 21st," said Camping in a radio address delivered earlier this month.

Anyone that has ever read the Bible knows (Matthew) that Jesus himself didn't even know when the "end times" would arrive. Only the Father in Heaven knows that.

This guy is a idiot!!!

VIP Member
    I predict the sun will rise in the east and set in the west on Friday.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I predict Friday{more commonly known as PAYDAY!) I will hit a Chinese buffet for lunch...I know the owner is very scared!
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

And I had a motocycle ride scheduled for Saturday!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    And I had a motocycle ride scheduled for Saturday!
    Don't fill up yet!

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Fundies are so entertaining!

It is hard to imagine that anyone pays any attention to this guy. Lets see, I think this is his 3rd or 4th attempt to predict the end of the world. There have been others who have also attempted to predict it. Anyone who does is setting themselves up for a massive let-down.

Even Y2K was a huge let down. I knew plenty of people who were convinced we were going to be without electricity and running water. They were convinced the banks would collapse, the economy would collapse, and everyone would have to flee to the hills to survive. I took very little notice of them, and just kept on living life as usual. Being in the computer field, I knew they were full of bull and had watched too many movies. So many people believe that computers control everything. However, for the types of disruptions people expected, they believed computers could cause all of the power plants to stop making power, all of the traffic lights to fail, all of the water valves to close and the pumps to shut down, etc. None of these things are controlled by computers and even if they were, there would be manual overrides. I knew the banks had already taken Y2K into account and addressed any database issues. And guess what? I got up on January 1st, 2000 and went about my daily life free of incident.

I just don't take doomsayers very seriously. I think in most cases they have self-serving reasons for their predictions.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Doomsday, the apocalypse end days or whatever you want to call it will never happen. The blank may hit the fan but the world will never come to an end.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Doomsday, the apocalypse end days or whatever you want to call it will never happen. The blank may hit the fan but the world will never come to an end.
    Oh it's going to end. It just won't be for several billion years, when the sun goes red giant and incinerates Earth. I seriously doubt we'll be around given the gauntlet of various extinction events we'll have to dodge, never mind doing ourselves in.
    rammerjammer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    I predict Friday{more commonly known as PAYDAY!) I will hit a Chinese buffet for lunch...I know the owner is very scared!
    "You go NOW, You Been Here Four Hour!!!"
    FW21

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    It is hard to imagine that anyone pays any attention to this guy. Lets see, I think this is his 3rd or 4th attempt to predict the end of the world. There have been others who have also attempted to predict it. Anyone who does is setting themselves up for a massive let-down.

Even Y2K was a huge let down. I knew plenty of people who were convinced we were going to be without electricity and running water. They were convinced the banks would collapse, the economy would collapse, and everyone would have to flee to the hills to survive. I took very little notice of them, and just kept on living life as usual. Being in the computer field, I knew they were full of bull and had watched too many movies. So many people believe that computers control everything. However, for the types of disruptions people expected, they believed computers could cause all of the power plants to stop making power, all of the traffic lights to fail, all of the water valves to close and the pumps to shut down, etc. None of these things are controlled by computers and even if they were, there would be manual overrides. I knew the banks had already taken Y2K into account and addressed any database issues. And guess what? I got up on January 1st, 2000 and went about my daily life free of incident.

I just don't take doomsayers very seriously. I think in most cases they have self-serving reasons for their predictions.

I predicted that Y2K would be nothing. That not even one plane would fall from the sky.
    But, I predict now that we're in for bad times ahead.

Don't get trapped by "Normalcy Bias"

The normalcy bias causes smart people to underestimate the possibility of a disaster and its effects. In short: People believe that since something has never happened before... it never will. We are all guilty of it... it's just human nature.

The normalcy bias also makes people unable to deal with a disaster, once it has occurred. Basically... people have a really hard time preparing for and dealing with something they have never experienced.

The normalcy bias often results in unnecessary deaths in disaster situations. For example, think about the Jewish populations of World War II...

As Barton Biggs reports in his book, Wealth, War, and Wisdom: "By the end of 1935, 100,000 Jews had left Germany, but 450,000 still [remained]. Wealthy Jewish families... kept thinking and hoping that the worst was over...

Many of the German Jews, brilliant, cultured, and cosmopolitan as they were, were too complacent. They had been in Germany so long and were so well established, they simply couldn't believe there was going to be a crisis that would endanger them. They were too comfortable. They believed the Nazi's anti-Semitism was an episodic event and that Hitler's bark was worse than his bite. [They] reacted sluggishly to the rise of Hitler for completely understandable but tragically erroneous reasons. Events moved much faster than they could imagine." This is one of the most tragic examples of the devastating effects of the "normalcy bias" the world has ever seen.

Just think about what was going on at the time. Jews were arrested, beaten, taxed, robbed, and jailed for no reason other than the fact that they practiced a particular religion. As a result, they were shipped off to concentration camps. Their houses and businesses were seized.

Yet most Jews STILL didn't leave Nazi Germany, because they simply couldn't believe that things would get as bad as they did. That's the normalcy bias... with devastating results.

We saw the same thing happen during Hurricane Katrina...

Even as it became clear that the levee system was not going to work, tens of thousands of people stayed in their homes, directly in the line of the oncoming waves of water.

People had never seen things get this bad before... so they simply didn't believe it could happen. As a result, nearly 2,000 residents died.

Again... it's the "normalcy bias."

We simply refuse to see the evidence that's right in front of our face, because it is unlike anything we have experienced before.

The normalcy bias kicks in... and we continue to go about our lives as if nothing is unusual or out of the ordinary.

Well, we're seeing the same thing happen in the United States right now. We have been the world's most powerful country for nearly 100 years. The U.S. dollar has reigned supreme as the world's reserve currency for more than 50 years.

Most of us in America simply cannot fathom these things changing. But I promise you this: Things are changing... and faster than most people realize.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I thought it was Jan 20,2009
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    The thing that troubles me most is people associating this man with Christianity.
    RoadKill likes this.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

This guy is dead wrong as nut cases usually are.

The Maya firmly have predicted the end comming soon to your community on

December 21, 2012.

I also believe in the Tooth Fairy, Global Warming and me winning the West Virginia lottery today.
    rammerjammer likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links