Archery hunters / shooters, who has introduced their son / daughter?

This is a discussion on Archery hunters / shooters, who has introduced their son / daughter? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hello, I gave my son a bow for Christmas last year, the kind with the suction cups on the ends of the arrows. It was ...

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

Hello,

I gave my son a bow for Christmas last year, the kind with the suction cups on the ends of the arrows. It was intended to see if he was interested in learning before we sunk a bunch of money into a real bow for him. I did the same with a couple air-soft pistols for him. we break either one out when he asks. This keeps it going at his pace and interest level. This also allows me to work on safety and proper handling before getting the "real" thing so he knows how to be safe, and we don't waste a lot of money on yet another something we doesn't use.

After dusting off my bow for this season, he has expressed an interest and wants to learn how to shoot a real bow. There are a ton of youth bows out there, do any of you have experience with them? He is up to the point of using the sights on his air-soft pistols, so I figured I should get a bow with sights, that limits the selection somewhat. He just turned 8 and is stronger than Hercules himself if asked, I'd say he's about average to a little on the smaller size for his age.

Any experience?

Suggestions?

Things that really worked or didn't?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Been taking my 9 year old son out plinking with the 22 rifles. Waiting for a hunters safety course to open up and get him enrolled. He does pretty well, listens and pays attention. He would love to go hunting some time soon. I'm in your boat, would love to hear from others with past experience.
    Ruger Redhawk .44 4"
    S&W 686 .357 2.5"
    S&W 649 .357 2.5"
    XDm .45 3.8"

Mine are grown, but I generally let them find their own interests and support them with whatever it is. I really don't have any other advice than that.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Sponsor
    I started My kids out with a Bear youth/beginner setup similar to this one. It is not what I would call high quality but it is a definite step up from suction cups at a reasonable price.

Unfortunately none of them kept at it. Although my oldest has just asked if I had any archery gear that she could have to get back into it.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I would get at least the leagal weight limit for hunting 45lb, You can allways lower the weigt pull till he's strong enoughfto pull full weight of bow. JMO ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

It might be a long time before an eight year old can pull a 45# bow. In addition the length might be too long for him.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I was right where you are a few years ago. My daughter showed interest while I was shooting my bow. We started with the super-cheap fiberglass bow that you pick up at WalMart. Hey, it was a start! I just wanted to see how much interest was there. She actually wanted to shoot every time I did. It was really hard for her because she is a perfectionist, she could try and try but there wasn't enough quality there to get consistency. She could practice and practice and not really see improvement.

Here's my first big step and I don't have any regrets, we bought her a Mathews Genesis bow in camo. You can pick these up used for $100-150, kids don't usually have them too long and generally they will be in pretty good shape. They have cams like a real compound bow but there is no let-off so essentially they are a fancy recurve. Here's the benefits, you can adjust the draw weight down to 10 lbs and since there is no let-off, there is no set draw length. Excellent youth bow, they are tapped for all the toys, over time I equipped it with a whisker biscuit, fiber sights, release, etc. 10 yards was the limit for this bow, but man, you could really get consistency out of it. It helped her learn good habits and it made it fun for her to go shoot with me. We would "compete" with her shooting 10 yards and me 30. We had a blast!

Here's another benefit, since there's no draw length, she can set the bow down and anyone can easily pick it up and shoot. She shot this bow for two years, and yes, I took her hunting with it. Now I fully expect a bunch of replies beating me up about the fact that I let her do this. Let me explain, she never took a deer with this bow. I explained what we would need in order for her to take a shot and she was ok with this. We hunted from a ground blind and I said 10 yards was the absolute limit. In two years of hunting we had tons of great experiences, lots of great talks, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. She had one shot at a doe, just one.

Not to sound like a bragging Dad, but this kid can shoot! She would shoot that bow and at 10 yards be deadly accurate every time. I equipped her arrows with cut on contact broadheads and she took that 10 yard shot. Missed. I was and am still proud. She didn't know what happened! I said, "You missed" and she looked at me and with stone-cold seriousness and she said......"I don't miss"..... It was awesome, I said "Well, we all miss from time to time, and you just took your first shot at a real animal". I explained how she learned more in that 20 seconds than I could have taught her in 2 years of shooting at targets. I have no regrets and I would let a kid hunt with that bow for the experience alone, as long as you know the limits, teach them the limits, and teach them the ethics of why you make these decisions.

She worked her way up to where we had the bow tightened all the way up, I think 35 lbs (I didn't let her hunt with the bow until it was tightened down all the way). It was time for an upgrade, last spring I bought her a new Bear bow package for youth and women. I am having a hard time remembering the model and specs but it's an excellent bow. I paid around $300 and all I had to add was broadheads. She picked it up and immediately loved it, especially the 80% let-off. Now she can make a 20 yard shot with excellent accuracy and we are working on her 30 yard pin. The bow is capable of a 30 yard shot but we just need to do a little more shooting with it. A cool feature of this bow is that you can adjust the draw length without having to put it in a bow press, a hex wrench and you do it right at home.

We are going bow hunting this weekend, and I can't wait for her to get her first deer. Sorry I just dumped all this info, PM me if I can be any help.

I tried to interest my kids in archery, but only my youngest daughter showed any interest. I bought her a Browning Micro Midas. She shot quite a bit and still has the bow, but doesn't shoot anymore.

That was several years ago. There are new bows that allow for more variance in the draw length and weight than the Midas did then.

Links