Star Trek Humor. A true story.

This is a discussion on Star Trek Humor. A true story. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Several years ago I was home with my youngest daughter. She was about 12 or 13 at the time. We had just finished watching an ...

Thread: Star Trek Humor. A true story.

Star Trek Humor. A true story.

Several years ago I was home with my youngest daughter. She was about 12 or 13 at the time. We had just finished watching an episode of Star Trek Voyager. It was about a battle an alien race had undergone years ago.

Because it was so long ago, some of the details escape me, but at the show's end, the crew built a monument to the alien people. One of the final scenes showed the monument, a large grassy hill behind, and snow covered mountains in the background.

My daughter, with a very straight face, said, "Dad, you can tell that they filmed this on Earth."

I couldn't help it, I tried not to, but I had to laugh.

2. Remove Ads

Awful smart for a kid her age.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by steelhawk View Post
    Because it was so long ago, some of the details escape me, but at the show's end, the crew built a monument to the alien people.
    Refreshing your memory (yes, I'm a Trekkie!).. The alien race actually built the monument, it was a mechanism that played out the battle your talking about in the Voyager crews mind. They surmised it was left there to tell the alien races story, as well as to teach a lesson to those that encountered it. The Voyager crew repaired, and recharged the monument so that it could continue it's original purpose.

And I laughed about your daughters comments also :)
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

VIP Member
    Now that is priceless.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Sometimes kids can get so into the plot, they lose touch with reality for a moment. Intelligent kids, like your's make humorous comments, like hers. Stupid kids think everything they watch on the idiot box is real. That's part of today's problem's. I remember when TV's first came out. They held so much promise. Just like computers, a vast wasteland!

Distinguished Member
    Gotta love it. "Out of the mouth of babes!"
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Quote Originally Posted by steelhawk View Post

My daughter, with a very straight face, said, "Dad, you can tell that they filmed this on Earth."

I couldn't help it, I tried not to, but I had to laugh.
    OK.. Help me out here. Was it funny because she was originally thinking it had been filmed on an alien planet or something? Why were the mountains with snow a giveaway? I'm not sure why anyone would think mountains with snow caps would only exist on Earth. There are likely millions if not billions of earth-like planets out there which would probably have mountains and snow caps on them.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

She actually thought the show was real and they were supposed to be in space
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links