This is making me sick to my freaking Stomach -- About our Dec of Indep.>> OMG - Page 2

This is making me sick to my freaking Stomach -- About our Dec of Indep.>> OMG

This is a discussion on This is making me sick to my freaking Stomach -- About our Dec of Indep.>> OMG within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; That which is legal isn't always right. That which is right isn't always legal. Similarly, to a dog's master, the dog is always on the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: This is making me sick to my freaking Stomach -- About our Dec of Indep.>> OMG

That which is legal isn't always right.

That which is right isn't always legal.

Similarly, to a dog's master, the dog is always on the 'wrong' side of the door. The dog, however, sees it differently. It's all a matter of perspective.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    We were being taxed to protect us from the French, yet did not the French assist us in winning our independence?
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    This was staged as a debate between some British Barristers and some American Lawyers. Nothing more than a debating exercise. You may relax.

Read about the debate at the Link below:
    Is the Declaration of Independence Illegal?
    You beat me to it.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Of course it was illegal-- that's why the shooting started. They lost. Bye bye.
    And that they were in Lexington to confiscate the arms to prevent us from fighting. Something we all should keep in mind. The first military action of the Revolution was an attempt to disarm the militia.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    He likes being able to disagree with us and tell us that we're full of beans as an American citizen and not as a British subject.
    And I'll defend his right to do so to to the death.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    OK folks, lets turn this one on its head. Thinking of the, as their are frequently called here, "Get a job you lazy bum, protestors": are they all that different than what the founding fathers and is what they are doing all the different from what the revolutionaries did? Are they viewed by their opposition any differently than the British loyalists viewed the American revolutionaries?
    Hopyard likes this.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    OK folks, lets turn this one on its head. Thinking of the, as their are frequently called here, "Get a job you lazy bum, protestors": are they all that different than what the founding fathers and is what they are doing all the different from what the revolutionaries did? Are they viewed by their opposition any differently than the British loyalists viewed the American revolutionaries?
    Yes, they are very different! And that's all I have to say about that.

OK there is more, in a overly simplistic view the Founders wanted a new self governing nation; the occupiers only want more from the existing government; specifically, they want redistribution of wealth.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It doesnt matter what they think.

They lost.

We won...our freedom.

The rest is history.
    Just my 2 cents - hope you don't mind!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

VIP Member
    Why worry about what the sore loser thinks? Their biggest problem is they view it as the start of the fall of the British Empire. Yes, they continued to rule parts of the world for many more years, but they realized their strangle hold on the peasants was slipping.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Without getting to far involved in the "flea party" debate... I don't understand... they seem to want the wealthy of this country to give them more of what the wealthy have...

...and they do so while camping out in tents that cost more than the annual income of the truly poor...

... I don't see the "flea partiers" redistributing any of their wealth... just complaining about those with more than them.
    Tzadik likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Two sides to everything. Read "Liberty's Exiles" Maya Jasanoff.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    I think you're taking it out of context vs. flipping it on it's head.

To compare these lame, lazy hippies that don't pay any taxes, to our over-achiever founding fathers is ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Two sides to everything. Read "Liberty's Exiles" Maya Jasanoff.
    In this case the two sides were debating teams and the event was just a contest. Since the matter debated is one over two centuries old any points scored by either team are moot anyway. The two teams probably had some drinks and some laughs together afterward. I see it as an interesting debate, like a sporting event, and I see no need for us to be "sick to our freakin' stomachs" as suggested in the original post over something meant to be an entertaining farce.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    In this case the two sides were debating teams and the event was just a contest. Since the matter debated is one over two centuries old any points scored by either team are moot anyway. The two teams probably had some drinks and some laughs together afterward. I see it as an interesting debate, like a sporting event, and I see no need for us to be "sick to our freakin' stomachs" as suggested in the original post over something meant to be an entertaining farce.
    I wasn't talking about debating teams. We had one view of the British occupation (our founder's view) but the Brits and huge numbers of loyalists had a completely different view. History is what it is, but we glamorize things more than we should.

Be under no illusion. What our founders did was illegal under British law; and the English were within their rights to use armed force to put down rebellion. They failed. Good for us. But there were two sides.

Remember that from 1621 to around 1776 Parliament was the undisputed government over Anglo North America.

Had you asked Ben Franklin in 1750 if he held allegiance to The King he would have been dumbfounded at the stupidity of your question.
    oakchas, wmhawth and Tzadik like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Well I personally feel it is about time that someone (who will remain nameless) should apologize to the Brits for what we did.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links