This is making me sick to my freaking Stomach -- About our Dec of Indep.>> OMG

This is a discussion on This is making me sick to my freaking Stomach -- About our Dec of Indep.>> OMG within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Read this crap. This is making me utterly disgusted. I would have and still will take a bullet to defend that document regardless of what ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: This is making me sick to my freaking Stomach -- About our Dec of Indep.>> OMG

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar

Read this crap.

This is making me utterly disgusted. I would have and still will take a bullet to defend that document regardless of what anyone thinks. And the sad part is that so many Americans would believe this to be true also.

Called the Declaration of Independence, it was a blow for freedom, a call to war, and the founding of a new empire.

It was also totally illegitimate and illegal.

At least, that was what lawyers from the UK argued during a debate at Philadelphia's Ben Franklin Hall.

BBC News - Is the US Declaration of Independence illegal?
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Senior Moderator
    It doesnt matter what they think.

They lost.

We won.

The rest is history.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Well, let's see them try to do anything about it...... It doesn't matter, because ..... "some" of ancestors settled it all when they won the war.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Of course it was illegal-- that's why the shooting started. They lost. Bye bye.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Administrator
    Do we really have to go through this all over again?
    Can we look forward to yet another war with Great Britain?
    And just what are the Brit people going to fight us with this time 'round?
    Their Home Defense Aluminum baseball bats...of course.

Their (British Lawyer's) argument doesn't hold water either... Yes, Lincoln spoke against secession... Had the South won, his argument would have been moot.

We did win. Was it "Treasonous?" Probably. Was it illegal? Probably. Was it illegitimate? Subjective.

Could the "patriots" of the revolution have been called terrorists? Probably today, yes.

If Texas were to claim the right of secession, and could back it up by force of arms, and won a war against the rest of the US, then Texas would again be a Republic unto itself.

Nothing in the article sickens me. It's reasonably factual...

If our government today, forced us to give up what we think to be unalienable rights, become subjects to it, and did some other equaly heinous things, could we revolt? Sure... Would it be legal? Probably not. Would it matter if "We the People" won? No, it would mean we won.
    Bkrazy likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Oh, and....

HISTORY IS WRITTEN BY THE WINNERS....
    AND WON'T BE CHANGED BY THE WHINERS!
    Rock and Glock, atctimmy and RMS like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Wow, I totally agree with Hopyard on a quazi-political issue; that might be a first on this forum. I will add that is why the Founders mutually pledged their: lives, Fortunes, and sacred Honor. They knew, if they did not win, that they would be executed and their families' would be destitute. I also think the use of Fortunes was not completely in reference to wealth but also in the sense of their individual futures'.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

When we settled here, we were part of the British Crown. They had the legal right to tax our goods. As far as the British were concerned, what we did was illegal. And they did call our founding fathers terrorists, and if any of them were captured they would have been executed.

Of those 56 who signed the Declaration of Independence, nine died of wounds or hardships during the war. Five were captured and imprisoned, in each case with brutal treatment. Several lost wives, sons or entire families. One lost his 13 children. Two wives were brutally treated. All were at one time or another the victims of manhunts and driven from their homes. Twelve signers had their homes completely burned. Seventeen lost everything they owned. Yet not one defected or went back on his pledged word. Their honor, and the nation they sacrificed so much to create, is still intact.

The Fate of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence
    Had we had lost the war, all of them would have been rounded up and tried for treason. We won, and thus our Declaration of Independence stood and we became for the first time, a new sovereign nation unto our own.

But the signatories of the Declaration were still hunted and their fortunes pillaged. Most died poor and mourned the loss of their wives and children who did not survive.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    Are you SURE that you don't want to rethink your answer Hopyard?

Rock and Glock likes this.

The Declaration explains why British rule itself was illegitimate and explains what proper Government should be.

It explains why there was no recourse but to commit treason to address the injustice that existed.

Illegal... yes, but only if you agree to the premise that British Rule was legal.
    Bark'n likes this.

Administrator
    It's legal now. Americans clinging to their guns and religion made it so.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Who is this really? And how are you posting as Hopyard?

This was staged as a debate between some British Barristers and some American Lawyers. Nothing more than a debating exercise. You may relax.

Read about the debate at the Link below:
    Is the Declaration of Independence Illegal?
    jumpwing likes this.

Administrator
    He likes being able to disagree with us and tell us that we're full of beans as an American citizen and not as a British subject.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Who is this really? And how are you posting as Hopyard?
    bbqgrill likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links