UN Resolution has Passed

UN Resolution has Passed

This is a discussion on UN Resolution has Passed within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok, so I really dont start a lot of Political threads, but this one has me beating my head against the wall! So just seen ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

UN Resolution has Passed

Ok, so I really dont start a lot of Political threads, but this one has me beating my head against the wall!

So just seen that the UN Unanimously passed a resolution for Isreal and Hezbollah to Cease Fire. I read all of the resolution and in the first paragraph it says "PP2. Expressing its utmost concern at the continuing escalation of hostilities in Lebanon and in Israel since Hezbollah's attack on Israel on 12 July 2006, which has already caused hundreds of deaths and injuries on both sides, extensive damage to civilian infrastructure and hundreds of thousands of internally displaced persons,"

So let me get this straight. The UN admits in their resolution that Hezbollah attacked Israel, and Captured 2 of their soldiers. Israel has every ground to protect itself and get their troops back correct? This I believe to be true

So, why did the USA and France of all countries agree on the wording of the resolution? Why is the US telling Israel that this war MUST STOP? Remember the deadline that was put on Israel 10days and the war must be over?

First, I voted for Bush twice, I also agree with the war in Iraq and the war on Terrorism, but who are we(or anyone else for that matter) to tell Israel they must stop their war against Hezbollah(and Lebanon)??????
    What country has stepped up and told the USA, "oh you have to stop this war with Iraq and the war on terrorism, you have such and such time and it must be done"?????? NOBODY

What gives us the right to do this to Israel? Israel is its own country and has a right to defend herself, just like we do. We dont ask for anyones permission, why should they?

This all has me pounding my head against the wall......it sort of sounds like Israel and USA might go head to head if they are not carefull. I dont care what anyone says, when a terrorist group inside of a country( and supported by that country and others, "syra, and iran") attacks another country and takes hostages it is WAR. War on that country and war on Terrorism. By the way, since when did we start negotiating with Terrorists? By telling Israel to stop, is that not negotiating with the terrorist in a since? I believe it is.

Now Israel and Lebanon have both agreed on the cease fire arrangements, but hezbollah has not decided if they abide by it.

GO ISRAEL!!!!! Destroy Terrorism and everyone that supports it! and the USA of all countries should be supporting them 110%

ok, so my rant is done, am I the only one out on a limb here or are there others that feel the same way?

Eric
    Eric

There were NO Guns used to take over the flights on 9-11, IT STILL HAPPENED

Wake up Americans - GUN CONTROL - Means WE LOOSE

Senior Moderator
    What gives us the right to do this to Israel? Israel is its own country and has a right to defend herself, just like we do. We dont ask for anyones permission, why should they?
    I agree that it sets a dangerous precedent.

I have stated repeatedly on this board and others that the U.N. is only as powerful or revelent as our Presidents,Congressmen and Senators make it.

TO "allow" the U.N. to make a resoultion, treaty, precedence,proclamation or whatever they want to call only serves to erode national sovereinty.

I cant beleive that Israel even allows it to be so. The U.N is so consistently anti-Israel in all that it does that it just amazes me that they even acknowledge the U.N. as a viable mouthpiece.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Yes, glockman! Why are we treating with or legitimizing terrorists?
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Quote Originally Posted by glockman31
    Why is the US telling Israel that this war MUST STOP?
    Because only WE can kill people. We want all the fun. We want to go over there and eliminate Hez and get paybacks for what happened in 1983. Lots of people forget the Hez has killed more Americans than any other terrorist organization, except Al Quida or however you spell it. They have been killing Americans since 1983 and they won't stop unless we stop them. The more Hez Israel kills the less we have to.

What I think is going to happen is this: (sorry for the redundant use of "then")

There will be this resolution. They will stop.

Then some Hez is going to launch another missile because they are bored.

Then the UN is going to tap us on the shoulder and say "Hey, USA, you should do something about that".

Then we will go over there (as well) and kick some Hez butt. Then the UN is going to tap us on the shoulder again and say "Hey, you're not supposed to kick them when they are down. That is just mean. Then all the pansy nations, Germany, France, UK, etc will all tell us that we are bad, bad people and we should stop it.

I agree we should back off and let Israel handle business.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

It's the first thing in a long, long time that I've seen from the international "community" that recognizes the Lebanese gov't as distinctly different from the Hezbullies. It would be nice to see their gov't get its running legs, enough to withstand Syrian and Hezb influence. Not bloody likely, but nice. We'll see.

I do not agree that an unmonitored war without limits is kosher in that spot of the world. There's nothing so all-consuming as a religious holy war (a la Crusades). At the scale of all muslim/arab nations against a nuke-wielding country that feels it's on righteous ground, combined with the world powers having taken sides (economic, otherwise) ... that's a recipe for WW3 and nuclear exchanges. I'm relieved the U.N. came down with a measure that has a chance of success. Hopefuly the chutzpah that reigned during negotiations can remain during implementation. One can only hope. Else ...

That said, IMO any country does indeed have the right to self defense against continued terrorist bombings. 10:1 response seems a bit harsh on the surface, but not after nearly a decade of such things. I hope Israel's response has the desired effect. (Doesn't seem to, if the effect is impact on Hezb's ability to fire rockets and commit suicide troops.)

Now, for the long run, it's required to resolve the question of Palestine. It does exist. It's a nation with a displaced people, based on the 1947-48 whim of the world's chief nations. It needs resolution. But it can't happen in a climate of tit-for-tat responses over generations. That has gone nowhere, merely polarizing the sides. Israeli people have a right to exist. But so do the people of Palestine. So long as that's not on the table for negotiations and actual resolution; so long as Israel must be pushed into the sea and the people of Palestine are treated as non-human with non-rights: this canker of a problem will only get worse.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; August 12th, 2006 at 02:49 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Too much is never enough when it comes to the Ishmaelite opinion of Israel "occupation".....
    Their actions repeatedly proven it....
    In my view, Israel still hasn't complete possession of their birthright and should be allowed to persue it to completion....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

VIP Member
    Before we get too worked up over this, I suggest that each of you read the resolution.

http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs//2006/sc8808.doc.htm

The text of the resolution starts after the news story.

I recommend that you read the following very carefully. This is the first paragraph stating what the resolution calls for.

1. Calls for a full cessation of hostilities based upon, in particular, the immediate cessation by Hizbollah of all attacks and the immediate cessation by Israel of all offensive military operations;
    Please note the following: 1) The U.N. Security Council resolution calls upon Hizbollah to stop all attacks. 2) It asks Israel to cease OFFENSIVE MILITARY OPERATIONS. The resolution does not in any way call for Israel to stop fighting in defense of her territory, nor to do anything that undermines her sovereignty.

Glockman31, it appears from reading the text of the resolution that Israel's right to defend herself has been supported. The UN nor the US has done anything to Israel in this resolution. The resolution has called on Hizbollah to stop ALL attacks and on Israel to stop OFFENSIVE MILITARY OPERATIONS. I also note that Israel has approved the resolution. It seems that the reaction that some have had to the resolution does not coincide with the one Israel herself has had.

I am a staunch supporter of Israel and keep up with happenings there. I fully support her right to defend herself and to ignore UN resolutions that condemn her, attempt to reduce her sovereignty over her territory, or that might endanger the welfare of the nation and/or her people. From my reading of this resolution it does none of those things. Based on Israel's action approving the resolution it appears she sees none of these things either.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    am a staunch supporter of Israel and keep up with happenings there. I fully support her right to defend herself and to ignore UN resolutions that condemn her, attempt to reduce her sovereignty over her territory, or that might endanger the welfare of the nation and/or her people. From my reading of this resolution it does none of those things. Based on Israel's action approving the resolution it appears she sees none of these things either.
    That just goes to show that Israel is not interested in doing anything other than protecting itself.

Israel's only interest in the matter is to prevent further attacks on its nation. They have pursued the Hezbollah and destroyed much of its strongholds and its ability to further wage war on Israel. Since the government of Lebanon's official policy was not to impeed the Hezbollah in its goals of eliminating Israel, and many representatives of its other political party actually supporting it, the only choice that Israel had was to talke matters into its own hands...which it has done.

The fact that Israel is taking advice from the U.N. and actually allowing the U.N. to have a say in the matter just proves that the campaign is about over and its major goals have been acheived.

Perhaps in a short time hostilities will cease and Israel can go back to being a civilian population again instead of an Army.

Then, in another 20 years or so the process wil repeat itself just like it always does.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Thanks for pointing that out DR cmg. I think the UN is a washed up, never was organization that we need to pull out of but it does indeed seem to be worded fairly toward Israel.

If the Hez continues their attacks though I'm all for Israel blasting them off the Map.
    Last edited by saltysquid; August 12th, 2006 at 10:51 AM.

Senior Moderator
    Tonight’s action caps a week of intense negotiations on the French and United States-negotiated text, which had been introduced this past Saturday but met with stiff resistance from Arab leaders, who said it disregarded key Lebanese concerns in favour of Israel. It sparked an urgent visit to New York by senior Arab League officials who pleaded Lebanon’s case in a closed-door meeting with United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan and presented to the Council an Arab-backed deal which, included the Lebanese Government’s demand for a broad ceasefire and, among other things, called for a prisoner exchange between Israel and Hizbollah.
    Same ole crap.Never mind that it was the Lebanese Hezbollah that drew first blood. The Arab nations insisted that the resolution be made the "politically correct" and because Israel was kicking azz all the way to the opposite border they held a closed door meeting to making sure that Lebanon wasnt made out to be the bad guys in the deal.

Typical of the mighty U.N.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saltysquid
    Thanks for pointing that out DR cmg. I think the UN is a washed up, never was organization that we need to pull out of but it does indeed seem to be worded fairly toward Israel.
    My personal opinion of the UN is best summed up in an old Southern saying: I think it is as useless as a pail under a bull. I would like to see the US cease funding the UN, fully withdraw from the UN, take back the property upon which the UN building sits, and order the UN to find accomodations elsewhere. Unfortunately neither Congress nor the President has asked me. I would surely vote for candidates that ran on that platform.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg
    I would surely vote for candidates that ran on that platform.
    That's two of us.

Senior Moderator
    Anybody else read the resolution ?

I fing it interesting to note that several of the countrys mentioned in the agreement that had a voice in the process chose to use it as a platform to mention the "plight" of Palestine.

With friends like that, who needs enemies ?

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    Anybody else read the resolution ?

I fing it interesting to note that several of the countrys mentioned in the agreement that had a voice in the process chose to use it as a platform to mention the "plight" of Palestine.

With friends like that, who needs enemies ?
    I didn't read that, but it doesn't suprise me at all.

I agree with you glockman. We are interfering with the rights of a soverign nation. But this seems to be the role of the un. Dr. CMG nailed it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links