"The Walking Dead"

This is a discussion on "The Walking Dead" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by wdbailey Exactly what is the appeal of zombies? Seriously, I don't get it. Maybe it was the effect of having been raised ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: "The Walking Dead"

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by wdbailey View Post
    Exactly what is the appeal of zombies? Seriously, I don't get it.

Maybe it was the effect of having been raised in a fundamentalist church where sermons of Armageddon with locust the size of attack helicopters swarming out of volcanoes makes zombies look pretty poor. Or reading HP Lovecraft with some real freak show monster. Zombies are just ... dead....or sick depending on the mood of the writer and they are just weak and uninteresting as an adversary.

Oh yeah I get that nowadays we have "fast" zombies and whatnot...that just proves the point that they are really weak and always will be.
    It was best put in the first episode of the series- "One, two, maybe even three don't seem like much. But, you get a pack of 'em, all hungry and swarming... that's different."

Oh, NO SPOILERS!

I don't have cable, or satellite and so can't watch as the new episodes come out.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

2. Remove Ads

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    It was best put in the first episode of the series- "One, two, maybe even three don't seem like much. But, you get a pack of 'em, all hungry and swarming... that's different."

Oh, NO SPOILERS!

I don't have cable, or satellite and so can't watch as the new episodes come out.

Well the last 2 minutes of the Oct. 30 show will shock the heck out of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Some people think that zombies have their appeal as a potent metaphor for death in the abstract. For this, slow zombies are perfect. They can be all around you, and you can spot some and avoid them from pretty far enough. They seem like they should be avoidable. Just keep making the right decisions. But then sometimes the wrong decisions look like the right ones, and suddenly--even though they are slow and predictable and you should be able to avoid them, you've let yourself get in a corner, or a basement, or you've gone back to get something you should have remembered or just left behind. Human frailty and judgment can keep you safe or bring you down.
    Zombies are slow like a tortoise. We, those of us that are alive, are much faster. Like a hare in comparison you might say.
    Just sayin.

Michael
    Ishmael likes this.

OD*
    Come to find out just now, after talking with good buddy of mine , I actually know a real Walking Dead.

He's gonna send me one of his patches.
    SIGguy229 and Katana like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I always knew that Shane was up to no good. 1st he was sleeping with his friends wife and now this.....
    shooterX and OD* like this.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    I always knew that Shane was up to no good. 1st he was sleeping with his friends wife and now this.....
    That was kinda wrong, but keep in mind what they went through- they both thought Rick was dead, and you know she had some kind of 'hewasmyhusband'sfriendandhesavedmeandmyson' complex.

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I don't know, if the priority was to save that kid, looks like Shane was the right guy to send.

VIP Member
    In the comics/graphic novel, Shane doesn't live this long, he tried to kill Rick in the woods shortly after Rick had first shown up alive, when Rick's back was turned, he was about to shoot in the back, Rick's son Carl pulled his own gun and shot Shane dead.
    So I am guessing they decided to make his true colors show through in a different manner.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    The Shane and Lori shack-up: the vow is till death do we part and they both (especially Lori) thought Rick was dead. One could argue that Shane knew Rick was not dead when he left him in the hospital but, ceartainly, he was going to die shortly there after either from lack of medical attention or the Zombies. Reflecting on the hospital scene from the series premier, when Shane checked for a heartbeat did he or did he not hear Rick's heartbeat? For arguements sake let us assume Shane did detect a heartbeat; Shane is pragmatic, Rick was in a coma there was no way to treat Rick in that condition not to mention had Shane tried to rescue Rick it is most likely neither of them would have survived. In that light fast forward to the most recent episode; Shane exhibited the same pragmatism. Now take that survival instinct and think about the fact that Shane made sure he was going to be able to provide the means to ensure Carl's survival. Is Shane evil, maybe; is Shane practical and nearly heartless, yes; is Shane insane, I doubt it.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    In the comics/graphic novel, Shane doesn't live this long, he tried to kill Rick in the woods shortly after Rick had first shown up alive, when Rick's back was turned, he was about to shoot in the back, Rick's son Carl pulled his own gun and shot Shane dead.
    So I am guessing they decided to make his true colors show through in a different manner.
    I sure hope it doesn't follow the plot of some kids comic book. I am glad to see the writers are straying from that and making up a somewhat different story line. Killing off characters that are really starting to develop makes no sense. Shane is becoming sociopathic and I like it. I can't wait until Merle Dixon shows up.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I sure hope it doesn't follow the plot of some kids comic book. I am glad to see the writers are straying from that and making up a somewhat different story line. Killing off characters that are really starting to develop makes no sense. Shane is becoming sociopathic and I like it. I can't wait until Merle Dixon shows up.
    The Walking Dead is anything but a kids comic book. It contains nudity, language, and other adult situations. And so far it has only loosely followed the books.

And killing off a character that is developing, if done right, can add a level of shock to the story line, but as you stated, he is becoming sociopathic, or, the situation is just revealing his true nature as a sociopath.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    ... Shane is becoming sociopathic and I like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    ... but as you stated, he is becoming sociopathic, or, the situation is just revealing his true nature as a sociopath.
    I am not so sure he is a sociopath, clearly he has a conscience, he was emotional in regardss to the hair that was pulled out of his scalp, he seemed privately remorseful. He does feel socal responsibility; he could have just run (limped) away but he made sure that he recovered the second backpack at risk to his own safety; the only reason for that action is moral and social accountability to Rick/Carl/Lori.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    I am not so sure he is a sociopath, clearly he has a conscience, he was emotional in regardss to the hair that was pulled out of his scalp, he seemed privately remorseful. He does feel socal responsibility; he could have just run (limped) away but he made sure that he recovered the second backpack at risk to his own safety; the only reason for that action is moral and social accountability to Rick/Carl/Lori.
    SPOILER ALERT do not read any further...

lying and sleeping with another mans wife
    contemplating shooting rick in the woods
    beating the wife beater almost to death
    attempted rape
    wanting to strike out on his own
    shooting otis instead of letting him cover him like he offered

I would say that he is exhibiting sociopathic behavior....

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    That was kinda wrong, but keep in mind what they went through- they both thought Rick was dead, and you know she had some kind of 'hewasmyhusband'sfriendandhesavedmeandmyson' complex.
    Yea but we don't know if Shane truly knew that Rick was dead or not. Plus remember back in the 1st season when Shane pointed the shotgun at Rick and was (assuming) thinking about pulling the trigger. Shane is no good.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Yea but we don't know if Shane truly knew that Rick was dead or not. Plus remember back in the 1st season when Shane pointed the shotgun at Rick and was (assuming) thinking about pulling the trigger. Shane is no good.
    I'm not defending that. Just saying about the rest.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links