Pumped Up Kicks (better run)

This is a discussion on Pumped Up Kicks (better run) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just thought I'd share this with you in case you're not "in the know" with what's going on with pop culture/our youth. Don't get me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Pumped Up Kicks (better run)

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

Pumped Up Kicks (better run)

Just thought I'd share this with you in case you're not "in the know" with what's going on with pop culture/our youth.

Don't get me wrong. I am by no means Dick Clark. I mostly listen to outdated music from iTunes if I'm not listening to talk radio. A friend that has a teen son shared this with me or I probably wouldn't know about this song, even today. By the time I usually find out about the newest thing, its usually not that "new" anymore.

Now to the point;

I'm sure that I'm not the only one that thinks its very disturbing for a pop song to be out with lyrics such as this one. I've posted the video as well as lyrics below for you to judge things for yourself.

Basically, this kid has found his dad's gun and is going to go on a shooting rampage; he's going to get those kids with the "pumped up kicks" (tennis shoes/sneakers).

Of course the video for this song is not illustrative as to what is going on in the lyrics. The video is of youth having summer fun with water, good times indeed. The "fun times" images along with peppy music make this song appealing to anyone...anyone that completely ignores the lyrics and ignores how disturbing it is to play such a joyous song that could just as well be about a "Columbine".

I'm a little shocked that people aren't upset about this song and there hasn't been some concern voiced about it.

Robert's got a quick hand.
    He's looking 'round the room, he won't tell you his plan.
    He's got a rolled cigarette, hanging out his mouth he's a cowboy kid.
    Yeah, he found a six shooter gun.
    In his dad's closet with a box of fun things, I don't even know what.
    But he's coming for you, yeah, he's coming for you.

[Chorus x2:]
    All the other kids with the pumped up kicks, you'd better run, better run, outrun my gun.
    All the other kids with the pumped up kicks, you'd better run, better run, faster than my bullet.

Daddy works a long day.
    He's coming home late, yeah, he's coming home late.
    And he's bringing me a surprise.
    His dinner's in the kitchen and it's packed in ice.
    [ From: FOSTER THE PEOPLE - PUMPED UP KICKS LYRICS ]
    I've waited for a long time.
    Yet the slide of my hand is now a quick pulled trigger,
    I reason with my cigarette,
    And say your hair's on fire, you must have lost your wits, yeah.

[Chorus x2:]
    All the other kids with the pumped up kicks, you'd better run, better run, outrun my gun.
    All the other kids with the pumped up kicks, you'd better run, better run, faster than my bullet.

Run, run, run, run, ru- ru- ru- run, run, run, ru- ru- ru- run, run, run, ru- ru- ru- run, ru- run, run, run, run.
    [Whistling]

[Chorus x3:]

Read more: FOSTER THE PEOPLE - PUMPED UP KICKS LYRICS FOSTER THE PEOPLE - PUMPED UP KICKS LYRICS
    Copied from MetroLyrics.com

2. Remove Ads

I am not a lyrics guy I tend to listen to the music and not focus on the words. Part of that is because it seems hard to understand them anymore. I have heard this song before and had no idea what the words were.
    The music and video seem completely innocent.

Aside from those with an already messed up brain do kids think about these lyrics or are they like me and it's more about the music and they don't really think about the meaning of songs like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ducmonster View Post
    I am not a lyrics guy I tend to listen to the music and not focus on the words. Part of that is because it seems hard to understand them anymore. I have heard this song before and had no idea what the words were.
    The music and video seem completely innocent.

Aside from those with an already messed up brain do kids think about these lyrics or are they like me and it's more about the music and they don't really think about the meaning of songs like this?
    I understand what you're saying. I'm sure mosts parents don't know what the lyrics are either and that's how this song is probably going under the radar.

It would be interesting to find out if kids know the lyrics and know what this song is about.

At the same time though, don't you think this song is glorifying "Columbine" shootings?

It would be impossible to comment on why nobody can do anything about lyrics like this (and much worse that's been in "rap" lyrics for years) along with many other things that nobody can do anything about anymore without quickly going politically incorrect and violating the rules of our forum. In the most mild terms possible, law abiding citizens, the values which this country has always stood for and upheld, the country itself, and our Constitution are all under attack by those who know we can only be defeated by a slow and methodical erosion from within by skillfull manipulation of a liberal court system that turns our own freedoms against us as a weapon for our ultimate distruction insead of the protection for which our freedoms were intended.

Every day you hear about the legal system being prostituted by attorneys and lawsuits representing those subversive organizations using their power, money and skillful manipulation of the liberal court system and news media to carry on their agenda of chipping away at basic freedoms guaranteed under our Constitution by twisting the meaning and intent of other parts of the Constitution to, in a sense, self-destruct. And after a particular freedom upon which this country was founded is compromised (for the majority sector who honor and uphold it), that same diminished freedom for the majority will concurently be legally embellished beyond reason for one of the subversive groups dedicated to manipulating this country into "minority rule via the court system" rather than "majority rule via the ballot box".

If anyone should protest the inflamatory and violence-inducing song lyrics mentioned and try to do something to quash them, you can bet the ACLU and an army of attorneys will be on the courthouse steps in the morning to file a dozen lawsuits for attempting to suppress or deny the First Amendment rights of the sleeze ball author of the lyrics and stifle the free-enterprise interests of all the businesses involved with their publication and distribution. Yet, if anyone wants to exercise their First Amendment rights to say the Pledge of Allegiance or utter a public prayer, the ACLU, atheist organizations, and another battalion of attorneys will be back on the courthouse steps to shut them up (at the risk of going to jail) because professing one's honor of country or religious faith (well, only for certain religions) may offend someone and cause them great mental anguish.

If a kid wears a Cross or Star of David to school, he/she will have to remove it or be sent home because religious artifacts or practices are strictly prohibited by recent enacted "laws" after skillful twisting of Constitutional wording from "freedom of religion" to suddenly mean "freedom from religion" - with the ACLU, and an army of attorneys to ensure the new law is strictly enforced. On the other hand many schools (via lawsuits) are now legally forced to allow some students to frequently leave and disrupt class every few hours for prayer sessions (which are somehow not considered as prayer sessions that are supposedly banned on school or public property) because denial of such would be violating their Constitutional freedoms - go figure??

A kid shows up in school with a tiny pen-knife folded up in his pocket may as well show up with an AK-47 with cops surrounding the building, the kid being suspended from school for the remainder of the year, and parents being frequenty accused of criminal neglect and child endangerment. Yet, the court system has legally forced many schools to allow some students to carry a "sacred dagger" on their belts (which is somehow not interpreted to be either a weapon or a religious artifact) because disallowance of such a sacred object would again be a violation of their Constitutional rights - go figure??

I'm not hammering any particular religion or religion in general because the Constitution provides for "freedom OF religion"; but all laws should equally apply to all religions, all religious artifacts, and all reasonable religious practices without exception. However, while remaining politically correct, I'm sure that everyone here can quickly come up with the same kind of erosive legal attacks on almost every article of our Constitution (including the Second Amendment) which are not only contradictory in application and enforcement between certain factions, but also cleverly designed to slowly take over rule of our country by manipulation of the court system instead of by majority rule at the ballot box. THAT is the reason nobody can do anything about the offensive and dangerous song lyrics, say a prayer in a public place, expect equal opportunity, or do anything else but watch the erosive agenda of small but powerful forces continue to attack and destroy us from within.
    TheGiant and msgt/ret like this.

I don't doubt for a minute that there would be lawsuits and talks of 1A rights if someone were to try to stifle this song. It just seems a bit hypocritical that we have so many stringent laws in regards to kids and guns, i.e., can't carry conceal in a school, can't carry on a college campus, etc. So while we're saying that guns and kids don't go together and we must keep them separated at all costs, somehow all of our concerns are washed away if we have a snappy tune to soothe us. Even if that snappy tune mirrors a "Columbine" like situation, it is happy-go-lucky images that take precedence over substance.

Perhaps I'm wrong about all of this and there are protests that I''m not aware of at this time. I don't believe video games or music make kids into shooters but at the same time, I do believe that there is a certain decorum that makes songs of this nature an inappropriate gesture.

Yeah this new fangled violent music is getting out of hand.

Omie Wise- from circa 1808, based on a true story and sung by a lot of folk singers including Doc Watson.

Oh, listen to my story, I'll tell you no lies,
    How John Lewis did murder poor little Omie Wise.
    He told her to meet him at Adams's Springs.
    He promised her money and other fine things.

So, fool-like she met him at Adams's Springs.
    No money he brought her nor other fine things.

"Go with me, little Omie, and away we will go.
    We'll go and get married and no one will know."

She climbed up behind him and away they did go,
    But off to the river where deep waters flow.

"John Lewis, John Lewis, will you tell me your mind?
    Do you intend to marry me or leave me behind?"

"Little Omie, little Omie, I'll tell you my mind.
    My mind is to drown you and leave you behind."

"Have mercy on my baby and spare me my life,
    I'll go home as a beggar and never be your wife."

He kissed her and hugged her and turned her around,
    Then pushed her in deep waters where he knew that she would drown.

He got on his pony and away he did ride,
    As the screams of little Omie went down by his side.

T'was on a Thursday morning, the rain was pouring down,
    When the people searched for Omie but she could not be found.

Two boys went a-fishin' one fine summer day,
    And saw little Omie's body go floating away.

They threw their net around her and drew her to the bank.
    Her clothes all wet and muddy, they laid her on a plank.

Then sent for John Lewis to come to that place --
    And brought her out before him so that he might see her face.

He made no confession but they carried him to jail,
    No friends or relations would go on his bail.

Doc Watson - Omie Wise - YouTube
    torgo1968 likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Yeah this new fangled violent music is getting out of hand.

Omie Wise- from circa 1808, based on a true story and sung by a lot of folk singers including Doc Watson.

Oh, listen to my story, I'll tell you no lies,
    How John Lewis did murder poor little Omie Wise.
    He told her to meet him at Adams's Springs.
    He promised her money and other fine things.

So, fool-like she met him at Adams's Springs.
    No money he brought her nor other fine things.

"Go with me, little Omie, and away we will go.
    We'll go and get married and no one will know."

She climbed up behind him and away they did go,
    But off to the river where deep waters flow.

"John Lewis, John Lewis, will you tell me your mind?
    Do you intend to marry me or leave me behind?"

"Little Omie, little Omie, I'll tell you my mind.
    My mind is to drown you and leave you behind."

"Have mercy on my baby and spare me my life,
    I'll go home as a beggar and never be your wife."

He kissed her and hugged her and turned her around,
    Then pushed her in deep waters where he knew that she would drown.

He got on his pony and away he did ride,
    As the screams of little Omie went down by his side.

T'was on a Thursday morning, the rain was pouring down,
    When the people searched for Omie but she could not be found.

Two boys went a-fishin' one fine summer day,
    And saw little Omie's body go floating away.

They threw their net around her and drew her to the bank.
    Her clothes all wet and muddy, they laid her on a plank.

Then sent for John Lewis to come to that place --
    And brought her out before him so that he might see her face.

He made no confession but they carried him to jail,
    No friends or relations would go on his bail.

Doc Watson - Omie Wise - YouTube
    I appreciate the perspective that you are introducing to this topic, however, I am not sure if I agree with its implication.

I'm going to refrain from judging this song written in 1808 given that I lack the historical context. Was this song well received? Was it controversial? Was this a song typically found in bars/taverns or was it a song that was as popular with the youth as it was with grandmothers? Was the murder of Omie Wise a significant event that dramatically affected the lives of Americans? All of these things frame the context of the song which plays into the relevance that it may or may not have pertaining to this topic.

Columbine is a historical event that has left a dramatic effect on this country in how schools are organized, in how schools formulate rules and procedures that relate to student welfare as well as disciplinarian measures that are implemented accordingly. In some ways, Columbine set a precedent in that most if not all school shootings are compared to it and use it as a metaphorical yardstick. Irrespective, however, of how "factual" elements relate to Columbine, it remains to be an emotional issue with Americans because events of such magnitude threaten the welfare of our children.

Given the importance that our era places on children taking up arms for the purpose of murdering their peers, it stands to reason that a song with a joyous melody accompanied with images of youth and innocence is troubling, to say the least. Most of us do not have children that were victims of a school shooting but should this preclude us from having empathy?

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    ...it is happy-go-lucky images that take precedence over substance.
    This is the world of today...or to quote somebody else..."It's the end of the world as we know it..."

What I really believe about this particular song, though, is, it's the requisite shallow anti-gun song from a group who's trying to make themselves seem "heavy" and "intellectual" and "socially conscious" to the average 13-17 year old (not that difficult to accomplish, as long as one's somewhat near their age and is appropriately unthinking and anti-everything). It's just a band trying to capitalize on a rebellious and self centered time of life.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Wow, what a new and unheard of terror! Violent lyrics in popular music? I'm aghast. Folks, this is nothing new. Every single adult generation loses their minds over the music of the younger one. We've heard the panic over this before and it's just that, panic. Gangster rap and such have been going strong for over two decades, yet murder has dropped by half during the same time.

VIP Member
    I remember when my mom freaked out when she listened the the lyrics of "Running with the Devil" off one of my Van Halen albums.

I didn't actually run with the devil. I just thought Eddie Van Halen was the most awesome guitarist that I've ever heard (I was right).
    C hawk Glock likes this.

I'm just pointing out that violent lyrics have been around for a long time in some form or another. Omie Wise is in the same vein as Tom Dooley ( or Dula actually). A shocking report of a violent crime set to music. Part entertainment, part journalist.

If you want violent lyrics set to up beat music you need to listen to bluegrass. The happiest sad music around.

I don't think the lyrics effect a well grounded young person. The less grounded ones though, can take it to an entirely different level.
    DefConGun likes this.

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    This is the world of today...or to quote somebody else..."It's the end of the world as we know it..."

What I really believe about this particular song, though, is, it's the requisite shallow anti-gun song from a group who's trying to make themselves seem "heavy" and "intellectual" and "socially conscious" to the average 13-17 year old (not that difficult to accomplish, as long as one's somewhat near their age and is appropriately unthinking and anti-everything). It's just a band trying to capitalize on a rebellious and self centered time of life.
    Thank you for your input. I had not considered this, perhaps your are right. I'm sure everyone wants to be "relevant" but at the same time the kids won't buy your music if its a drag. You gotta have something that has a beat that you can dance to, right?

Great points, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by torgo1968 View Post
    Wow, what a new and unheard of terror! Violent lyrics in popular music? I'm aghast. Folks, this is nothing new. Every single adult generation loses their minds over the music of the younger one. We've heard the panic over this before and it's just that, panic. Gangster rap and such have been going strong for over two decades, yet murder has dropped by half during the same time.
    Your condescension and straw man is a wasted effort here. I'm not suggesting that problematic lyrics in popular music is anything new nor have I made any efforts to raise a panic. Perhaps older generations have been at odds with popular music in the past because the culture from which it is derived from is problematic. I would suggest that music doesn't make anyone bad. Music is nothing more than a reflection from the culture it is conceived in, etc. If music glorifies; drugs, promiscuity, prostitution, belittlement of women or assigns merit in being a pimp/drug dealer, it is because the persons immersed in that culture are either engaging in this behavior or they are finding themselves surrounded by this behavior due to its prominence. The kids that are singing this song wouldn't even be singing it if youth rampage shootings haven't had an effect and made an impact in this country. IMO, it is completely devoid of decorum to approach this subject matter with a cavalier "fun in the sun" disposition. We can't legislate "respect" but I hope if anyone ever meets the parent of a child that is a victim of a rampage shooting, that they show that parent more empathy and respect than the empathy and respect that this song gives the subject matter.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I remember when my mom freaked out when she listened the the lyrics of "Running with the Devil" off one of my Van Halen albums.

I didn't actually run with the devil. I just thought Eddie Van Halen was the most awesome guitarist that I've ever heard (I was right).
    I remember when people were freaking out over songs that talk about suicide. Wasn't there a lawsuit over such a thing? I think it might have been an Ozzy song. They were trying to say that these kinds of songs are going to make kids kill themselves. I don't remember anything ever coming out to substantiate such a claim.

I don't think that "Pumped Up Kicks" is going to cause rampage shootings. I do, however, think its poor taste to put a snappy beat to a song about something like this and have kids dance to it.

Suicide Solution by Ozzy.

Wine is fine but whiskey's quicker
    Suicide is slow with liquor
    Take a bottle, drown your sorrows
    Then it floods away tomorrows

Ozzy Osbourne - Suicide Solution lyrics - YouTube

McCollum v CBS

The trial court dismissed the McCollum's complaint holding that the First Amendment was an absolute bar to the lawsuit. On appeal, the California Court of Appeals affirmed the lower court decision holding that there was nothing in any of Osbourne's songs that could be characterized as a literal command to an immediate suicidal act, nor was it intended as such.

Art on Trial: Audience Reaction to Art: Who is Responsible?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links