Dog Survives Gas Chamber

This is a discussion on Dog Survives Gas Chamber within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If his dog survived the gas chamber, the air in NJ will be fine for him. Dog Survives Gas Chamber At Alabama Shelter, Is Sent ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kb2wji

Thread: Dog Survives Gas Chamber

Dog Survives Gas Chamber

If his dog survived the gas chamber, the air in NJ will be fine for him.

Dog Survives Gas Chamber At Alabama Shelter, Is Sent To New Jersey For Adoption

The Huffington Post Tara Kelly
    First Posted: 10/28/11 04:20 PM ET Updated: 10/28/11 04:26 PM ET

A 20-pound beagle named Daniel surprised animal control officials after escaping death in a gas chamber, reports the Associated Press.

After no one claimed the stray dog at a shelter in Florence, Alabama, Daniel and 17 other unadopted pets were sent to the gas chamber, notes the New Jersey Star Ledger.

But after 17 minutes, Daniel was the only pet to miraculously survive, said animal control officer Vincent Grasso of Florence, Alabama in an interview with NBC.

The dog has now found refuge in Rockaway, New Jersey, after Linda Schiller, founder of Eleventh Hour Rescue arranged for the dog to be flown up north with the help of Pilots N Paws, a network of registered pilots who voluntarily relocate animals to rescue groups, reports The New Jersey Star Ledger.

Florence city spokesman Phil Stevenson says no one is sure why Daniel survived, but cites three animals who've survived the gas chamber over the past 12 years or so, reports AP.

The Humane Society estimates that between six and eight million animals are brought to shelters every year, and three to four million of them are euthanized in the gas chambers.

Schiller is hopeful Daniel's survival will raise awareness of the campaign to stop gassing unadopted pets. Many states have banned gas chambers for euthanizing pets, including Alabama. But that law won't come into effect until next year, reports NBC.

How does the saying go? It is not the size of the dog in the fight but the fight inside the dog. This dog is a fighter.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I like to see a good dog come out on top!

Hooray for Daniel!
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

I thought a "gas chamber" in Alabama was 2 guys in a single cab pickup engaging in a farting contest after eating boiled cabbage,that is one lucky dog
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I hate seeing animals in this situation. I cant imagine what that poor dog had to endure. A life of neglect, then the gas chamber. Its disgusting. That dog knew he was being put down. I wish I had the means to save all of those poor animals. All they want to do is run around, have some fun, and love somebody. It just sucks.
    boricua likes this.

I do have a heart for animals who have been mistreated...glad this dog was a fighter and will survive.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I read the article in our newspaper the other day, and at least they didn't try to gas it a 2nd time. They said they got numerous calls on people wanting to adopt it. So, why were they gassing it ?

Glad he survived it all , and got a home.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

^ Funny how that happens. Theres billions of animals waiting to be adopted, but not many people are breaking down the doors at the shelters. If one particular dog is "profiled" or advertised....everyone wants to adopt it. Either way its just sad

I saw today where hundreds of people want to adopt Daniel.
    Who wouldn't want a beagle? I had one and they are great people dogs.
    There was that barking at the moon thing that drove me crazy, though.

Links