Trooper pulls over off duty police officer going 120 MPH. - Page 4

Trooper pulls over off duty police officer going 120 MPH.

This is a discussion on Trooper pulls over off duty police officer going 120 MPH. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by HotGuns Probably before the days of the internet. I doubt that would happen now. Yeah, a bit prior. I hope you're right....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Trooper pulls over off duty police officer going 120 MPH.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Probably before the days of the internet. I doubt that would happen now.
    Yeah, a bit prior. I hope you're right.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I was riding along with a buddy of mine who is an officer in a small town. It was later at night and we were heading north when a car shot past us heading south at a high rate of speed. We turned around and sped up to catch the person, hitting the lights in the process. Our car hit 95 catching up to the guy who was going 75 and about to go into town. When we caught up to him, the car we were chasing hit his lights too! Turns out it was a State Trooper heading to a call across the county, and we just happened to come across him.
    Neither myself or my buddy were happy because we had to speed to catch him, he was speeding initially without his red and blues on, and we had no way of knowing because the State Patrol operates on a different radio frequency from local cops and the sheriff.

I have respect for officers, but sometimes they need to think about how they might endanger people with their actions.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    Stop, just stop, no one forced them (you) into the job, no one makes them (you) stay there and the pay structure is well know before the choice is made. Just stop, we all do what we need to do.
    There are quite a few cities that are cutting the pay of their officers. I've personally experienced my benefits cost going skyward, while our overtime pay went away. Is it what I signed up for? No. I would hope that anyone with a job would experience at the least, a steady financial situation. Many officers are experiencing a decline in income. Many of us have ever increasing expenses, with decreasing pay.

I work two "extra jobs" that I really wish I didnt have to. I do what I need to do to pay the bills. I'm not excusing this officers insane behavior, but please dont dismiss the financial difficulty thinking that "well they signed up for it, so its their own fault".

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    There are quite a few cities that are cutting the pay of their officers. I've personally experienced my benefits cost going skyward, while our overtime pay went away. Is it what I signed up for? No. I would hope that anyone with a job would experience at the least, a steady financial situation. Many officers are experiencing a decline in income. Many of us have ever increasing expenses, with decreasing pay.

I work two "extra jobs" that I really wish I didnt have to. I do what I need to do to pay the bills. I'm not excusing this officers insane behavior, but please dont dismiss the financial difficulty thinking that "well they signed up for it, so its their own fault".

Throw a dart at a map. That's happening to people in every walk of life in that town too. And when they break the law, they should get punished, regardless of their financial situation, or the reason for breaking the law.

That wasnt my point.
    I stated that his insane behavior is not excusable. His behavior had nothing to do with his financial situation.

I re-read and apologize for mis-reading in the first place. We are on the same side of the coin after all :) Carry on.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason
    My personal experience tells me nothing would happen. An on duty, unlit unit, responding at twice the speed limit without authorization, on a minor call killed a friend of mine in high school. The light was green and she turned in front of him expecting he was doing 45, not 90. Absolutely nothing was done about it. I can say that because a family member worked at the department. The "professional courtesy" runs far and deep around here.
    There was an incident in my area not too long ago. When this thread came out a few days ago, I tried to find references to it but wasn't having any luck. Basically, an off duty sheriff was traveling at about 90 MPH in a 55 MPH zone. Someone made a turn in front of him judging the distance based upon him going closer to the speed limit. The sheriff t-boned the car. I cant recall if the occupants were killed or not, but I think that at least one of them was. Initially the sheriff wasn't charged, or even given a ticket. The story hit the news and there was such a massive public outcry that the sheriff turned himself into the highway patrol.

I have noticed routinely on the highways, which are posted at 65, that unmarked highway patrol cars are doing about 75-80 MPH, weaving in and out of traffic. While there may sometimes be valid reasons for this, there is also the concept of being above reproach, which is one of the tenants of earning respect in any authoritative position.

Mind you I am not putting all LEOs in this category but I have seen alot going WAY over the posted speed limit, I followed a MD State Trooper one day who was wearing a gray hooded sweat shirt, obviously not his uniform going so fast on Rte. 136 I couldn't keep up, he eventually caught up with a slower moving vehicle and I caught up with him, come to find out he had a small child in the back seat, how do I know this? He reached back to hand the child a drink, so why was he speeding so much.......because he was in a State Police car and could. I feel there are too many who do the same thing, as the guy who was late for work was doing, he was in a police car and in uniform so he thought he could get away with it.

VIP Member

I hear you and understand what you are saying. Many people, in lots of professions have taken pay cuts, gotten benefit cuts and had to pay more for the benefits - the benefit cuts and increased contributions to the benefits by employees has been going on in the private sector for 20 or so years. It is not what we signed up for, but you have no choice but to pay up.

In the current economy, many have just been fired for nothing they did wrong and lots of these folks have been unable to find employment or have taken significant pay cuts. It is not what they signed up for either, but that is the reality in this economy.

I hear what you are saying and it is not fun or fair, but it also is not targeting public sector empolyees to the exclusion of others. Do you still have a defined benefit retirement plan? Around here the public sector employees still do. Those are largely dead and gone in the private sector.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Just a few miles from where I'm sitting right now a officer was doing 90 in a 45 mph zone without his red and blues on blowing through intersections and t-boned a small pick up. The LEO was speeding and running red lights. The driver of the pick up was killed instantly. The police department suspended him until further investigation whiuch lasted about 3 months then they fired him ,he is now a police officer in Ohio

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    The trooper was prudent, and justified in her actions. She was protected the public as is her sworn duty.

Lets recap the facts:

-Cruiser traveling up to 120 MPH on light rain and light fog, at night
    -Cruiser is not lit up
    -Curiser makes multiple lane changes
    -Cruiser fails to stop for several minutes
    -Cruiser finally stops on the left shoulder, not the right shoulder

If any civilian were doing that, they would have been arrested on the spot and taken to jail with numerous charges. The fact that he was an officer is irrelevant in this case. He was off duty, recklessly operating a department issued vehicle, failed to stop, and was not on official business. I think a suspension is in order.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for professional courtesy, but the officer was not acting as a professionally. I think the trooper showed great restraint and handled herself very well. What do you say?
    BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!What would have happened to you or I?

The thing is if she did not execute a stop,just letting commom courtesy between officers overide this,and he was involved in a T.A.,when her footage from her D.C. was reveiwed by her Supervisor,she would be held accountable also.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    Cops shouldn't need to work part time jobs....I think it is quite sad that many are forced into that position due to low pay. Lets tack financial stresses onto an already stressful job...sounds like a good plan to me...and we wonder why some of them lose it on occasion.

My issue is with your or Roon's statement that:
    Cops shouldn't need to work part time jobs....
    Why, how can you believe the LE community is that superior to the rest of the country. That attitude or aire of superiority frustrates me; and yes, we all sign up for our employment, we make our choices. I doubt you are contractually obligated to stay with your current employer if the grass is greener elsewhere then, change your employment.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

OP : She keeps her road ... SAFE ...... LOL.

Dumb , dumb, dumb on the part of the off -duty officer. He is not "entitled" , nor should he get a 'free pass'.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    Of course she handled it correctly, it's nice to see an officer willing to hold fellow LEO's accountable.
    Sadly, she'll catch a load of poop over this. We need more like her. Maybe the publicity will give her some cover.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links