Trooper pulls over off duty police officer going 120 MPH.

This is a discussion on Trooper pulls over off duty police officer going 120 MPH. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Miami FOP Defends Speeding Officer - Miami News Story - WPLG Miami "MIAMI -- The Miami Fraternal Order of Police defended one of its officers ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Trooper pulls over off duty police officer going 120 MPH.

Miami FOP Defends Speeding Officer - Miami News Story - WPLG Miami

Miami FOP Defends Speeding Officer - Miami News Story - WPLG Miami

"MIAMI -- The Miami Fraternal Order of Police defended one of its officers who FHP said was pulled over by a state trooper while driving a Miami police cruiser 120 mph on Florida's Turnpike.

Officer Fausto Lopez, 35, was charged with reckless driving in the Oct. 11 incident. An FHP trooper pulled Lopez over in the southbound lanes of Florida's Turnpike near Hollywood Boulevard after following him for 12 miles in seven minutes at speeds reaching 120 mph, police said.

The police officer drew her weapon when Lopez finally pulled over, then handcuffed him.

In a letter, Sergeant Javier Ortiz defended Lopez, writing, "Pulling a firearm on a police officer in full uniform in a marked unit is extremely reckless and unprofessional."

Ortiz, the vice president of the order, questioned the FHP trooper's motives, writing that she only wanted to cite a City of Miami police officer.

On the dash cam video, the FHP trooper is heard saying, "This is not a first time occurrence with y'all. Y'all come from that way all the time -- this Miami police car -- and we never catch it."

Ortiz also questioned why the FHP trooper, if she thought the vehicle was stolen, didn't conduct a felony stop and wait for back-up. He said that Lopez was not driving 120 mph.

"Why did she continue to follow the police vehicle after being told several times to stop by her supervisors? Why didn't she verify with dispatch if any Miami Police Department vehicles were stolen? "Why did she activate her police equipment when she can't even see the police vehicle?" he wrote.

FHP defended the trooper's actions, saying it could have been important to stop the police cruiser if it had been stolen or if its driver was involved in a crime.

"She wanted to, evidently, make contact with him, detain him, to find out what was causing him to drive in that fashion," said Sgt. Mark Wysocky, of FHP.

Lopez was given a reckless driving ticket. He faces a court hearing for the second-degree misdemeanor.

Lopez has been with the Miami Police Department for several years and has had a good driving record, both before and after becoming a police officer. He remains on duty. The police chief said he is waiting for the outcome of the criminal charge and an internal affairs investigation. "
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

2. Remove Ads

I'm interested in this case from a different angle. Are they being too linient on this LEO, becasue he is a cop? If it were you or me, would they have treated us differently? Being from South Florida, I know that the city of Miami has financial troubles and is looking to cut it's budget. So I want to ask the the city administrators, why are they allowing this LEO to take home a patrol car, and drive to another county for a second job?!?!? From what I've seen and heard, this LEO was travelling north of the city approximately 30-40 Plus miles to this second job. I don't know what the city pays for fuel, but I'm sure it's not less than $3.00 a gallon. The city can not say on one hand that they don't have the funds in the budget, and proceed to lay-off employees and on the other hand allow LEO to use their patrol cars for personal reasons. That's my angle!!
    Hoganbeg likes this.

^ Most of us actually pay for the use of our cars for "side jobs". I pay a bi-weekly fee for the use of my city car.

Also, sometimes it APPEARS that the courts are too lenient on LEO's. The maximum pentalty for reckless driving in my city is a $50 fine, plus court costs. LEO or not, thats it. 50 bucks. If a LEO were to get a $50 fine, the public would be outraged that its "only $50", but thats the max. Depends on the jurisdiction. Some are more lenient than others.

Thank you Secret Spuk! I hated writing tickets too. I found that giving warnings usually worked out the best for both fellow LEO's and civilians. Of the thousands of Warnings I gave, I only recall a couple that I actually caught the second time..............their response............"Damn, give me the ticket, I should have listened" To me the tickets were just a money making deal for the government you worked for.

I will admit that some FHP officers love to pick on other LEO's. (why? you ask. For many years it was because most other departments made much more money than the troopers). I'm not saying that the Miami officer was right or wrong. I want to see the full information prior to jumping to conclusions.

OOOH,you are getting an infraction!
    Quote Originally Posted by NRAMAN View Post
    Thank you Secret Spuk! I hated writing tickets too. I found that giving warnings usually worked out the best for both fellow LEO's and civilians. Of the thousands of Warnings I gave, I only recall a couple that I actually caught the second time..............their response............"Damn, give me the ticket, I should have listened" To me the tickets were just a money making deal for the government you worked for.

VIP Member
    Miami FOP = Miami Fools Order Police. What an idiot - Sergeant Javier Ortiz. He should get suspended too. They have lost sight of their departments values, and are unable to admit when they have made a mistake. Fools, one and all.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Miami FOP = Miami Fools Order Police. What an idiot - Sergeant Javier Ortiz. He should get suspended too. They have lost sight of their departments values, and are unable to admit when they have made a mistake. Fools, one and all.
    The problem is that this guy, for the time being at least, has become the poster child for the entire dept. It's not fair, but I am sure that other officers, who don't think or act like this guy, will be paying for this too.

In this particular case, has there been any explanation for the guys actions other than his claim that he wasn't going 120 MPH?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links