Trooper pulls over off duty police officer going 120 MPH.

This is a discussion on Trooper pulls over off duty police officer going 120 MPH. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here's a news story and video from another forum. Patrolling trooper spots another police car traveling at 120 MPH. She follows for several minutes and ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Trooper pulls over off duty police officer going 120 MPH.

Here's a news story and video from another forum. Patrolling trooper spots another police car traveling at 120 MPH. She follows for several minutes and then gets him to stop. Was she prudent in her actions or over the top? You can fast forward to the 7:00 mark to see the stop.

Miami Police Officer Caught Driving 120 mph - Miami News Story - WPLG Miami

Senior Moderator
    Over the top?

No.

Technically, she could have arrested him and that might have been the end of his career.I'm sure it would have caused a big mess between departments, but the off duty cop was breaking the law.

She pulled her gun because it is out of character for a police car to be going that fast without lights or siren. For all she knew, it could have been stolen.

I'd also be willing to bet that Mr.Speedo will be disciplined for acting the fool.

And he was acting the fool. Speeding along at 120 MPH was not only reckless, but he was endangering everyone else around him. Going that fast, even with lights and siren blazing is dangerous and it takes a long time to stop.

What do you suppose would have happened if Mr. Speedo got into a wreck and killed someone? It would be a major liability for his Dept. and very, very expensive.

In my opinion,she did the right thing.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

You don't see this happen very often, professional courtesy being what it is, but I think the FHP trooper was correct in this instance. I personally am not a big fan of the "do as I say, not as I do" mentality that some of our LEO's appear to live by. IMO setting a good example would go a long way toward improving many people's opinions of LEO's. Just my opinion. Flame away.
    Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else. - Margaret Mead

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbmike View Post
    You don't see this happen very often, professional courtesy being what it is, but I think the FHP trooper was correct in this instance. I personally am not a big fan of the "do as I say, not as I do" mentality that some of our LEO's appear to live by. IMO setting a good example would go a long way toward improving many people's opinions of LEO's. Just my opinion. Flame away.
    No flame here, just so long as we agree that the issue is not all LEOs, just a few bad eggs; and, those that turn a blind eye towards their miscreant brothers.

I just watched the video, I am sure I would have been handled and charged far more harshly than the fellow officer; seriously "fleeing" for close to 10 minutes.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Distinguished Member
    Way to jeopardize his career for an off-duty gig.

IMHO the trooper handled it right.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

bbqgrill: Definitely agree that not all LEO's are like that. I have a great deal of respect for what LEO's have to face day in and day out on their jobs. A couple of local county officers happen to be good friends of mine and after listening to what they go through, I'm glad it's them and not me doing it. I just don't happen to agree with the double standards some of them set.
    Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else. - Margaret Mead

VIP Member
    "You know what you are to me? You are a criminal," she told him."

That trooper is my hero. Her slight redneck accent while she chews his butt is awesome.

Of course she handled it correctly, it's nice to see an officer willing to hold fellow LEO's accountable.
    ksholder and Spec like this.

VIP Member
    The trooper was prudent, and justified in her actions. She was protected the public as is her sworn duty.

Lets recap the facts:

-Cruiser traveling up to 120 MPH on light rain and light fog, at night
    -Cruiser is not lit up
    -Curiser makes multiple lane changes
    -Cruiser fails to stop for several minutes
    -Cruiser finally stops on the left shoulder, not the right shoulder

If any civilian were doing that, they would have been arrested on the spot and taken to jail with numerous charges. The fact that he was an officer is irrelevant in this case. He was off duty, recklessly operating a department issued vehicle, failed to stop, and was not on official business. I think a suspension is in order.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for professional courtesy, but the officer was not acting as a professionally. I think the trooper showed great restraint and handled herself very well. What do you say?

Angry

Lopez needs his certification taken. He is a complete (o).

He put many lives at risk and then stopped in an unsafe area of the highway continuing to be a safety issue.

We have had several troopers killed over the years making traffic stops and then getting into crashes while on the side of the T-Pike.

No way was the trooper over the top. Her safety is her first concern.

His actions are a negative reflection on all those who wear the badge.

My rant.

OS
    atctimmy and jwhite75 like this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for professional courtesy
    I don't mean to offend anyone but this has ALWAYS bugged me.

There should be no "professional courtesy" when it comes to the law. It is totally unacceptable to let someone off for an offense that would result in a citation or jail time for another simply because of the uniform they wear. I am not sure how anyone can support this behavior.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for professional courtesy, but the officer was not acting as a professionally. I think the trooper showed great restraint and handled herself very well. What do you say?
    Anyone outside the "brotherhood" would have been proned out on the edge of the road, gone to jail and ended up with at best a huge bill for traffic violations.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

During my career I have stopped several other officers from several different agencies. I only made an arrest when there was a CRIME commited. However I get somewhat creative with other cops... like making them wait for long periods of time... Throwing their car keys into an empty lot If they was beligerant. Or just a lecture is usually all it takes. But then I've done the same for civilians too. I hated giving tickets.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    That...was...incredible!

She treated this stop almost as she would/may have any other time. By almost, I mean that I did not hear her call for backup as one might normally do in such a situation. The officer all but ignored her lights & siren as she attempted to catch up & stop him. Once he did acknowledge her presence by pulling one lane to the right, he then proceded to accelerate as if nothing was wrong.

I believe that she handled this stop in an extremely professional manner under the circumstances.

Officer: "Are you serious??" -- Now THERE'S a maroon!!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I agree they should have received the summons. 120 is 10 miles to far. I am comfortable anything under 110. J/K

I was a passenger in AZ we did not notice speed limit down back down and we got pulled over. We started talking to Leo playing I know so and so game and about extending courtesy. He informed us that from being from Ohio originally he would extend a courtesy but that AZ will write Cali leos and Cali will write AZ. I explained here is NY it happens once in a while State Leo will issue NYPD summons and the I am going to wet your boots match starts until the union delegates step in and stops it.

He wrote warning summons and sent us on our way.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links