Upland Bird Dog

This is a discussion on Upland Bird Dog within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by vietnamvet66 I would recommend the English Springer Spaniel. Had one years ago, and have never had as good a dog again. They ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Upland Bird Dog

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vietnamvet66 View Post
    I would recommend the English Springer Spaniel. Had one years ago, and have never had as good a dog again. They are a little quick when young, but settle down with a little training and age. Damn, I still miss her..............
    Yah, field Springers are famous for their speed. My little girl is in her 4th year. She's been working good lately. Gotta get her on some birds!

So, like, apologies for the braggadocio.

Ceasar Milan believes in Exercise > Discipline > Affection. So do I.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Good looking dog!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by MsGunnyBunny View Post
    I too am sorry for your loss. Dogs are such wonderful companions, it's so hard when you lose one.

I agree that adoption is the best way to go and that there are many hunting dogs that are trainable that get dumped at shelters, usually thru no fault of their own. Many people get a dog b/c they think it's cute and have no idea that they will need to train it, walk it, etc. I've been a volunteer with a rescue called Dogwood Sporting Dog Rescue who rescues various hunting breeds from hi-kill shelters in Idaho and Utah mostly, even though we live in BC. While true that many of the dogs are dumped at the shelter b/c they failed hunter training, there are others that are still wonderful hunting dogs. I hope you would consider adopting a rescue dog as they are so wonderful and deserve a second chance.
    Now, my only "issue" with your home is that you plan to keep the dog outside 99% of the time, and in a cold winter place like N Dakota, this really worries me. Dogs need to be inside in cold places like that. Especially dogs who don't have huge thick fur like Huskies, Samoyed's, etc.
    Please consider having your dog inside the house as it is way too cold to keep a dog outside. Also, dogs like to be around people and don't want to be "banished" to the outside.
    The German shorthair that i had was an outside dog and the only time i would let it in was at night if it was going to be below zero the entire night and she would be outside all day when i was at work and then i would work in my garage that isnt hot but around 40 and after about ten mins the dog would want to go back outside into the cold

Bust the inlaws and start a Llewellen Setter puppy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links