Upland Bird Dog

Upland Bird Dog

This is a discussion on Upland Bird Dog within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This last weekend was out hunting with my German Shorthair and she was doing great the best dog that i have hunted behind especially since ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Upland Bird Dog

Upland Bird Dog

This last weekend was out hunting with my German Shorthair and she was doing great the best dog that i have hunted behind especially since she was less then a year and a half old, well long story short she ended up getting hit by a tractor and i had to put her down.
    So i guess the search is on for a new friend, i loved the German shorthair but she was very energetic and with my 10 month old daughter that wasnt always a good thing. i have labs in the past and really prefer to hunt behind a pointing dog, what kind of dogs do you hunt with, and this dog will be an outside dog and i will train it to use my invisible fence that i have installed.

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your canine.
    I'm sure you'll find another good friend.

Here's mine, she chases tractors and buries them.
    Attached Images
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hunted over a German shrthair for years shooting pheasant in illinois - superb dog.

We have Springers and love them for house dogs and upland work BUT they're flushers. Maybe a Brittany? They are a little mellower than springers..but smaller than the labs and shorthairs.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Had a chocolate lab that not only hunted upland game,but she loved hunting ducks and geese,when she saw a flock or gaggle setting their wings to decoy her jaw would start quivering and her eyes never left the birds,if you missed your shot I swear to god she would look at you like "If your gonna shoot like that you might as well leave me at home"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by surefire7 View Post
    We have Springers and love them for house dogs and upland work BUT they're flushers. Maybe a Brittany? They are a little mellower than springers..but smaller than the labs and shorthairs.
    Thats what i was kind of thinking of is a Brittany do you know how much they shed trying to get the the inlaws into letting me have it in the house we are renting from them

I am very sorry for your loss. All of the Brittany's I've seen have also been very energetic. You may end up with the same behavior as your shorthair.

Administrator
    I've hunted over Goldens, Labs, GSP's, Britt's, all of the setters and english pointers. Currently, I have a llewellin setter. I love the dog, but he does shed as much as he eats. If I were going to buy a bird dog and expect it to be a good house dog too, I'd go with a Britt. They can be very hard hunting, yet their smaller size and temperament makes for a good family dog. They do shed a bit, but their hair tends to clump in the corners of the house instead of the fine small hair that gets on everything like the GSP or English pointers. They are much easy to clean up after.

BUT, I see you are in S. Dakota, so you probably have a lot more open land and ground to cover than I do here in Ohio and Kentucky. That means I'd be looking at a bigger dog both in heart and leg. I'm sure a larger American Britt would be just fine, but I would stay away from the smaller French variety that are popular for quail in here in the east. The Britt's are great for brush busting and woods dogs. Hunting open prairie land, I personally want a bigger dog that will range a little farther. A strong male American Britt would be fine I'd think.

Any time you are looking at the hard chargers, GSP's, English pointers and the field setters, they will have an abundance of energy that will need to be channeled in the off season. That can spell trouble for a guy with small kids or a not so understanding wife. I have a heck of a time keeping my backyard put together, as my setter burns more energy in an hour than a locomotive. But, he does settle right down and is a good dog with the kids. Even the mellower varieties (Britt's) do need to have an energy outlet daily. This not only makes for a happier relationship, but it also makes training a lot easier.

Speaking of training, Britt's tend to be a little smarter than the typical bird dog. This is a good thing, if you know and understand that going in. They require a softer approach than your GSP, otherwise, you'll ruin the dog. They will also require mental stimulation. They are not dogs to be kept in a pen or in a dog run 24/7.

With all that said, I like to talk bird dogs as much as I do guns. So, ask any questions you want.
    Last edited by SIXTO; November 2nd, 2011 at 02:53 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Sorry for the loss of your dog.

SIXTO pretty much summed it up. I would love to have a bird dog, but I can't keep a good bird dog occupied in the off season. It would not be fair to my 12 year old lab mix either. She would not tolerate a new comer to the mix. She is a one man dog and my wife tolerates the relationship.

VIP Member
    I was going to suggest a Brittany as well.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks sixto and i live on the east side of the state with less bird numbers and most of them are held up in sloughs and cattails so it is pretty tough walking and i like to stay fairly close to the dog otherwise i couldn't find it in the grass if i couldn't hear it running and then stop. I am guessing it will be an outside dog 99% of the time i will let it in the house in a kennel on cold nights in the winter unless i can convince them otherwise which probably will not happen, how would the britt hold up outside with cold weather, also would it be trainable with one of those electric dog fences as i have one installed but didn't work with my last short hair enough on the fence and she quickly learned that she could just run right by it.

Thanks for all your input

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1k View Post
    Thanks sixto and i live on the east side of the state with less bird numbers and most of them are held up in sloughs and cattails so it is pretty tough walking and i like to stay fairly close to the dog otherwise i couldn't find it in the grass if i couldn't hear it running and then stop. I am guessing it will be an outside dog 99% of the time i will let it in the house in a kennel on cold nights in the winter unless i can convince them otherwise which probably will not happen, how would the britt hold up outside with cold weather, also would it be trainable with one of those electric dog fences as i have one installed but didn't work with my last short hair enough on the fence and she quickly learned that she could just run right by it.

Thanks for all your input
    Yeah, I think a britt would be fine as an outdoor dog, as long as you provided some protection from the wind and precipitation. A good dog house, properly sized, with some straw bedding would be a must. The down side is, Britt's are smart dogs, and will not do well cut off from the family its entire life. They do need mental as well as physical stimulation. So tying one out back and forgetting about it 9 months out of the year is a recipe for disaster for both you and the dog.
    If I were in your shoes, I'd buy one as a young pup, keep it well trained and groomed (try to get your father in law out hunting with you!)... and see it it doesn't win your wife and in laws over. They are very sweet and personable dogs by nature and given the right upbringing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Whatever you end up with, please make it a rescue dog. There are thousands upon thousands looking for homes.

We are fans of GSP's having rescued and placed many. They are very affectionate and loyal, and great in the field. Sorry, I just had to take a short break to fend off a lick attack by our two GSP's.

Here is a partial list of GSP's available in SD. You can also use this site to search for other breeds. And also consider rescuing an adult/older dog. They get rescued less often and are sometimes fully trained and ready to go. We lost our older rescued GSP Gus a few months ago. He was 15 at the time and we had 5 wonderful years with him.

Anyway, here's the list.................

Pet Search Results: Adoptable German Shorthaired Pointer Dog Pets in Brookings, SD: Petfinder
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I Have an old wood dog house that has a electric heater in it that i made for my last dog and she never slept in it she always slept in the shed in some old hay, i am also outside 2-3 nights a week during the week working in the garage or shooting or just doing something i dont like being cooped up in the house and have a part time business working on at atvs and motorcycles so it would get quite a bit of attention and care. then i am out mostly every day on the weekend in the winter it will be hunting and the summer fishing and just being outside and i would take the pup with me everywhere i go on the weekends as long as she was well behaved, and i am working on getting them talked into having a pup in the house. i grew up with atleast three in the house most of my life at my parents and my wife's family never had them in the house. so they think that they just destroy things and make the house worth way less which i know isnt true as long as you have a well behaved pup, i know between the pup and my daughter i will be spending alot of time fixing things that they ruin or break or make a spot on the floor but the enjoyment they bring into the house is worth way more then a few messes to me

Administrator
    I know this guy's location is impractical for you, but he has some nice looking dogs;
    Home
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links